This tutorial is now old and out of date. An updated tutorial for June 2020 is available here: https://morroblivion.com/forums/morroblivion-mod-releases/tutorial-converting-tamriel-rebuilt-2002-for-morroblivion-v065
[REL/WIP] Morrowind-to-Morroblivion ModExporter 2017-Dec-31
The ModExporter is designed to load a TES3 (Morrowind) based ESP/ESM file and export it as a TES4 (Oblivion) ESP which can be played in Morroblivion. It is based off the OpenMW code base. Although it was designed with Tamriel Rebuilt in mind, it can be used with many other Morrowind-based mods. Currently, it will convert landscapes, static meshes, NPCs and weapons. There is partial conversion of creatues, armor, clothing (meshes are substituted instead of converted). Dialog and quests are converted, but not fully usable due to incomplete conversion of scripts. A script translator and byte compiler are partially complete. Future versions will have more complete conversion of scripts and thus more usable dialog and quests.
Below is a tutorial to take you through conversion of Tamriel Rebuilt, the entire process should take about 30 minutes on a modern computer (circa 2017).
OpenMW developers/source-cdoe for doing all the heavy lifting of loading and parsing the TES3-based files. The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages (uesp.net) community for sharing valuable information regarding game engine and file formats of Morrowind and Oblivion.
TESxEdit developers/source-code for definitions of the TES4-based file format.
Zilav for insights and helpful advice in emails and forum posts related to TES4Edit script writing and Oblivion interior and exterior cell cluster organization.
TESRenewal.com community for encouragement, suggestions and help testing and bug reporting throughout the development process.
EDIT: And also...
Galadrielle for original ESPConverter and the long list of contributors to Morroblivion!
Puddles for his work on the Tamriel Rebuilt creature and replacers!
Morroblivion v064 + Unofficial Patch 2017-Dec-18
Tamriel Rebuilt 17.09 + Tamriel Data
OpenMW 0.42 (the Win64 version is required)
Oblivion Character Overhaul 2
Morroblivion Symphony of Creatures
Building the ESPs:
1. Install Morrowind + Tamriel Rebuilt 17.09. For details on how to install TR, go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvKoRflsg4Q
2. Install OpenMW 0.42.
3. Launch OpenMW and import your Morrowind settings.
4. If you have a folder named "C:\Oblivion.output", then make sure it is empty. This is where exported mesh and texture resources will be placed.
5. Unzip the contents of "ModExporter-2017-Dec-31.7z" into the main executable directory for OpenMW.
6. Launch "openmw-modexporter.exe" and click "Edit A Content File".
7. Select Morrowind.esm from the drop down.
8. Put a checkmark next to Tamriel_Data.esm. Click Open.
9. After it's finished loading and the main editor window has loaded, select the menu command: File->Export ESM.
10. In the Export Module dialog window, navigate to your Oblivion\Data directory and click Save. It will be automatically saved as Tamriel_Data.esp.
11. Wait for export to complete, then close the modexporter and relaunch. This time export TR_Mainland.esm to TR_Mainland.esp.
12. Repeat the same steps to export TR_Preview.esp to TR_Preview.esp.
13. Open Wrye Bash and make sure load order is Tamriel_Data.esp, followed by TR_Mainland.esp, followed by TR_Preview.esp. Move all 3 files after Morroblivion_Unofficial_Patch.esp.
14. Install the "Mods-for-ModExporter-2017-Dec-31.7z" with Wrye Bash. Place Morrowind_Compatibility_Layer.esp before Tamriel_Data.esp. Place TR_Fixes.esp and TR_OCO2_facelift.esp after TR_Preview.esp.
15. Create a Bashed Patch and move it after the last TR related esp file. Build the Bashed Patch.
Building the Resources:
1. Landscape and Icon textures should have been exported to C:\Oblivion.output during the ESP export steps above. Leave them there for now.
2. Go to the OpenMW executable directory where you ran the "openmw-modexporer.exe".
3. Open the Morroblivion.ini from that directory.
4. Find and edit the "Morrowind=" line so that it points to the directory where you have installed Morrowind + TR 17.09. Make sure to put a "\" at the end of the line.
5. Go back to the OpenMW executable directory, and look for these files which should have been generated during the ESP export steps above:
ModExporter_NIFConv_Tamriel_Data.bat, ModExporter_NIFConv_TR_Mainland.bat, ModExporter_NIFConv_TR_Preview.bat
6. Double-click "ModExporter_NIFConv_Tamriel_Data.bat". It will start two windowed processes to convert NIF files in parallel. Let it run until you see a message that conversion is complete for both windows. Press any key to close the windows.
7. Repeat step 5 for "ModExporter_NIFConv_TR_Mainland.bat". Then repeat again for "ModExporter_NIFConv_TR_Preview.bat".
8. Now go to the "C:\Oblivion.output\Data" directory.
9. Create a new 7-zip or other Wrye Bash compatible archive from the directories in c:\Oblivion.output\Data.
10. Drag that new archive into the Installers tab of Wrye Bash to let Wrye Bash copy it into the Bash Installers directory.
11. Right-Click on the new archive inside Wrye Bash and click Install.
Building the LOD Resources:
1. After you have archived and installed the resources in C:\Oblivion.output in the above steps, delete the contents of C:\Oblivion.output so you can start with a clean directory.
2. Go back to the OpenMW executable directory, and look for these files:
ModExporter_NIFConv_Tamriel_Data_LOD.bat, ModExporter_NIFConv_TR_Mainland_LOD.bat, ModExporter_NIFConv_TR_Preview_LOD.bat
3. Double-click "ModExporter_NIFConv_Tamriel_Data_LOD.bat". It will start a windowed process to convert NIF files. As above, let it run until you see a message that conversion is complete for both windows. Press any key to close the windows.
4. Repeat step 5 for "ModExporter_NIFConv_TR_Mainland_LOD.bat". Then repeat again for "ModExporter_NIFConv_TR_Preview_LOD.bat".
5. Now go back to the "C:\Oblivion.output\Data" directory.
6. Create a new 7-zip or other Wrye Bash compatible archive from the directories in c:\Oblivion.output\Data. Make sure it has a different name from the archive you made above.
7. Drag that new LOD archive into the Installers tab of Wrye Bash to let Wrye Bash copy it into the Bash Installers directory.
8. Right-Click on the new LOD archive inside Wrye Bash and click Install.
Generating Distant Lands and Objects:
In order to register the LOD meshes and generate distant lands, you will need to run TES4LL and TES4LODGen. Instructions for using these programs can be found on their webpages at Oblivion Nexus.
- required: ModExporter-2017-Dec-31 (ModExporter-2017-Dec-31.7z)
- required: Mods-for-ModExporter-2017-Dec-31 (Mods-for-ModExporter-2017-Dec-31.7z) hosted on Mediafire
- ModExporter-2017-Dec-31 Readme (ModExporter-2017-Dec-31.txt)
- mod-maker's DevKit (testbuild07-devkit.7z)
- Download mirror: https://www.patreon.com/posts/morrowind-to-dec-16152492