4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mehh
Mehh's picture
Creepy!

This is pretty old, and was probably posted here before, but for those of you who haven't read it, enjoy!

thermador
thermador's picture
Administrator
Donor
Morrowind JVK

Yeah I seem to remember that chain letter post going around a while back.  Seems like it has resurfaced lately due to Skyrim or something. 

Decent troll/creepypasta but it breaks down in several places... 

1) Morrowind can't/doesn't run in DOSbox.  It's a windows game and runs in windows.   You can't "change the game to use an older graphics renderer" zomg...  We've spent five years trying to put it in the Oblivion engine (a simple task by comparison), and the OpenMW team has spent as long trying to build a new engine for MW by hand. 

Rewriting the entire game to run in DOS is not only improbable (due to the amount of effort involved), it would require literally rewriting Morrowind, from scratch, with a completely different coding system (Morrowind uses DirectX to render graphics, DOS games use their own code to directly control computer hardware).

2) None of the math (hours/days/years etc.) actually works if you pull out your calculator.  Whoops. 

3) You can't remove core features from the game (like the save manager) unless you hack the Morrowind executable, and even then I don't think it's going to be stable without having the source code from Bethesda Softworks.  Basically everything in the third paragraph - not possible, sorry. 

4) Many of the mod's features the mod describes aren't actually possible to program with the tools available for modding Morrowind - even with MWSE.  For example, the "random pictures from My Pictures folder".  Unless you were able to write a script that could transcribe .jpg and .gif files to .dds on the fly, and then constantly re-write the ESP file for the mod to put them in or something, etc. lol... not even remotely possible. 

Too bad the mod never actually existed though; it's got a lot of cool ideas for a creepy horror mod.  If you want to see what a similar idea, but actually a real total conversion, check out Obscurum for Fallout 3.

seldalore
seldalore's picture
My... that is creepy! What a

My... that is creepy! What a professional modder, in creativity and devotion!

Mehh
Mehh's picture
Yeah, I laughed at the dos

Yeah, I laughed at the dos box part too. Still a fun read, the ending is pretty lame though. But damn, if that mod was real, then jesus would I admire that guy's devotion.