24 posts / 0 new
Last post
henshu
henshu's picture
[MERGED] Performers

I just know as soon as I post this, the new release is going to come out and somehow it will conflict with this tiny mod... 

Well here's the deal, I noticed several animation files that weren't being used. One of the more interesting ones was 'lute7', because there are bards and lutes all over the place and yet they never interact. So I decided to fix that. It took a bit of work to get it to look decent, so this doesn't use the original lute animation. This does not replace any original files either. 

Here is what this little mod actually does: If you enter Balmora's South Wall Corner Club between the hours of noon and 8pm, Chirramirr will be downstairs playing the lute. The regular background music should stop, and lute music will be heard [loudest in close proximity to the musician] 

mod can be downloaded here

I have gathered up a small collection of lute and oud music that may be appropriate for this, and am submitting that for your review as well:

lute music library

I would really appreciate it if anyone interested could check this out, tell me what they think of it and what they'd like me to do with it. 

My thoughts are: different music styles depending on race/region, maybe giving each musician a small number of songs to randomly pick between so they're not always playing the same thing, maybe setting up way for you to request specific songs. 

Just trying to beef up the immersion factor a bit. If I get performers going, I can also set up individuals to participate as audience members [clapping, dancing, etc]  

Edited by: thermador on 10/12/2011 - 09:32
Darth South
Darth South's picture
Wow! This is a very good mod!

Wow! This is a very good mod! If this gets finished it will make Morroblivion even more cooler...

Darth South
Darth South's picture
Hey worked fine with me. I am

Hey worked fine with me. I am not sure if I made that Lute Library work though...

henshu
henshu's picture
Lute Library

It's just a collection of MP3s, for people to listen to and give me their oppinions on which ones are suitable for the game in what circumstances. 
Thank you Darth I'm glad you liked it =) 

Dave B
Dave B's picture
This is Great!
Thank you Henshu! This is Great!
henshu
henshu's picture
alrighty

Okay, so far all I'm hearing is that it's neat. Thank you =) 

David, do you want me to include musicians in my next AI mod? Should I try to get general approval from everyone on playlists or just put these together using my own judgement? so far I'm thinking Bach is a bit pretentious for Chirranirr, I've now given her a selection of more folksy pieces... 

Anyone who's better at sound editing: My lute music all seems to be far too quiet... any advice there? 

Clint
Clint's picture
This is beautiful

Henshu, this is freakin' amazing! Going into that bar and seeing people drinking and hearing people talk about rumors, along with the lute person jamming away really brings a higher degree of immersion to Morrowind. This is really great work!

Everything seems to work beautifully except that if you sleep or wait when the music starts, when you awake, the lute player is still playing the motions but the music stops and won't restart. You can walk outside and come back in but the music won't restart. You have to wait 24 hours, and everything returns to normal, as long the player doesn't sleep or wait in the bar.

As for the taste of music, all I've been listening to is Bach (yeah Bach!) but I'll listen to those other folkie songs you put in and hear how they're like.

If you can get people to gather around and clap or dance or wave their hands, that will bump up the realistic/immersion factor even higher!

Dave B
Dave B's picture
Oblivion Limitation
Robert, the "bug" you describe is just a limitation of Oblivion; that's how Oblivion works and Henshu can't do anything about that. All background effects work like that; walk into a tomb and there are wonderful creepy effects all around--until you open a chest, then it stops. Henshu, yes, I'd love to include musician AI! My recommendation is to bundle up the resources like you did as an extra download, then people can pick what they want. Maybe include some recommendtions, or have a couple of sets pre-bundled in the archive.
Clint
Clint's picture
@DavidAh, ok. Man, that

@David

Ah, ok.

Man, that sucks....

henshu
henshu's picture
Debugging and moving forward

Thanks Robert! This is exactly why I put this up, other people always think of ways to break things that the modder never would =p
I'll see what I can do about the waiting/sleeping issues. I thought I had put in a system for it to restart if you left the building, but I guess I was wrong. I may have to go ahead and put this stuff into a quest script instead of individual scripts on each musician, which I would have to do for a request system anyway.
I've been working on an animation for a drum player. The drummer sits on the floor with his legs crossed. I spent a lot of time today trying to figure out how to make a new furniture marker and accompanying animations to use with a floor cushion, and failed miserably on every attempt. Furniture is complicated...
Oddly enough there was no pre-existing animation for drum playing, but there is an animation for fiddle playing despite the [as far as I can see]complete lack of fiddles. I wish I had one to work with. Could set up happy little bands.
Thankfully, adding dancers will be the easiest part. There are multiple animations to choose from, none of which should require any tweaking given that dancing doesn't require props.. although I could set up people to dance drunkinly while holding mugs. That would require extra work, but it would be pretty funny...
The animations for clapping and cheering can easily be borrowed from Oblivion, sound effects to go along with them is another story of course. I haven't looked into this yet, and I'm hoping that at least the sound of clapping is isolated in it's own file so i don't have to go hunting for more sound clips.

Clint
Clint's picture
@HenshuYeah, the

@Henshu

Yeah, the sleeping/stopping music thing sucks but it's certainly not a deal breaker.

As for the drum playing, I thought I saw a drum animation for TES3, but again, that's TES3, so that might not help you.

The dancing sounds awesome. The drunk dancing sounds bad@ss! Man, I might not even leave the bars when you get this finished :)

As for making your audio files louder, I don't know if this is the proper way to do it, but you can use Audacity and amplify the whole track to the loudness you want.

Darth South
Darth South's picture
As a suggestion It would be

As a suggestion It would be very cool if you make a tip box. For ex: A chest standing and if you activate it, it takes 5 golds frm you.

henshu
henshu's picture
Neat

Robert:
Thanks, guess it's about time I got that one. 
I've got some pretty good ideas about how to make the music start playing again in the previously cited circumstances. They'll still stop first (as David says, that's unavoidable) but I should be able to get the music to start up again afterwords. I'm going to wait on it until this next release comes out and start a clean file, before I get too far into this complicated quest editing stuff. 
DarthSouth:
That would be pretty easy. I think I would have them require tips for song requests as well.. Maybe I'll set them up so when they earn a certain ammount, they get nicer clothes =p 

Clint
Clint's picture
Yeah, I was under the

Yeah, I was under the impresion that you converted the TES3 guitar animation mod and and brought it over into Morroblivion. If that's the case, there's a drummer animation mod and a couple other animation mods like fishing.

If I'm wrong, well just forget what I said ;)

henshu
henshu's picture
Funny

No I wasn't using any outside resources, just the animations that came in the morroblivion files. I don't know if any of those were already packaged in Morroblivion, since there are some fishing idles in there as well, but there's no drum animation. I'd rather not use someone elses work like that, especially if it wasn't originally intended for this mod. The actual making of the animations isn't the difficult part for me anyway. 

Clint
Clint's picture
Huh, I didn't even know

Huh, I didn't even know Morroblivion or Oblivion came with those animations? Did I miss something? :)

henshu
henshu's picture
Animations

Well, yes, apparently. In the first post on this topic I said "I noticed several animation files that weren't being used." It's still there, you can scroll up and read it. 
I don't know which ones were packaged in original Morrowind or were brought in or made later, but they're here. 
 It's not unheard of for Bathesda to include unused or unfinished content.

There are a many that are prefixed with "kris", "kr", "kva", "MRC", and "OMG", so if those mean anything to anyone in the context of mods that might tell us where they came from. Some of them are quite silly. Maybe I should make a test mod that just has all of these attached to NPCs in a room so you can see them all.. 

Darth South
Darth South's picture
If there is also a fishing

If there is also a fishing animation you can use it while doing AI for fishing villages.

henshu
henshu's picture
Fishing

There is. I believe someone else was handling AI for the fishing villages, but I could certainly set up the animation package for them to use. 

Those ones seem pretty usable as they are, some other animations in there have proved to be less so. There's a pair called anim_hugkiss_female & anim_hugkiss_male, I thought 'neat, I can add more debauchery to Desele's House of Earthly Delights' and tried to test them on a pair of npcs. The males skull swelled to twice its normal size while he held his arms out like a zombie. Watching NPCs make out was going to be creepy enough without those side effects. 
 I'm also cruelly excited about the 'scrubbing' 'scrubfloor' and 'userag' animations. Housekeepers will finally be able to do more than sweep and rake. 

Here's something curious:There's an animation in here called 'milking2', and it does appear to be an animation for someone milking a cow-like creature... are there any creatures in the morrowind world that this would be appropriate for? I cannot think of any. Maybe someone wanted to add cows.. maybe they wanted to milk sheep... 

henshu
henshu's picture
background music

Having the instrument music playing as replacement background music didn't seem like a good option to me, as I wanted it to be more dynamic with the sound clearly coming from the instrument. In the original scripting languange and OBSE, there is no way to actually turn off the background music, so following the lead of the silent dialogue mod I instead tell the game to switch the current background music to "5min-silence.mp3", which as the name suggests is just 5 minutes of silence. It was the best solution I could come up with, and for the most part it works pretty well. When I have the next version of this mod done waiting, sleeping, and leaving the room will cause the musicians to reset, which prompts restart of the mp3, and so will be a method of making the background music shut up again. I have, however, found an OBSE plug-in called sound commands that adds several commands, including getmusicvolume and setmusicvolume. Using this I could write the script to instead store the users current volume settings and set the music volume to zero, and then reset the music volume to the users previous setting when they are no longer in that cell or when the musician stops playing. The plug-in file would be required for this to function properly, and is free for use in any context including redistribution as part of a mod.

So, which do you all think is the better solution? 

Clint
Clint's picture
Fishing animation -

Fishing animation - sweet!

Scrubbing animation - awesome!

Zombie make-out animation - creepy

Milking animation - For guar? Female kwama worker? Hmmm, where does Vvardenfell get its milk? Must be imported.

As for the background music, I don't know enough to say on that. The OBSE method sounds legit though, as we already have to use it.

Darth South
Darth South's picture
I don't think milk actually

I don't think milk actually exists in Tamriel. At least there is no sign of it in the UESP.

About the kissing animation, well, we wouldn't want Morroblivion to become a nude mode. Though some romance is always nice:D 

henshu
henshu's picture
performers: part one

I've included one musician with my most recent set of AI mods. Chuna, who lives at the Lucky Lockup in Balmora, plays the lute there between 4pm and midnight. He knows four songs which he'll choose from. Doing something to inturrupt him, like leaving the building, will cause him to choose a new song when he starts again. 
I'll work on adding this to more bards next week, now that it's functioning properly.  After that, I could either work on drum players, audience animation, or adding the ability to tell them to play a different song or give them tips. Maybe add some silly dialogue where you can ask them about what they're playing and they'll tell you something about it... maybe set it up so that after they've earned enough from tips they get better clothes, or are able to hire band mates to join them. woo that would be complicated fun. 

Dave B
Dave B's picture
Available in v029
The first of Henshu's Performers is now part of the Master v029.