thegreatgamecreator
thegreatgamecreator's picture
Don't start a flame mxzero11.

Don't start a flame mxzero11.

Niflhelm
Niflhelm's picture
Hi all! I have a few

Hi all! I have a few questions ...
1) whether it is necessary to make the grid more sparse(scattered)?
2) 
when will be made retopology, how best to put the character in the position?
3) 
normal maps and textures I impose on the character before installing it into the pose?

I have a feeling that the net too frecuent .....
or must first be put in the position of the character in zbrush, and then do retopology?

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
OK, well hopefully we can rig

OK, well hopefully we can rig it to a skeleton and we can move it around for a few poses. In f ct there are 8 different instances of the statue, so having a different position for each one will add that extra edge to seeing each one in the game.

Going forward I'd like everyone doing statues to model around skeletons for this reason.

Now the other thing is that these statues are huge. Yes that is an NPC smaller than his head...no not that kind, the one on his noggin. So make sure you use 4096 texture.

Also because this is the first statue, we have the chance to make sure that we get a visual consistency with the textures.

So I'd really like 3d artist to give advice here. How do we use the same technique to bake all the textures for the daedric princes? Especially as they feature in the same rooms together sometimes. Literally carved from the same stone.

Below is the skyrim mehrunes, which is about the same size as Molag Bal. We want this quality at least :)

Niflhelm
Niflhelm's picture
HappyChappy, thanks,  I also

HappyChappy, thanks,  I also thought that the rig will need to do in order to be able to change the position of the character. Textures are not a problem, I think we can draw a few textures, and then just apply them on textural sweep statues ... so you are rightly said - the material is the same. also would like to learn more polygons limit, which would be optimal for the game engine. I think the current grid(mesh) would do well to halve...

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
I would be wary of reposing

I would be wary of reposing rock/metal statues after baking, as it tends to create warped UVs, but u can help this by relaxing the vertices in the joints.

The mehrunes model was sculpted to a simple level, and all the rock detail was overlayed in photoshop.
we can reuse that rock overlay for each one.
however I would suggest using a variety of rock textures/colours depending on what area the rock is cut in.

Niflhelm
Niflhelm's picture
teeth and the belt will do a

teeth and the belt will do a separate entity. I will try to insert the bone, if the grid is normal, then bake texture...15k tris

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
Ideally we need all the

Ideally we need all the pieces in one model (teeth, body, etc) and we need slightly less polygons, more like 10k. Do what u can.
remember we can overlay rock textures later. or, is this made of metal?

Niflhelm
Niflhelm's picture
Ok, i reduce the number of

Ok, i reduce the number of polygons. Yes, it's will be stone material. But the belt is part of the clothes, and so wanted to make it a separate object...though ... now make a sketch in zbrash and see how it will look

Niflhelm
Niflhelm's picture
That there was no dispute

That there was no dispute that should be between the legs, we decided to make a belt. Denevir said great idea that should look like a belt.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Lovin it. If reducing poly

Lovin it. If reducing poly count is too much effort 15k will be ok.

I would be wary of reposing rock/metal statues after baking, as it tends to create warped UVs, but u can help this by relaxing the vertices in the joints.

The mehrunes model was sculpted to a simple level, and all the rock detail was overlayed in photoshop.
we can reuse that rock overlay for each one.
however I would suggest using a variety of rock textures/colours depending on what area the rock is cut in.

So I'm not sure what the solution is, but the textures in Skyrim are baked and this makes the quality of statues like ten times better than some tiled textures.

Ravanna can you make sure we are all on the same page so that Nifhlem knows the best approach? My understanding that for all intensive purposes these statues should be made exactly the same way as any creature.

Also for a skeleton to rig to we could use the spriggan? However as any skeleton from any source (not just skyrim) can be used becuase this is just for 3d program manipulation, not for actual in game. However this is just a suggestion because it seems to be good enough?

Ashking Wulfharth
Ashking Wulfharth's picture
Donor
If the statue is still in

If the statue is still in zbrush, you can just use transpose to get it into a pose, then you only need to run it through max to export as nif. You can skip the whole skinning process that way.

Niflhelm
Niflhelm's picture
belt buckle for Molag Bal

belt buckle for Molag Bal. texture of stone laid for example. I think we need to add texture moss and some plants on stone texture...stone may need a shade of red ... as in Morrowind Daedric ruins

AttachmentSize
Image icon 1pfin.jpg228.64 KB
misterkazaam
misterkazaam's picture
I know that there was quite a

I know that there was quite a bit of discussion over whether or not Molag Bal should have a loin cloth or not, is it too late to suggest using that belt buckle but with a tongue sticking out? Kind of like the "forbidden tickle" on the daedric mask concepts?

Scruples
Scruples's picture
Contributor
Donor
Maybe a really suggestive

Maybe a really suggestive thong like Oderus Urungus's "Cuttlefish of Cthulu"?

misterkazaam
misterkazaam's picture
I really like the belt buckle

I really like the belt buckle that Niflhelm has already made, I was just making a suggestion to possibly bring together a couple of ideas. (I'd rather not associate GWAR with this game because a I don't like GWAR but I guess that's just my opinion)

Niflhelm
Niflhelm's picture
(No subject)

AttachmentSize
Image icon 1fin.jpg841.21 KB
tommythegun
tommythegun's picture
Contributor
looking super good!

looking super good!

Mika999
Mika999's picture
Sweet!

Sweet!

thisonefan
thisonefan's picture
Hey there random guy that

Hey there random guy that thinks this statue is frigin sweet here, have you thougth of a pose yet? if you use the pose from oblivion statue but with the spade of his tail placed in front of the torso while he has his tongue hanging out of his mouth and curling up at the tip, it all gives of a very rapey feel. sorry just an idea, good luck.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Remember this model? Yeah it

Remember this model? Yeah it never got handed in, big surprise...not. Shame back to the drawing board.

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
HappyChappy wrote:

HappyChappy wrote:

Remember this model? Yeah it never got handed in, big surprise...not. Shame back to the drawing board.

Wow... why do people do that?

Niflhelm
Niflhelm's picture
Hi all, returned after the

Hi all, returned after the holiday, did not have enough time to finish the model, I will try to finish it soon)

Niflhelm
Niflhelm's picture
There was a slight problem

There was a slight problem when I bake a normal map (3d max or xnormal), visible seams of low-poly models (pictured), I have to paint them manually? Map of AO no seams

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
nilf, make sure your low poly

nilf, make sure your low poly is all one smoothing group.
in 3dsmax apply 2 normal modifers, and make sure in xnormal u dont have harden normals on "smooth normals" in the low res tab.

Niflhelm
Niflhelm's picture
o! Now all right! thank you!

o! Now all right! thank you!

primem0ver
primem0ver's picture
I am working on a mod for

I am working on a mod for Skyrim and I was wondering if I could use this model for a statue.

FittedMushroom
FittedMushroom's picture
Looks amazing, really liking

Looks amazing, really liking the new head, looks similar to both the old and the new interpretations.

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
prime, he only sent the

prime, he only sent the sculpt, which was fucked, and no low poly, so we're redoing it, after all that drama, and it wont be ready for ages.

Pages