Pages

86 posts / 0 new
Last post
Smerk
Smerk's picture
Even I refrain from saying

Even I refrain from saying "we" sometimes because the word "we" seams to be used to much these days. :P

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
Red mountain sculpt is done

Red mountain sculpt is done and baked down to 14 meshes, ranging from 512 to 2048.

Heres a real time render.

I'll upload more pics tomorrow (if i remember)

Bob the hobo
Bob the hobo's picture
Its *sniff* BEAUTIFUL! 

Its *sniff* BEAUTIFUL! 

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
Single most important and

Single most important and best piece of work on this entire site.

Have my babies, Rav. 

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
Ravanna makes these models to

Ravanna makes these models to pull in the girls...

bluesausage
bluesausage's picture
This I think, alone, will be
This I think, alone, will be the single most important piece on the visual side of skywind. Don't get me wrong, the landscaping, models, and textures ARE important. But this will be the defining landmark I feel. If I saw nothing else but this valcano, it would be enough for me to play this mod. Its beyond words how good this looks. Fantastic work!
MorrowindShorts
MorrowindShorts's picture
It's so....HELLISH!   

It's so....HELLISH! 

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
Do you mind if I kill myself

Do you mind if I kill myself over the shear awesome-ness? ;) So how's Dagoth Ur (ruin) going to look?

aretea
aretea's picture
If that's real time render...

If that's real time render... just wow. Nice job man.

Rebelzize
Rebelzize's picture
Contributor
Donor
it looks better then I

it looks better then I imagined :') 

Yours Truly
Yours Truly's picture
I must pee on the bed for

I must pee on the bed for comfort now. Amazing work!

alysander
alysander's picture
Amazing texture, but about it

Amazing texture, but about it's shape i always thought more about flat, shield_volcano than "mountain" one.
If it have foyadas unlikely it can be stratovolcano.

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
Alysander; there are many

Alysander; there are many instances in the Elder Scrolls universe where Red Mountain is noted for being the tallest, or second tallest mountain in all of Tamriel. Considering how massive the Throat of the World was, it is safe to say that Red Mountain will be equally, if not more imposing.

mspeed101
mspeed101's picture
.... This is beautiful!

.... This is beautiful!

alysander
alysander's picture
@Tajnarasha: I am speaking

@Tajnarasha: I am speaking not about it's height, but about it's slope compared to slope of island itself. If it will be mountain-like stratovolcano i think it will be some complications:

1) Geology: Where will begin foyadas (they cannot be like mountain river, they like lowland river)?
2) Work/Map design: I am not sure, but is it possible to climb it over without serpantin or spiral road (that would be completely different to MW)?
3) Conservatism: It will not look like MW Red Mountain.
4) IMHO: I think Red Mountain of third era should be smaller than Red Mountain of Dragonborn due to new eruption.

Bob the hobo
Bob the hobo's picture
Sooo when is this  going to

Sooo when is this  going to added to the game?

Twisted Logic
Twisted Logic's picture
nnt . St. Helens was smaller

Mount St. Helens was smaller after its eruption. And if Red Mountain were the slope/shape of a shield volcano, it would take up the majority of the island in order to achieve the desired height.

Also: The Red Mountain has been stated to be the tallest mountain in Tamriel since at least Morrowind and Skyrim has set a precedent as to how high that should be.

Also: can you please explain the difference between "conservatism" and lore-accuracy? I don't mean to sound hostile (and apologize if I sound so), but I am genuinely curious.

Tajnarasha
Tajnarasha's picture
I cannot speak about

I cannot speak about specifics of the model itself since I am not the brilliant mind who poured hours of work into it, but I do know for a fact that no volcano gets bigger after an eruption event. It's quite the opposite - a large mass (we're talking thousands of tons of rock) of the mountain is blown up in the air, and fall as ash an debris. Look at Mt. Saint Helens before and after it exploded for example - a violent eruption like the Red Year will always result in the volcano losing some of it's height, not the opposite. 

Regarding the point about conservatism, refer to my point regarding the height of the mountain. Red Mountain in Morrowind was neither an imposing, atmospheric or accurate depiction of the volcano. This is a drastic improvement over the original, and Ravanna's best work to date. 

Lastly this has been in the works, as you can see from the OP of the thread, for quite some time. Modeling takes a huge amount of time and is incredibly difficult to get right. If you had any issues with how the mountain was going to be interpreted you should have stated your opinion before the model was already baking. 

Ashking Wulfharth
Ashking Wulfharth's picture
Donor
I think it looks amazing and

I think it looks amazing and epic and end game worthy. There is nothing that could or should be changed on this model.

@alysander- When a model is done, it is done. Deal with it or leave. It is insulting and infuriating to see you repeatedly assert that a 3D artists change a model after it is complete. Say nice job or nothing. If you can't tell whether a model is complete, then side with caution and don't post.

alysander
alysander's picture
Would not want to offend,

Would not want to offend, insult or infuriate anyone, i just express an opinion and seeking response ideas.
Of course I understand that modeling is long/hard work. But i cannot understand that reaction.
I only hope potential complications will be organically solved through height edit of landscape and/or scaling.

@Twisted Logic:
> it would take up the majority of the island
I think it's related island and volcano.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauritius
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piton_de_la_Fournaise

> difference ... "conservatism" and lore-accuracy
= I am not sure about wording, because sentence was more about game, than lore itself.

grumpycat
grumpycat's picture
@alysander you're about a

@alysander you're about a year late to the party. We have planned, researched and discussed this stuff at length for a while. Of course its not original MW red mountain, can you tell?

*is it just me or did this seem obvious*

MorrowindShorts
MorrowindShorts's picture
In my opinion this is a

In my opinion this is a perfect Red Mountain. The Dunmer describe Red Mountain being "The Gate to Hell". Imagine this surrounded by the Ghostfence, crawling with ash creatures, and littered with war torn Dwemer ruins. I say awesome work, and this fits the description of the Red Mountain Region.

DangerBear99
DangerBear99's picture
Morrowind shorts.... your

Morrowind shorts.... your videos are awesome!!

Bob the hobo
Bob the hobo's picture
are they? ill check them out!

are they? ill check them out!

Bob the hobo
Bob the hobo's picture
 they are awesome!, totally

they are awesome!, totally subscribing 

Dragomir
Dragomir's picture
Contributor
Lol, for some reason my

Lol, for some reason my comment got deleted? I just wanted to add that Red Mountain is beyond nature, since not many volcanoes on Earth were formed by a heart of a god falling from the skies :P

This Red Mountain is looking amazing and making it a shield volcano would take away most of it's beauty. Nothing should be changed, and there are no flowing foyadas in Morrowind anyway, only ones that already cooled down after eruptions in the past.

LASentry
LASentry's picture
Donor
Yeah exactly - can't wait to

Yeah exactly - can't wait to see it in game, I bet it'll look phenomenal!

smartinius
smartinius's picture
Contributor
Donor
hey,

hey,

i dont know how u have accomplished that smoke but very nice. the karma thing dont work for me. but u get one here from me :)

Silvermodder
Silvermodder's picture
Well do you know why Dagath

Well do you know why Dagath Ur never left Red Mountain? Because he liked so much Ravanna's work that he wanted to live there.

Jokes aside, i think its a marvelous thing i mean it really adds an "epic scenery" before the final battle, and who in the hell won't want to see this in game? 

Jobe wan kenobi
Jobe wan kenobi's picture
Yeah I don't understand why

Yeah I don't understand why some people are complaining. Red Mountain needed to look epic and imposing, and that's exactly what Ravanna has done. Great job rav!

nmrahde
nmrahde's picture
I understand where the people

I understand where the people stating the mountain looks off from volcanos are coming from, but there's a lot of evidence in the real world pointing to this being a fairly realistic interpretation.

A photo of the volcano Mount
Kazbek in Georgia (the country):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Georgianroad.jpg

Looks pretty close to the view HappyChappy posted from Caldera I'd say. If the postcard picture was from the village you see in the background it'd look a lot closer (except for the smaller mountain in front of it).

Also if you look up how central peaks look in impact craters (Tycho on the moon or Mount Sharp that Curiosity is currently rovering towards/around), it also looks pretty spot on.

And that last render on 3/5 looks great. Can't wait to see how the Dwemer citadels look on/in that!

teslightreturn
teslightreturn's picture
Holy damn.....

Holy damn.....

The Throat of the World aint got SHIT on our Red Mountain  Damn well done team

TheDjango
TheDjango's picture
Red mountain looks fantastic

Red mountain looks fantastic :D

Just one thing though- the plume seems to move a little fast, which might be distracting in-game.

Perhaps you guys could slow it down to a crawl? it might look even more menacing that way ;)

Ravanna
Ravanna's picture
Contributor
Donor
it will be in game, dont

it will be in game, dont worry your head about it ^_^

TheDjango
TheDjango's picture
Awesome :3 I cant wait to see

Awesome :3 I cant wait to see it in-game!
It would be nothing short of remarkable if what somechump said was possible; to look up at red mountain at the end of the game, at the swirling cloud of death covering the entire island, and then remember how calm and dormant it looked when you got of the boat.. Incredible :D

Pages