Last post
ponyrider0
ponyrider0's picture
Contributor
[Tutorial] Converting Tamriel Rebuilt v20.02 for Morroblivion v065

[insert image of TR]

Converting Tamriel Rebuilt v20.02 for Morroblivion v065

Description:

This tutorial will take you step-by-step through the process of using ModExporter to to generate a version of Tamriel Rebuilt that is compatible with Morroblivion v065.  ModExporter is a modified version of OpenMW-CS which allows users to load Morrowind ESP-based mods and then export them into a format that is compatible with Morroblivion. It will search for modded mesh/texture asset files and export them to a Morroblivion compatible format as well.  Any original Morrowind assets from the retail game will not be exported to Morroblivion.  Instead, most of these dependencies will be redirected to an alternative Oblivion or Morroblivion-made asset.

ModExporter does not yet do a 100% perfect conversion of Tamriel Rebuilt. However, many simple fetch quests will work out-of-the-box. More complex quests will need custom script modifications to work in Morroblivion.

Requirements:

Installation and Preparation

Note: This step should take about 10-20 minutes.

1. Install Morrowind GOTY, Tamriel Data and Tamriel Rebuilt.  TIP: don't forget to register the BSAs by adding the lines "Archive 2=PT_Data.bsa" and "Archive 3=TR_Data.bsa" to the [Archives] section of the Morrowind.ini file.

2. Install OpenMW 0.45 and import the Morrowind Settings so that OpenMW can use the Tamriel Rebuilt mod.  TIP:  You MUST use version 0.45 instead of a later version.  Install OpenMW to "C:\OpenMW 0.45" instead of the default "Program Files" folder.  You can then use this version separately from any other version of OpenMW.  If the Import Morrowind Settings wizard does not run, then you should click the "Run Installation Wizard" button on the Settings tab of the OpenMW Launcher.  Select your master file, which is the Morrowind.esm found in the "Morrowind\Data Files\" folder.

3. Install Oblivion + Morroblivion v065.  TIP: Oblivion should be installed outside of the "Program Files" folder.  If you are using the Steam version of Oblivion, then you may have to move the entire Steam installation outside of "Program Files".  Make sure you install OBSE properly since it is not a regular Oblivion mod.  If you have the Steam version of Oblivion, then you must launch from the Steam Client's "Play" button.

4. Install GIMP files.  Install to "C:\GIMP28" instead of the default "Program Files" folder.  Install the GIMP plugin EXE files to "C:\GIMP28\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins"; this includes "normalmap.exe" and "dds.exe".  The Normalmap plugin also contains 3 DLLs: "glew32.dll", "libgdkglext-win32-1.0-0.dll", and "libgtkglext-win32-1.0-0.dll".  All 3 DLLs should be moved to the "C:\GIMP28\bin" folder.  Make sure you can start GIMP and open a DDS file.

5. Install Blender/PyFFi files.  FIRST: Install Python 2.6.6 (32-bit) before anything else.  Let it install in "C:\Python26".  Then, install Blender 2.49b into "C:\Blender249b".  TIP: Make sure you select "Use the installation directory (ie location chosen to install blender.exe)" when asked where you wish to install Blender's user data files.  If you chose something else, then you will have to uninstall Blender and start over.  Install PyFFi 2.1.11, the installer will automatically detect Python 2.6 and Blender folders. The installation folder for the PyFFi files is not important but you could install it into "C:\PyFFI2111" just to be consistent with previous steps.  Finally, install the Blender NIF Scripts, again, the install will automatically detect the blender folder.

6. Install ModExporter 2020-June-29.  Extract the contents of the ModExporter 7zip archive into the OpenMW root folder.

7. Configure Installation and Destination folders.  Run the "start modexporter.bat" file.  The first time it is run, you will see the message "Creating "settings.bat" file...".  When you see the message "Press any key to continue . . .", close the window by pressing the "X" in the upper right corner.  Now find the "settings.bat" file, and right-click and select Edit.  Modify PYTHONEXE line to point to where you installed Python 2.6.6 ("C:\Python26\python.exe").  Modify GIMPEXE line to where you installed GIMP 2.8.22 ("C:\GIMP28\bin\gimp-console-2.8.exe").  Modify the BLENDEREXE line to where you installed Blender 2.49b ("C:\Blender249b\blender.exe").  If you have at least 10 GB of disk space on your C: drive, then you can leave the MODEXPORTER_OUTPUTROOT line alone and it will place the Resources generated by ModExporter in "C:\Oblivion.output".  If you would like to use another hard drive, then you can change the drive letter from "C:" to something else like "D:".  The "Oblivion.output" will be automatically added on and is hardcoded into the scripts.  You can not change it.

Now open the Morroblivion.ini file in the "C:\OpenMW 0.45" folder.  Change the Morrowind line to point to your installation folder for Morrowind.  Make sure you put the "\" at the end of the folder name.  The Oblivion line is actually the destination folder for output files and not the actual game folder.  This needs to exactly be the drive letter you chose in the settings.bat file plus the string "\Oblivion.output\", example: "C:\Oblivion.output\" or "D:\Oblivion.output\".  If you try to name it something else then you will break the Mesh processing stage.

Now create the destination folder that you specified in the above step: "C:\Oblivion.output\".  Within this folder, create another folder named "Data".  If these folders already exist, then make sure they are completely empty.

You are now ready to generate the game files to play Tamriel Rebuilt in Morroblivion v065.

Building the ESPs (10-20 minutes):

Note: Approximately 10-20 minutes.

0. Make sure all other programs such as games, web-browsers, etc. are all closed.  ModExporter requires a LOT of resources and will use all available CPU cores. 

1. Run the "start modexporter.bat" file.  It will display the folder paths to wherever you configured the settings.bat file in the step above.  Now press any key and it will start the ModExporter executable to generate the Morroblivion-compatible ESP files.

2. When the OpenMW-CS window appears, select "Edit A Content File".  Then select Morrowind.esm from the drop down menu.  Put a checkmark next to the Tamriel_Data.esm file.  Click Open.  Once the "Tamriel_Data.omwaddon" window appears, select File->Export ESM from the menu bar.  Navigate to the "C:\Oblivion.output\Data\" folder or wherever you specified the output destination.  The saved filename should be "Tamriel_Data.esp".  Click Save.  Wait for the export process to complete.  You should see the message "[Tamriel Data] EXPORT COMPLETED!" in the console window.  Do NOT close any windows yet.

3. Select File->Open from the menu bar.  Select "Morrowind.esm" from the drop-down and then put a checkmark next to TR_Mainland.esm.  Click Open.  Wait for the "TR_Mainland.omwaddon" window to load.  TIP: Close the "Tamriel_Data.omwaddon" window while you are waiting for the "TR_Mainland.omwaddon" to load, in order to free up memory and avoid confusion.  Do NOT close the console window, or you will abort the entire ModExporter process.)  When the "TR_Mainland.omwaddon" window appears, select "File->Export ESM from its menu bar.  Navigate to "C:\Oblivion.output\Data" and click Save.  Wait for the export process to complete.  You should see the message "[TR_Mainland] EXPORT COMPLETED!".  Do not close any windows yet.

4. Select File->Open from the menu bar.  Select "Morrowind.esm" from the drop-down, and put a checkmark next to "TR_Preview.esp".  Wait for the "TR_Preview.omwaddon" window to load.  Close the "TR_Mainland.omwaddon" window while you are waiting.  When the "TR_Preview.omwaddon" window appears, select Export-ESM from the menu bar.  Navigate to "C:\Oblivion.output\Data" and click Save.  Wait for the message "[TR_Preview] EXPORT COMPLETED!".  Then close the "TR_Preview.omwaddon" window.

Packaging and Installing Mod:

1. Select the 3 ESPs: "Tamriel_Data.esp", "TR_Mainland.esp" and "TR_Preview.esp" and package them into a single 7zip file and name it Tamriel_Rebuilt_ESP.7z.  Install it using a mod manager into Oblivion.

2. Select the "Textures" and "Meshes" folders and package them into a single 7zip file and name it "Tamriel_Rebuilt_Resources.7z".  Install it using a mod manager into Oblivion.

3. Install the Mods-for-ModExporter archive using a mod manager into Oblivion.

4. Using a mod manager, move the "Morrowind_Compatibility_Layer.esp" above all the Tamriel Rebuilt generated ESPs.  Then move "Tamriel_Data.esp" directly below that.  Then move "TR_Mainland.esp" directly below "Tamriel_Data.esp".  Then move "TR_Preview.esp" directly below "TR_Mainland.esp".  Now move TR2002_Facelift.esp below the previous files.  TR_MapMarkers_And_Transport.esp can actually go anywhere, but you might as well move it below Facelift for easier organization.

5. Generate Distant Lands and Distant Objects using TES4LL and TES4LODGen.

6. Install a Tamriel Rebuilt worldmap mod.  Move the worldmap mod to the bottom of the load order.

You are now done.  Go ahead and launch Morroblivion to enjoy the extended worldspace of Tamriel Rebuilt!  More mods to enable missing quests and dialogs will be coming in the future.

Distant LOD

Edited by: DaggerfallTeam on 01/08/2022 - 12:16 Reason: Bold Links - Changed Header Size
ponyrider0
ponyrider0's picture
Contributor
Frequently Asked Questions:

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. Do I need to convert the Tamriel Rebuilt v20.02 Hotfix?

No.  The hotfix currently does not make any functional changes for the final modexporter output.  In the future, I will try to develop some of my own hotfixes specifically for the Morrobilvion-based conversion.

2. What about the TR_Factions and TR_Travels ESP files?

They are currently not supported.  The "TR_MapMarkers_And_Transport.esp" file from Mods-for-Modexporter will provide fast-travel markers that are accessible from the start of the game.

3. How do I improve the framerate in OldEbonheart?

Try reducing the Actor, Item, and Object slider settings in the Video Options menu.  If you use Oblivion Reloaded, these settings will automatically be changed by that mod's framerate manager, so you just need to set a desired target framerate.

Meljuk
Meljuk's picture
Was the ModExporter made

Was the ModExporter made specifically for Tamriel Rebuilt, or can I convert other mods too?

Edit: There are still many missing meshes, even though I did everything according to your tutorial and not all doors are linked to their respective Interiors. Some are, but not all of them.

ponyrider0
ponyrider0's picture
Contributor
Meljuk wrote:

Meljuk wrote:

Was the ModExporter made specifically for Tamriel Rebuilt, or can I convert other mods too?

Edit: There are still many missing meshes, even though I did everything according to your tutorial and not all doors are linked to their respective Interiors. Some are, but not all of them.

ModExporter was made specifically with the goal of creating Tamriel Rebuilt for Morroblivion, but it will work for other mods too.  Please read the documentation to use it for other mods.

Regarding missing meshes, some meshes are not correctly converted yet due to NIF file specific complexity or unsupported block types.  Other missing meshes still refer to original Morrowind assets which are not yet 100% redirected to Morroblivion assets.  In older areas of Tamriel Rebuilt such as Firewatch, this should be about 5-10%.  However, in the preview areas of Tamriel Rebuilt such as near Baan Malur, this rate is much higher, especially when 4-5 meshes are trees or boulders which are repeated several thousand times to create a forest or cliff face.

However, another reason for you to have missing meshes is because you may have incorrectly configured modexporter.  If the mesh conversion stage took less than 30 minutes to complete, then this is almost 100% likely to be due to incorrectly installed software.  Please post a few screenshots of the exterior areas of Firewatch and I will let you know if your setup is broken.

Regarding doors, I disabled most processing of doors and other non-static objects in TR_Preview due to complaints of instability.  You can use "#doors" to try to enable door processing in TR_Preview.  Or you could copy all TR_Mainland options to TR_Preview.  This may increase crashes.  In TR_Mainland, there are 1-5% of doors that are unlinked or linked to the wrong location due to a bug which I have not yet tracked down.  If you are finding areas of TR_Mainland where more than this percentage of doors is unlinked then please post the exact door referenceID and baseobjectID and I will try to figure out what is wrong.  Thanks.

I am still in the process of writing and updating several more guides and tutorials for using and configuring ModExporter to customize it for specific mods.  You can check for updates and read through the older,  outdated guides here: https://www.patreon.com/ponyrider0?filters[tag]=modexporter

Meljuk
Meljuk's picture
Here are some missing Mesh

Here are some missing Mesh Screenshots, I specifically picked Images with missing Meshes, but some areas don't have any meshes missing. How do know if my current area is from Mainland or Preview?

ponyrider0
ponyrider0's picture
Contributor
Meljuk wrote:

Meljuk wrote:

Here are some missing Mesh Screenshots, I specifically picked Images with missing Meshes, but some areas don't have any meshes missing.

Thanks, those screenshots are in the exact spots I needed to see.  The city gates are converting successfully, but the missing mesh at the center of town in Firewatch should be a well.  It looks like one of your mesh processing pathways is working but the other is not.  I suspect it is the blender-python pathway that is broken.  The NIFConverter pathway is the first-line converter.  When it fails, the Blender-Pathway should take over.

The missing meshes behind the gates are known issues.  They are construction bars from Vanilla Morrowind, but there is no direct equivalent in Oblivion or Morroblivion.  I have an older TR_Fixes mod which replaces them with a kind of similar mesh, but I have not updated that mod to work with v20.02 yet.

Open Blender and verify that you can import and export a file of type NetImmerse/Gamebryo (.nif).  Make sure you are using the version of blender that was supplied in the tutorial link.  If you have other versions of blender or python installed, then they may be interfering with environment settings and default paths.  Post your "modexporter_blender_error.log" which will be generated in the OpenMW/ModExporter root folder.

Quote:

How do know if my current area is from Mainland or Preview?

The easiest way is to follow the development news at Tamriel Rebuilt website.  Here is a working map that was up to date as of several months ago:

Meljuk
Meljuk's picture
Yes, I can Import and Export

Yes, I can Import and Export .nifs in Blender, and I'm using 2.49b. The error log repeats the line "No handlers could be found for logger "pyffi.toaster"" over and over again with nothing else in it.

ponyrider0
ponyrider0's picture
Contributor
Meljuk wrote:

Meljuk wrote:

Yes, I can Import and Export .nifs in Blender, and I'm using 2.49b. The error log repeats the line "No handlers could be found for logger "pyffi.toaster"" over and over again with nothing else in it.

Your blender-python pathway setup is definitely broken.  I don't know if blender is launching successfully or if the built-in python interpreter is not initializing correctly or if the conversion script is failing or all of the above.  Unfortunately, I don't have an easy way to help you debug the issue at the moment.  The best advice I can give you is to delete the "Nif_conv.exe" to force everything to fallback to the blender-pathway.  Then open the "modexporter_blender_main.py" and go to line 49:

CPU_COUNT = multiprocessing.cpu_count()

change this line to:

CPU_COUNT = 1

This will force single-thread processing.  Then try to watch the console messages in real-time during the mesh processing stage to see if you can figure out what error is being output by blender.  EDIT: If you could post a video of that output or several screenshots, that might be helpful.

dasoffertorium
dasoffertorium's picture
Hi,

Hi,

i have missing mashes too. Sorry i cant upload Pictures at this time.

Here are my Error Log:

https://pastebin.com/uYPpdrce

can anybody send me the missing mashes?

And i cant generate the LOD correctly. I dont have the ground in Mainland and Preview. Tes4all and TesLodgen runs without error. Have i miss something? I use the applications and Versions from your Tutorial.

Thanks for your work.

Bye

ponyrider0
ponyrider0's picture
Contributor
dasoffertorium wrote:

dasoffertorium wrote:

Hi,

i have missing mashes too. Sorry i cant upload Pictures at this time.

Here are my Error Log:

https://pastebin.com/uYPpdrce

can anybody send me the missing mashes?

And i cant generate the LOD correctly. I dont have the ground in Mainland and Preview. Tes4all and TesLodgen runs without error. Have i miss something? I use the applications and Versions from your Tutorial.

Thanks for your work.

Bye

Hello, if your modexporter_blender_error.log is only 9 lines long, then your Blender-Python pathway is aborting too early.  Are you using a CPU with 8 logical cores (4 core/8 threads)?  This would suggest that each thread is immediately aborting after processing the first file in their job queue.  One thread tried to perform a post-processing step but failed.  Your NIF_Conv.exe stage is probably completely failing.  Check the C:\OpenMW 0.45\Morroblivion.ini file and make sure that it is pointing to the proper Morrowind folder with a "\" at the end of the line and a correctly set Oblivion.output destination folder.  Sorry, but no one can give you the converted meshes since we do not have permission to distribute the converted Tamriel Rebuilt / Tamriel Data texture/mesh art assets produced by modexporter.

I do not know what you mean by "I dont have the ground in Mainland and Preview."  Do you mean that all ground meshes are completely missing and you are in the water?  Or do you mean that you are standing on dry land correctly and it is just the Distant Lands / distant terrain that is missing?  Try the nobsa version of the Tamriel Rebuilt DistantLOD mod: https://morroblivion.com/forums/morroblivion-mod-releases/relwip-tamriel-rebuilt-distantlod

If you are running the latest TES4Edit renamed to TES4LODGen, and it is still aborting with an error, then your load-order is probably broken and needs to be sorted with a mod-manager. 

Good luck.

AllisterHenderson
AllisterHenderson's picture
I have a theoretical question

I have a theoretical question out of curiosity.....

If a user was previously successful in porting an earlier version of Tamriel Rebuilt (TR) using the original Conversion Tutorial guide.......

https://morroblivion.com/forums/morroblivion-development/tutorial-conver...

but used an earlier version of ModExporter, Mods-for-ModExporter, Tamriel Rebuilt, Tamriel Data and OpenMW.....

And the ported TR ESM + ESP + Textures + Meshes etc was running successfully in Morroblivion v064, would these ported TR ESM + ESP +files etc also be compatible with Morroblivion v065. If not, how difficult would if be to develop an additional v064-to-v065 exporter. I don't know if it is even possible, but if it was then such an exporter could be used to port other mods that is compatible with v064 but not v065, and then in the future a similar exporter for v066.....just an idea :)

qwertyasdfgh
qwertyasdfgh's picture
> I don't know if it is even

> I don't know if it is even possible, but if it was then such an exporter could be used to port other mods that is compatible with v064 but not v065, and then in the future a similar exporter for v066.....just an idea :)

I can't speak about TR conversion, but regular mods don't need to be "ported" between different Morroblivion versions. Usually, the most you need to do to make a mod compatible with new version of the master is carry over any needed changes in TES4Edit.

Kniyght
Kniyght's picture
I've run into an issue at the

I've run into an issue at the texture conversion step. The mod exporter console window reads : 
GIMP-Warning: The batch interpreter 'python-fu-eval' is not available. Batch mode disabled.

However I can see the named file in Gimp\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins. What have I done wrong?

ponyrider0
ponyrider0's picture
Contributor
AllisterHenderson wrote:I

AllisterHenderson wrote:

I have a theoretical question out of curiosity..... If a user was previously successful in porting an earlier version of Tamriel Rebuilt (TR) using the original Conversion Tutorial guide....... https://morroblivion.com/forums/morroblivion-development/tut... but used an earlier version of ModExporter, Mods-for-ModExporter, Tamriel Rebuilt, Tamriel Data and OpenMW..... And the ported TR ESM + ESP + Textures + Meshes etc was running successfully in Morroblivion v064, would these ported TR ESM + ESP +files etc also be compatible with Morroblivion v065. If not, how difficult would if be to develop an additional v064-to-v065 exporter. I don't know if it is even possible, but if it was then such an exporter could be used to port other mods that is compatible with v064 but not v065, and then in the future a similar exporter for v066.....just an idea :)

Sorry, I don't fully understand your question but qwertyasdfgh's response is correct.

ponyrider0
ponyrider0's picture
Contributor
Kniyght wrote:

Kniyght wrote:

I've run into an issue at the texture conversion step. The mod exporter console window reads : 
GIMP-Warning: The batch interpreter 'python-fu-eval' is not available. Batch mode disabled.

However I can see the named file in Gimp\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins. What have I done wrong?

Please confirm that you are installing on a windows OS and using the GIMP 2.8.22 installer that is linked in my tutorial.

The only times I encountered the above error message was when I installed on a non-windows OS and when I installed a development build on windows.  I don't know what "named file" you found inside "Gimp\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins".  At least for GIMP 2.8.22, there is a file named "python-eval.py", but I do not see any plugin that would implement the "python-fu-eval" batch interpreter functions. 

If you are using the Gimp 2.8.22 installer which I linked in the tutorial, then my assumption is the python-fu-eval batch interpreter functionality is built into the gimp executable and requires the "Gimp\Python\python.exe" that is installed by the GIMP 2.8.22 installer that is linked in my tutorial.

Kniyght
Kniyght's picture
I'm using the GIMP 2.8.22

I'm using the GIMP 2.8.22 installer from your tutorial on windows 7 and you're right, silly me I had just quickly searched through the Gimp folder after seeing the error, saw "python-eval" and without paying enough attention, assumed that was what the console was referring to.

"Gimp\Python\python.exe" is right where it should be

ponyrider0
ponyrider0's picture
Contributor
It's possible that GIMP's

It's possible that GIMP's built-in python interpreter is being blocked by another installation of python.  Make sure you have full permissions to the entire GIMP folder tree.  Look in your system environment variables and make sure there are no variables setting default python exe or python lib folders.  Make sure python27.dll is not in your windows\system folder.

Kniyght
Kniyght's picture
Checked everything, no

Checked everything, no python27.dll and btw apart from Oblivion, Morroblivion and Blendr, everything else I've downloaded from your list is being installed for the first time so I'm about 95% sure that it can't be issues with previous installations of anything.

If it helps any this is what comes up on the console:

GIMP-Error: Unable to run plug-in "colorxhtml.py"
(C:\GIMP28\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\colorxhtml.py)

Failed to execute child process (no such file or directory)

"(C:\GIMP28\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\colorxhtml.py)" is there, however when I try to open it, it instantly closes with this:

File "C:\GIMP28\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\colorxhtml.py", line 24, in (module)

import gimp

ImportError: No module named gimp

ponyrider0
ponyrider0's picture
Contributor
Maybe it is an issue with an

Maybe it is an issue with an incompletely configured new installation then.  The "Failed to execute child process" message immediately before "python-fu-eval is not available" is perhaps related to GIMP failing to spawn the GIMP\Python\python.exe in a child process.  First, please verify that you can launch the GIMP windows app.  Then verify the interactive python interpreter is running by opening the python console: from the main menu: Filters -> Python-Fu -> Console.  You should see a window appear with the message:

GIMP 2.8.22 Python Console
Python 2.7.10 (default, May 23 2015, 09:40:32) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
>>> 

Regarding the error related to trying to run colorxhtml.py, that is completely normal if you tried to run it outside of GIMP's internal python interperter, because it is a gimp-python plugin that requires the GIMP-specific libraries to be loaded into python to function.  

Kniyght
Kniyght's picture
Thank you for these quick

Thank you for these quick replies but I think you're right, when I launch gimp and go to Filters there is no Python-Fu, only Script-Fu. Should I redo the Gimp installation steps?

ponyrider0
ponyrider0's picture
Contributor
Yes, try uninstalling and re

Yes, try uninstalling and re-installing GIMP.  I am working on a step-by-step installation tutorial for all the tool components but it is not ready yet.  Here are the basic steps though:

1. Select Customize
  2. Set destination location: C:\GIMP28
  3. Select FULL Installation
  4. Install

dasoffertorium
dasoffertorium's picture
Hello,

Hello,
I have regenerated everything again. Unfortunately, I still have the same problem, the missing meshes.
I have uploaded the log files at Paste bin:unfortunately it is
modexporter_blender_error.log too big, I shortened the file and removed all lines with the word info.

I have checked the settings, I see no deviations from the tutorial.

Is there a way to just build the mashes without starting the whole path?

Thanks and greetings

DasOffertorium

modexporter_error.log

modexporter_dialogError.log

modexporter_blender_error.log

ponyrider0
ponyrider0's picture
Contributor
dasoffertorium wrote:

dasoffertorium wrote:

Hello,
I have regenerated everything again. Unfortunately, I still have the same problem, the missing meshes.
I have uploaded the log files at Paste bin:unfortunately it is
modexporter_blender_error.log too big, I shortened the file and removed all lines with the word info.

I have checked the settings, I see no deviations from the tutorial.

I went through your log files and they are nearly identical to mine -- so it looks like all pathways are at least producing the proper output at each stage of modexporter and the mesh conversion and processing stages.  I do not see any signs of blender-python errors occurring.  Without the INFO lines, I will have to assume that the mesh post-processing stage is also correctly working.  I don't know if the NIF_Converter.exe is fully working, but the blender fallback/failsafe is at least working, so the worst case scenario if the NIF_Converter.exe stage is broken is that the conversion time will be 4-5 times longer, but should not result in a decrease in conversion accuracy or compatibility.

I am unable to make any comment on your screenshots because they are not in an area with unique scenery.  Make screenshots in Firewatch, Necrom, OldEbonheart, Baan Malur, Almalexia and I will be able to recognize immediately.  Or better, post the exact location of where you took those pictures.  Those missing meshes could be normal in certain areas, especially in the western wilderness areas of TR_Preview, where there is a lot of reuse of the same few meshes, especially a few BM trees that do not have a static equivalent.  The number of diamonds is meaningless, since this could be just one tree or boulder or mushroom that is being repeated multiple times.  You need to post the number of unique BaseObject FormIDs (select object, then type GetBaseObject in console) in order to assess the mesh conversion failure rate or the substitution failure rate (due to missing vanilla Morrowind equivalent assets in Morroblivion).  If these diamonds represent missing vanilla Morrowind equivalent assets, then the mesh converter is working correctly and ignoring assets which would violate Bethesda EULA if converted.  Post the BaseObject FormIDs and we will know more.

If those diamonds do in fact turn out to be missing vanilla Morrowind equivalent assets, then the workaround would be to install a mesh replacer for that object in your Morrowind installation.  Example: if the missing mesh corresponds to a vanilla Morrowind tree from bloodmoon, then install a BloodMoon Tree Mesh Replacer inside Morrowind.  There is also a way to remap those vanilla Morrowind assets to Oblivion FormIDs like for records of vanilla Morroblivion that use speedtrees instead of static trees, by using the FormID Override CSVs, however, I have not fully tested and formalized the exact steps to do that yet.

Quote:

Is there a way to just build the mashes without starting the whole path?

There are two methods: "start blender conversion.bat" or  (my preferred method) launch "start modexporter.bat" as normally, then close the window at the ESM/ESP selection dialog popup.  If you did not delete the GIMP processing log files, then the texture stage should skip through.  The mesh stage will then automatically resume processing of any unfinished job files.  If there are any specific job files that you would like reprocessed, then rename the desired *.job.done file back to *.job.  Make sure the temporary mesh files in the Oblivion.output\temp folder are not deleted so that blender-python pathway can access them.

Kniyght
Kniyght's picture
Thank you Ponyrider, it

Thank you Ponyrider, it worked! I had selected full installation on Gimp last time but either way after reinstalling I ran into no further issues.

And by the way, I think your tutorial is already very well detailed and layed out step by step. I'd never installed or used any of the tools in your list and apart from that one hiccup with Gimp, everything was easy to follow and worked out fine. Thanks for the help!

dasoffertorium
dasoffertorium's picture
Hello,

Hello,

I looked at the missing meshes with the Mod FormId finder. It looks for the meshes in the /morro/f/ ... directory. I don't have this directory. Here are my current Folderlist below the morro folder: Link

Thanks for your help.

DasOffertorium

ponyrider0
ponyrider0's picture
Contributor
Meshes\morro\f\FloraUbushU01

Meshes\morro\f\FloraUbushU01.nif is a vanilla Morrowind mesh which will never be converted because it is a violation of the Bethesda EULA.  This is built into the design of modexporter.  Try installing a bush replacer into Morrowind, like this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42941/?

I will work on a mod that automatically substitutes the bush and a few trees to SpeedTrees.  Thanks for the report.

Meljuk
Meljuk's picture
Sorry, for the late reply.

Sorry, for the late reply. Here's the requested video. The thumbnail is a picture of the Oblivion.output\Data folder, showing that there's no Meshes folder inside after the procedure. I've already done as you asked and it took way longer the first time. Here's the Video.

ponyrider0
ponyrider0's picture
Contributor
Meljuk wrote:

Meljuk wrote:

Sorry, for the late reply. Here's the requested video. The thumbnail is a picture of the Oblivion.output\Data folder, showing that there's no Meshes folder inside after the procedure. I've already done as you asked and it took way longer the first time. Here's the Video.

Thanks.  The first error that I see is that you have the settings.bat incorrectly configured.  GIMPEXE is pointing to "C:\Blender\blender.exe".  Make sure you have it pointing to the correct path of the GIMP console executable.  The next issue I see is that blender does not appear to be starting... it looks like the script is reading the job file and then moving on without actually performing any of the jobs.  I'll have to study this in more detail to figure out how that can happen without any error messages.

OK, sorry -- my fault.  There is a bug in the script causing it to crash without the NIF_Conv.exe.  Follow these steps and the Blender EXE should start launching:

1. In order to quickly test the blender pathway, do not delete the Oblivion.output contents before starting these steps.

2. In "modexporter_blender_main.py", go to line 54 and change this line:

nifConvPath = "NIF_Conv.exe"

to this:

nifConvPath = "echo.bat"

3. Open a text editor and type in this line:

echo %1

Then save it as a document named "echo.bat" inside your OpenMW folder.

4. Rename "E:\Oblivion.output\jobs\ModExporter_blender_Tamriel_Data_fullres_collision_0000.job.done" to "E:\Oblivion.output\jobs\ModExporter_blender_Tamriel_Data_fullres_collision_0000.job".

5. Launch "start modexporter.bat", press spacebar, then close the "OpenMW-CS" window instead of clicking "Edit a Content File".  Press spacebar, if the GIMPEXE is still broken then the textureprocessing stage should skip through.  If the GIMPEXE is fixed, then this stage should only  be performed once (about 10-15 minutes) and then skip through all subsequent times.  Then press spacebar again and the Blender pathway should start.  Post a video of that section.

Meljuk
Meljuk's picture
The GIMPEXE was on that

The GIMPEXE was on that pathway, because I originally got an error telling me to put it on the blender path and it worked. I put it back now, and it seems to work (I put it to C:\GIMP28\bin\gimp-2.10.exe and not C:\GIMP28\bin\gimp-console-2.10.exe). Here's the requested Video.

ponyrider0
ponyrider0's picture
Contributor
Meljuk wrote:

Meljuk wrote:

The GIMPEXE was on that pathway, because I originally got an error telling me to put it on the blender path and it worked. I put it back now, and it seems to work (I put it to C:\GIMP28\bin\gimp-2.10.exe and not C:\GIMP28\bin\gimp-console-2.10.exe). Here's the requested Video.

Why are you using GIMP 2.10 instead of the installer that is linked in the Tutorial?  Why would you name the installation folder GIMP28 if it's not GIMP 2.8?  That will lead to greater confusion for everyone involved.  Based on the video, gimp-2.10.exe is not even launching.  Blender is also not launching.  FYI, this is the expected output after the filenames are printed:

Compiled with Python version 2.6.2.
Checking for installed Python... got it!
Input file not found! skipping file...

Blender quit

Unfortunately, your problems can not be further debugged with the current modexporter.  When I release a new version of modexporter, I will include the necessary exception handling to capture and print the error information needed to figure out what is wrong with your installation.  This will not be for at least another 1-2 months.  For now, the only other suggestion I have for you is to uninstall everything and follow the tutorial instructions exactly -- using the exact installers from the download links instead of trying to download what you think will be compatible.

Jalson10
Jalson10's picture
Hi, so I tried doing this,

Hi, so I tried doing this, followed the instructions but when it came to doing the Meshes conversion, the console just ends up telling me that the BSA has too many files and wants me to press any key. When I do it just does the same thing again and again.

oracus0
oracus0's picture
I'm sorry I can't help solve

I'm sorry I can't help solve your problem, but I can't resist thinking of this:

ponyrider0
ponyrider0's picture
Contributor
Jalson10 wrote:

Jalson10 wrote:

Hi, so I tried doing this, followed the instructions but when it came to doing the Meshes conversion, the console just ends up telling me that the BSA has too many files and wants me to press any key. When I do it just does the same thing again and again.

I can't remember ever seeing an error message like that before.  My first guess is that the NIF_Conv.exe subsystem is getting overloaded, but then the Blender subsystem should be taking over.  Even then, I remember testing multiple times to verify compatibility with the file versions listed in the tutorial.  First, please make sure you are using the CORRECT VERSION of the required files and NOT the latest versions.  If you are still having problems, please post your INI files and post screenshots, videos, error logs, etc.

Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to make any updates to modexporter any time within the next 6-8 months.  Hopefully, it is just a missed step somewhere.

DaggerfallTeam
DaggerfallTeam's picture
Donor
Latest release of Mods for

Latest release of Mods for MODExporter for version 66

ONLY for v066

2022-JAN-08