I played Oblivion for 300 hours, am familiar with the mod process and absolutely loved the entire experince. Then I heard that a sequel was in the mix, Skyrim and had a stroke. While I was looking into Skyrim, I ran across all these Oblivion vs Morrowind posts on the Interwebs. Morrowind had never crossed my mind because of the age and graphics, but the arguments for the game itself are compelling, so I purchased said Morrowind game (GOTY). I figured I owed it to myself to play it before Skyrim released.
I started to search for mods and other advice on play and stumbled across THIS abomination. You guys are a special kind of crazy. I love this kind of crazy though. Before I start the game, I was hoping for some advice and help. I've done my best to read everything that was suggested, but I'm still missing something and hoping someone from the community could help me out.
1) The way I play RPG games (do every side-quest, look at every flower, kill every enemy, take every silver spoon, etc.. ), I probably only have one playthrough of Morrowind in me. Should I try to install the mods, meshes, patches, etc and play Morroblivion or would it be better for me to play Morrowind proper. To those who have played both, what do you think? I am very patient and don't mind tinkering.
2) From what I've read, Morroblivion is basically a mod for Oblivion. How does that work? I swear I've read everything I could, but I couldn't find anything that tells me if I can carry a character from Oblivion into Morrowind or vice versa (yes I do know you can travel from one world to the next, but does that mean the same character or do you have a separate, new character when that happens with the rules for the particular game?). Do you just run back and forth between the two with the same character and do all quests, in both games? If you can keep a character, do XP points and levels maintain? For instance can I take my level 10 elf-mage-rage-warrior with hemorrhoids from Oblivion and plop him into Morrowind does he start the game with the same attributes, equipment, abilities and (unfortunate) ailments?
I'm not really sure I'm asking the right question, but interested in how it works, if anyone can point me to web pages I've missed or clue me in, I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance,
D

I personally am in the boat
I personally am in the boat of playing Morrowind proper, but some people can't deal with the graphics. Even when installing graphic mods to the game, it still looks outdated. Hence the beauty of Morroblivion. You can keep your Oblivion character and keep the graphics too! Well mostly. Some models are still outdated unless you download the graphics mods for Morroblivion.
This should actually address your second question by stating that the quests from each world are independent. You can have your level 80 Oblivion character in Vvanderfell and you are back at level 1 needing to fight your way up. Or like me, you can make a new character in Vvanderfell and go into Cyrodiil and do the main quest. Which is why the teleport NPC asks if you want to warp to the imperial city with or without the amulet of kings.
So in summation, you can keep your oblivion characters and play them in Morroblivion just fine. Though keep in mind that some of the items in Morrowind may unbalance the game a bit. Especially the constant effect rings of restore health. I have armor, plus a ring, and an amulet that make me indestructible. I heal faster than anything can hurt me. And that's just something to consider. Frankly I prefer that since it saves time/weight for having to heal, but meh. Another thing that unbalances the game is a restoration spell I picked up that gives me acrobatics +400. Fantastic spell that pretty much lets me go anywhere I want. Using that in Oblivion means I can even jump outside of the cities.