Skip to main content

Best way to Update?

Submitted by Sigynd on

When updating from an older versions, which files have to be replaced?

 

Just the .esm or all of the files down at the bottom of the page?

I'm going from from v022 to 024 hopefully.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

How you update depends on how you installed the mod originally.

Did you install just by copying all of the files into your Oblivion/Data/ folder?

If so, just copy over the new files.  You will need the updated .esm file as well as the Additional Support Files.  If you're paranoid, you can re-download all four packages (complete installation files 1-3 and additional support files) and copy them over to your Oblivion/Data/ folder in that order.

Did you install the mod with Wyre Bash (recommended) or Oblivion Modd Manager?

In Bash, simply uninstall the old mod, make a new folder for the new mod in Bash Installers, copy all the files and folders for the complete installation to this new folder, and install the new version from the Installers Tab in Bash.  This is what I do, and the process is covered in detail in the FAQ.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

It is hard to keep up with what is required from one version to the next. I generally try to tell you when you need to install files, but this is only good between two versions. For more than one version difference, I would always play it safe and download the "Additional Support Files." Between v022 and v023 a new download of Support files was definitely needed. You do NOT need to replace any file from the Complete Installation unless I indicate this.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like I'll just replace all four files just in case. Keep up the great work!

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I'm on v023 and want to update to v025. Do I just download v025's esm and additional support files and overwrite the old ones? Or do I have to go from v024 to v025?

 

Thanks

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Files are self-contained. You do not have to go consecutively from one to the next in order. 023 to 025 is fine. 001 to 025 would be fine.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Thanks for that info David, but I have one more question:

 

So all I need is v025's .esm and additional support files, right? I don't need any other files or folders from v025?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Come on, pay attention. I have already gone over this a few posts down in this very thread. You do NOT need to reinstall the Complete Installation. If I ever rebuild the Complete Installation again, then I will say so in no uncertain terms. It is unlikely that I will ever rebuild it again because I have been testing Eloth's Visual Upgrade, so my installation is no longer clean and vanilla.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Ah all right, I didn't see that before (otherwise I wouldn't have asked). Thanks again.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)