Well, I recently was working on converting some models, I haven't had much success, I was however able to get some advice from one of the best modelers for the games(OB\MW). (They were reluctant to help, and probably want to remain anonymous..)
One problem, is you need to ignore root nodes on import, Oblivion does not support these, and it causes some of the issues we are seeing with models. (Bip01 must be the root node in Oblivion, current attempts have old model refs like CorprusStalker.nif as the root node.. This fixes that issue.)
if you do this, then select the skeleton, and Reset XForms, you will see why they are messed up in game, the model when properly imported, isn't facing correctly, it's rotated 90 degrees. (Probably some obscure bug in the import script, as the model is actually faced properly if you view it unedited in NifSkope,..)
Fixing that isn't too hard, you simply have to rotate the skeleton (after going to Hierarchy, and selecting effect pivot only.. You need to reset xforms to get the changes to take effect..)
Now, the final problem, is that the animation are no longer properly aligned on the axis for walking\movement, but, it shows up in Max, the same way it does in-game at this point, they probably need manual fixing, but I'm no 3ds expert. (Perhaps a simpler method exist..)
Hopefully, this helps someone with more 3ds skills figure out how to fix them.
--
Note: Again, I'm no 3dsMax expert, everything here is just guessing at the issue, the only thing I can say for sure, is you need to make sure Bip01 is the root node, ignoring root nodes on import does just this. (That's based on the advice of one of the best, they know what they are talking about, sadly, they would offer no more help than that.)
Last edited by TheShadow on 25 Aug 2010 - 22:23.

" One problem, is you need