Skip to main content

Creature Havok Testing

Submitted by Hashmi1 on
______________________________ I don't currently have access to the game and so I need some one to try this in-game for me. I can't move forward unless someone tests this out. _______________________________ Ok I have started on the Nixhound fist. Here are the files (models and textures only) with some havok added to the tail end. Hopefully this aims to resolve the following issues: - Make corpse lootable when the creature dies - Prevent the dead creature from re-setting to stand pose when you load a savegame or change cells. Try this and tell me if you see any differences with regards to the issues mentioned above. Note: Last time I tried this ... the nixhound got stretched like bubble gum all over the screen ... be prepared :p Also the havok has currently only been added to the tail end of the hound ... so make sure you try to loot the corpse from there. Download Link: http://www.4shared.com/file/WXlODrGr/nixhound_havok.html
Karma: 0 (0 votes)
Last edited by Hashmi1 on 3 Oct 2010 - 03:11.

I don't currently have access to the game and so I need some one to try this in-game for me. I can't move forward unless someone tests this out.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

ok I'll try it right now
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Ok, found a nixhound and killed him dead. Bad news: Can't loot him, not even at the tail. on quickloading after quicksaving he remained dead. however, on quitting the game and then loading the save the nixhound was once again standing. I will note this though: the meshes and textures in this package were exactly the same size as the ones that were already in my data folder.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

It would probably be easier taking the dog skeleton that is rigged and moving its bones to match the nixhound. I have compared both the dog and nixhound skeletons in nifskope, and im afraid its too much work putting in one thing at a time. Im not sure if its easier too add havok from within 3d max, that has to be investigated.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

@Sighfin: There was'nt supposed to be a size increase ... at not a reasonable one. Its just one more capsule. However are you sure that you over-wrote the orignal files? Anyways I will try again.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

@eloth: Fitting the dog skeleton to the nixhound would be terribly difficult if not impossible. There are numerous differences in the heirachry. Ofcourse making the animations work on it will be another issue.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

@Hashmi, I'm fairly certain I did, but I'll do the process over and see what happens, in an hour or so.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

@hashmi1: Now i tried to import the dog skeleton in 3d max, and then import the nixhound skeleton ontop of the dog, seems like they blended together, the nixhound got the dogs capsuleshapes and rigid bodies. After a battle with the exporter i exported a skeleton. I tried it ingame and when i killed the nixhound i could loot it, but the body was froze midair, seems the death anim was wacked.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Here is a second attempt at havok. http://www.4shared.com/file/fN62SItL/Nixhound_havok2.html Please try and tell me if there is any improvement. ------------------------ @eloth: Its an interesting method , though I am still amazed as to how it worked :p ... anyways If you got all the havok shapes then try to delete the death animation totally and then play ... that just might solve the freezing problem. You don't need a death animation if you have complete havok. 99% of oblivion creatures do not have a death anim because they let physics handle it.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

umm, that totally crashed my game :) I think i have the easiest way of adding havok, if you find an oblivion creature skeleton mesh that has more or less the same number of bones like the nixhound skeleton, you import it into 3d max, rename the bones to match the nixhounds bones, then import a clean nixhound skeleton ontop of the modified oblivion skeleton, the nixhound skeleton will automatically use all the rigid bodies and convex shapes, and reshape the collision to fit the nixhound.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I will definately try that at some time :) . Its a great method and can probably be modified to fit nearly every creature in morrowind. Unfortunately I can't try it anytime soon. I left my 3ds max cd at home when I was gone for the summer vacations ... and I don't plan to go back before december.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

i will try to investigate further :)
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Did a more thorough test on version two. no change really, still can't loot it, still stands back up when you load a game. I've also noticed, over the past couple of days, not just specifically with this release, that while the nixhounds animations all work, it's walking animation and idle animation and such, it doesn't actually walk anywhere. it moves, but only in the way that it will be walking on the spot in one place, and then walking on the spot in a different place 10 feet away, sometimes it slides backwards or to the side. it only really seems to move properly while it's attacking.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)