Skip to main content

Oblivion Crisis Era in Morrowind / Morroblivion?

Submitted by Icehair on

Since I'm new to these forums, I first have to congratulate the dedicated people here on your work. I haven't really been to this site since back when Morroblivion NPCs were still missing their arms... but now, not only is Morroblivion working like Morrowind proper, but it seems the Skywind project is quickly approaching the stage Morroblivion was at back then!

To me, however, the Morroblivion version of Morrowind still 'feels' like an Oblivion-era version of the Dunmer land (maybe because I could never get OBGE to work). So, while I'm amazed at the work you guys have done on restoring Morrowind's quests and so on to Morroblivion, my question is this: Has anyone ever attempted to make the Morrowind of the era of the Oblivion Crisis, instead of the era of the Nerevarine? in Oblivion, there were always rumors about what was happening in Morrowind - the slaves freed, Oblivion gates popping up all over Vvardenfell and so on. If there are still any Oblivion modders out there, I'm just saying it would have been incredibly cool to be able to take your Oblivion character there to see these things going on, rather than being transported back to the bygone era of the Nerevarine. Anyone ever tried that?

Please don't take this as criticism of the amazing job you've done at recreating Morrowind as faithfully as possible to the era of the Elder Scrolls III. It's a maginficent experience. It just left me wondering, and so I'm asking for informatition.

 

 

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Interesting, certainly more integration between the two games would be amazing, like Oblivon Gates in Vvardenfell.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

The VAST majority of Morroblivion players want Morrowind to be Morrowind, and if they could morph the game to BE Morrowind, they would. I once put out a request for things that needed addressing. I got nothing. Instead, I got a litany of ways in which Oblivion is not Morrowind. The dialog in Oblivion, about Morrowind, is terrible and totally inappropriate. It is just Bethesda's poor attempt at rationalizing their decision to keep the two games separate. To follow Oblivion lore about Morrowind, you would need to destroy Ald-Ruhn, etc. So, I disabled all the Morrowind-specific dialog from Oblivion that talked about the Duke and House Dress picking apart the carcass of ruined Indoril, etc... However, in my own personal version of Morroblivion, there are 50 Oblivion Gates scattered across Vvardenfell. As a note, there was some discussion when Oblivion came out, about which was bigger, Cyrodiil or Vvardenfell. Well, there are 100 Oblivion gates that fit easily in Cyrodiil, but I was hard pressed to fit 50 in Vvardenfell. Cyrodiil is, without question, much larger than Vvardenfell. And in answer to your real question, an Oblivion-Era Vvardenfell is what SOVVM is all about, not Morroblivion, so maybe you should check out SOVVM. It will never happen in Morroblivion... unless you do it :)
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Mmmmm... i might do a mod that adds gates to Vvardenfell, mainly outside the main towns be a nice little optional addition i think. :)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

A-hah - thank you kindly, Mr Project Lead; the Lands of Solstheim Vvardefell and Mournhold mod seem to be exactly what I was looking for!=) Peculiar that this mod didn't turn up when I searched for Vvardenfell on tesnexus... but then their search engine doesn't always work well. Or maybe I forgot a 'v'... or an 'l' ;)

Be assured I meant no quarrel with your attempt to recreate Morrowind on Oblivion's engine. (Though if I literally wanted my game to BE Morrowind... wouldn't I then simply go play the game Morrowind? Some differences are a good thing. I'm actually considering starting a Let's Play series of Morroblivion that wouldn't really work in Morrowind, because the way some of the skills work is different. Still only thinking about it, but...)

I also agree with you that what Bethesda did to Morrowind in the lore of the next game - and to Cyrodiil as well, actually, in Skyrim - was rather... harsh. The results of the player's heroic endeavors to save the world of Tamriel seem rather.... meagre in the end.

Be that as it may, however, I thought some modders might enjoy razing Ald-ruhn to the ground and turning their most-hated Al-ruhn NPCs into the most inventive specimens of mutilated corpse they could imagine... But I won't be modding (Morr)Oblivion, I'm afraid. Never got around to modding in TESIV and now there's a new game out (that's a lot harder to mod in :~

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

So I tried the above-mentioned mod. Solstheim was kinda fun even if nothing much was going on, but Vvardenfell... honestly, the mod would have been more aptly called 'the Lands of Solstheim, Mournhold and Seyda Neen'. I'd be willing to wait of course since the mod is a WiP, but people are pronouncing the mod dead in the Nexus comments field and the author hasn't been around to dispute it for months.

Hey, Gidz89, in my book there's still room for those Oblivion gates as a Morroblivion mod ;)

Mr Project Lead - have you ever considered releasing your Oblivion-gates-in-Morroblivion as an add-on?

While I appreciate the vast amount of time and effort thePostalModder and others must have put into that 'Lands of' mod, seeing as they were actually planning on remaking the whole Morrowind FROM SCRATCH as opposed to fixing up an automated conversion, surely a more realistic approach would have been to make an esp for Morroblivion that deactivates the Blight and deactivates/'completes' at least the main quest, kills the end bosses, wipes out Ald-ruhn and frees all the slaves. Essentially something not that different from the initial releases of Morroblivion but without all the bugs, missing arms etc that plagued Morroblivion back then. I don't know zilch about Oblivion modding except that it's a lot harder than it was in Morrowind, but I do know that IN the original Morrowind it shouldn't have taken me THAT long to whip up a mod that did this.

Then you'd have to get to work on changing all the Nerevarine-specific dialogue and start thinking about new quests of course. So of course it would still be a huge project and a WiP for a long time. But it should still have a lot more depth than the 'Lands of' has now, some 4 years after development of that project started...

Mr Project Lead - I take it from your "...unless YOU do it"-comment that you would at least not be fundamentally opposed to the idea of someone else making a mod that changes Morroblivion like that? Or?

I honestly don't know if I'll ever have the time or even the wits to learn as much about Oblivion modding as I would need to even begin trying to do that in Morroblivion - but I'm starting to get the feeling it couldn't hurt to at least look into it? Unless you have any objections, that is, or unless there's another bold modder out there willing to take on the responsibility, of course? ;)

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)