Skip to main content

Follower mod in progress

Submitted by Oblisgr on

Hello,

I have completed a Beta version on Followers mod for Morroblivion.

You can use any companion mod to control them, but i personally suggest Companion Share/Recruit. I use this and I am very satisfied because I can give the spells too.

The things work till now is:

1. Database 63 npcs that will populate Vhanderfell world with 23 unique npcs that will accept to follow player. They rest in various taverns all over Vhanderfell and the player has to discover them. They dont have spells (I m thinking to give a starting spell on spellcasters), but you need to give them items/spells.

2. Random Personalities. Every npc will receive a ranom number on Responsibility/Energy/Confidence in order to create unique personalities like: (the coward warrior, the energetic mage, the lawfull priest etc). This part has still much thinking befre release, because a follower that flees from battle is useless etc...

3. Random Classes. Every time you start a new game, the same npc will be generated with random class. This means that Oblisgr (for example) will be warrior at game1, mage at game2, thief at game 3 etc.

4. Random Birthsigns. Every npc follower will recieve a Birthsign at the start of the game, and gain some characteristic. A few bugs here too, because some Birthsigns have spells, and the npcs cast them a lot of times, while they have to use them once per day.

5. Random life. The npcs will not have specific packages. They decide what to do in their free time. Every 2 hours the npc generates a package to do. From exaple the day1 (14-16) they may eat in tavern, while the day2 they may dance or smoking its pipe and relaxing. 

6. Followers can populate your castle, your cave, your house and do their packages there. They will not abandon the place you choose them to stay. They will eat, read, drink, smoke, dance, player lute, sleep and other there.

7. Random weapons and clothes at the start. Using leveled items I have gave them the opportunity to select what they will wear when you first met them, and what weapon they will use. Weapons are based on their class (for example you will never meet a mage wielding a claymore, but you give them yourself when you recruit them.)

This is what the mod does at them moment... but I want to add more!

1. I was thining to add more package options like find/use painting, find/use rake and others, hunting etc. This is quite difficult because they have to travel outdoors to do that and they may lost their way in wilderness. 

2. I m trying to find a way to make the have romance between them. The couple will share a common item that will make them in love. Then the will only recruit the player, together.  This is too hard because I dont know where to start...

3. Add some Castle like buildings, caves and houses where the player can live. The player will be able to populate those places with the npcs. The npcs will patrol the area, and do their packages there.

4. Maybe if someone could help I could give them quests too. I cannot work on dialogs and quests and at them moment this is a far dream.

5. Create a new companion management dialog, and add my own scripts dialogs there. That way there will be no need for outer companion mods. I dont know anything from dialogs and this is too hard for me.

Need your advice and your suggestions please!

 

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

You may want to use CM partners as a base.  There are a LOT of good reasons to do this, including the fact that it's a lot less work to make, and that CM Partners does all the companion management for you and is well-known and well-debugged: http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/7819

And they even provide tutorials on how to set up partners:

You can create your own custom NPCs, beasts, and minions using the included step-by-step illustrated instructions and add them to the game. And you can now download more than 100 custom made Partner NPCs that other players have created that you can use in addition to or instead of the 70 provided.

Thermalase began work on a CM partners package for Morroblivion but never finished it - there is a WIP here: http://morroblivion.com/forums/morroblivion/mods/1532

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I encounter problem with CM and especially with the script replacement.

Every CM partner has some scripts to run. I have created my own set of scripts that manages the generators, behavior and the packages as well. (My scripts forces them to sit and read/drink/smoke etc when they are not following.) The npc shall start even with CM script or with my script. This is not functional.

Also CM script uses its own packages that are a bit different than mine. I dont want to complex them. My mod has the purpose to create npcs with their own will.

Also i cant create beast races because there is not a beast race npc on the basic mod to do a new copy. MAybe this is a silly problem but it made me ungry a lot of times.

The only deep companion mod i have found, that is not affecting anything, is Share/Recruit. It affects the behaviour of the npc only when he follows the player. The other time the npc is running my scripts.

Well ok everyone is free to use its own companion mod and the mods he likes. But as the creator of this mod, I shall warn people will us this "big" mod, that is not compatible with CM partners.

 

 

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I believe Thermador was making a suggestion, not criticizing you in any way. His main point was that CM Partners has about a Zillion users, and ANY questions and/or problems one could possibly have with it can easily and quickly be resolved/answered by popping a quick question on Nexus. Your mod sounds great. My main problem with companions, and why I NEVER use them myself, is the way Oblivion deals with them in combat. Enemies totally ignore the player and go single-mindedly after any follower. I hate that. The Vilja mod gets around this nicely, and is so far the only one I have ever seen that does, but even that one is not perfect, and in the end I basically have stopped playing with Vilja as well. If you could get around this "Feature" of Oblivion like the Vilja mod does, then you would really have something, otherwise, in my mind, this would be just another in a very, very long list of companion mods that I would never touch with a ten foot pole. The one thing that I really love about CM Partners, is that if the player turns invisible or uses Chameleon, the follower does as well. I typically grab that function and copy/paste it into any follower mods that I do try.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I believe Thermador was making a suggestion, not criticizing you in any way.

I didnt thought that. Sorry if my typing seems offencive. My English are not perfect as you can see. I m always open on suggestions.

The one thing that I really love about CM Partners, is that if the player turns invisible or uses Chameleon, the follower does as well. I typically grab that function and copy/paste it into any follower mods that I do try.

Turning invisible even if he is a warrior for example? Only a few warriors may have the magicka to cast spells (maybe a Altmer or a warrior with Atronach birthssign) and seems bad to my eyes . Anyway.. 

I really love CM partners myself. In oblivion I prefer playing with those companions because each one is unique. Of course i hate when i see them training on air but this is an other story :) And if you think it on an other way... why to build another CM mod. There are so many out there. 

I really like on Companion/Share v3.0 is the option to learn your companions spells from scrolls. This means that in Morroblivion they will cast Morrowind spells. If you think it by GM's side this is closer to the reallity.

The Vilja mod gets around this nicely, and is so far the only one I have ever seen that does, but even that one is not perfect, and in the end I basically have stopped playing with Vilja as well.

I have seen Vilja mod and played it a bit. Its code is too complicated for my knowledge and i coudnt find a way to understand it. 

My first choice would be to make my own dialogue for npcs. I want to make the follower's behaviour as close as reality but this is too difficult for my knowledge.. hehehe that wahy i choose Share/Recruit. It the simplest think around and in my opinion the most complete. 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

The basic mod is ready

Now i create a in-game editor that will allow the player to create a place for his companions. There is a magical chest merchant that sells chairs, benches, closets, beds and every kind of furniture. The player can buy furniture and create a cozy cave for example. The npcs will leave there and act as usual.

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Great! work Oblisgr,will you be putting recruitable NPC`s in towns or other locations that the PC can hire.?

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

The mod will be like the SIMS if you have played that game. Something like "ElderScrolls Life-Simulator". The player will not have main control on the npcs, but yes they will be available for hire. 

There are 60 possible npcs and 20 in game, (you will be able to meet them in taverns) ask them to come with you. Using some companion mod (I use Share/Recruit) you can lead them to a place, create a house for them, and let them leave there. Also you will be able to hire them for advanturing (but still this is not the main purpose of the mod).

Right now the mod is based on the variery, the randomness and the home planning.

Future plans will be romances, attitudes, jobs for them etc

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Furniture Chest Merchant Example.

I use same names as in editor, created icons so the player may know what he will buy and added a small ammount of money, so the play shall go adventuring. We dont lazy people. 

(Actually i immagine that those item may be bought with money the npcs collect. I dont know if this is possible but i think i shall spend some time to think of it.

 This is for tables:

[External image]

Karma: 0 (0 votes)