Skip to main content

Im so confused D: what do i do?

Submitted by Valakdhur on

I really want to play morroblivion ive always dreams of a world of morrowind with oblivions graphics and awesome capabilities, but i dont know what to download or do D:.. im not very smart when it comes to this stuff. the only thing i downloaded was Eloth's Magnificent Visual Overhaul which when i downloaded i read that one doc in it and moved the data file into my oblivions data file, but to be knoest i have no idea what it did.. could anyone please tell me what file i shud download so i can get the awesomeness goin :P. i really want to play it and possibly help with things if that wud be possible im good at finding glitches and such and ive used both the contruction sets often at times XP. but i dont really know how to script tho its confusing. er anyways yeah is there like one file i can download or is there various seperate ones, or a method on what i need to do. please tell me cuz the vid i watched didnt do anything. it would be very apreciated :D

 

Thanks.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

http://morroblivion.com/installation

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Eloth's overhaul will not do anything if you don't have morroblivion installed. Read the instructions that Hashmi1 posted, and try to see the videos - they are very detailed and step-by-step.

If you have no clue about Oblivion mod installation, you should read this website: TESCOSI

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

If you're talking about the actual installation of Morroblivion itself, I was just in the same boat a few days ago. I'd installed it once before- 2 years ago- and even then it was very susceptible to user error despite being a simpler process at the time.

I downloaded all the files listed on the installation page (all required ones anyway) and over the course of a whole day of doing so and freaking out that something, ANYTHING, would go wrong, I was amazed that by following the readmes in conjunction with the 3 tutorial videos I was able to install the game flawlessly on my very first attempt.

What you have is a case of information overload, basically. While the install instructions are clear and elaborate, they are also- no offense to those who crafted them- a bit overwhelming. If someone would have said to me "It looks like a lot but it's basically just a matter of adding a bunch of files to your data folder in the right order and then running a program to make sure the mod starts correctly", I would have felt a lot more at ease.

In a nutshell:

1: Install Oblivion and Shivering Isles, and install Morrowind, Bloodmoon, and Tribunal. Just make sure they go to C and not C:\Program files.

2: You then patch each game with its official patch and then the unofficial patch.

3: You then download and install quite a few files which, depending on your connection speed, will take a couple of hours or so. Minus Wrye Bash and Boss, which I did NOT use at any time (I used Oblivion Mod Manager), I followed the tutorial videos pretty much exactly. You'll be extracting various files which almost all end in a data folder, and over the course of the install you'll be adding more files to that data folder and replacing others as required.

4: You'll then merge that data folder with the one in your Oblivion directory.

5: Finally you'll run your mod manager of choice to make sure that the Morroblivion files are loaded by the game in the correct order (we're talking a total of maybe 7 files to be managed here).

 

This is, obviously, a very basic set of instructions and was only meant to give a general guideline to installing Morroblivion. I recommend going to the main download page on this forum, scrolling down until you start seeing all the necessary files, and downloading them. Then watch the tutorial videos- they're long, but keep in mind they actually include the entire install from absolute scratch and much of the length is you witnessing this).

Get all the necessary files, keep the Morroblivion file's readme open, and watch the videos. Match your steps with theirs. Trust me, I know it looks like a lot of installation and in a way it is- but don't let the sheer amount of installation convince you that it's actually incredibly difficult.

If you try all this and still get stuck, PM me and I'll try to help. Good luck.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Don't merge the Data folders - that is the manual way of installing. I suggest you use OBMM/Wrye Bash to install all the components instead. Uninstalling is a nightmare if you add mods manually, any of them, from simple ones, to more complicated ones like Morroblivion..

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

^ That's a good point, and one that I forgot to make.

It's up to the your own personal preference, really. You're right that uninstalling Morroblivion would be much easier if you did it using the programs listed. You're also correct that the way I described is the manual way. In fact, in the tutorial videos, they even mentioned that they consider their way (with said programs) to be easier than doing it manually and "copying over a bunch of folders". For some, I'm sure that's true.

I'm the kind of guy who, if a mod as large as Morroblivion gets messed up, would rather just reinstall the game from scratch anyway (after copying my saves first, of course) and though my way is probably the less graceful way of doing things, I'm also the kind of guy who just likes the simplicity of manually copying over mod files and folders myself than leaving it up to a program. To each their own, I suppose.

It's true, you might WANT to use Wrye Bash / Boss / or OMOD. You just don't HAVE to. It's whatever you find most intuitive. The most important thing you need these programs for, in my opinion, is just the last step of making sure that the load order is correct at the end of your install.

Far be it for me to argue with the people who have more experience with Morroblivion- I just wanted to say that if you'd rather use the mod management programs there's nothing wrong with that, but the manual method worked just fine for me.

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

With Wrye Bash, everything is easy when it comes to uninstalling/uninstalling.

Thought some people think it has a difficulty curve, once mastered, it makes any manipulation of mods a breeze. Installing+Uninstalling is much easier than OBMM (no omods to be created, just use the same zip/rar/7z archive you downloaded), so is mod cleaning. You also know easily which mods conflict, and what mod takes priority over others. So not only useful for load order manipulation,  but almost a one-stop shop for anything mod-related in Oblivion.

Here's a simple pictorial guide to get you started in Wrye Bash's awesomeness:

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I did mine manually, and have had no problems.

But then again, I only run Oblivion with a few mods.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I use a lot of mods myself, and have always preferred the manual method. Just old-fashioned in that way, I suppose.

You make a compelling argument for Bash though, anithinks. I'll give it a look next time I install a new mod.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)