Skip to main content

CS Error message on loading Morrowind_ob.esm

Submitted by Badgerlegs on

I keep getting this error message when I load up the morrowind_ob.esm in the construction set.

[External image]

I'm using v44 of the .esm, but this has been occuring since at least v39.

I have:

    Uninstalled and re-installed the CS

    Uninstalled and re-installed Oblivion, Shivering Isles, patches, etc

    Uninstalled, re-built, and reinstalled morrowblivion

    Unpacked the .esm installer with both 7zip and Winrar

    Run the installer as admin and as user

    sworn a bit

...and it's still coming up. Any thoughts?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Make sure you are using the most recent version of the CS; there are a couple out there. You should not receive ANY CS Errors when opening Morrowind_ob.esm. This is one of the things I check for before every release. Delete all the .ini files in your Saved Games folder. This will cause Oblivion to generate new default ini files.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Thanks for that David, I'll check them out.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Sorry to be a pain David,but not sure if I have the latest CS installed,could you post a link to it as I have lost mine.?

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Bookmark the Construction Set Wiki http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/The_Elder_Scrolls_Construction_Set
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Thanks! David,but I have now installed the latest version from your link above and deleted all of the .ini files,but I still getting the same error as Badgerlegs.

It loads everything after showing the error,so it it important.?

 BTW,I am in the UK and using the UK version of Oblivion GOTY and all UK updates and DLC,could that make a difference.?

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I doubt whether UK version makes any difference. Does this happen with other large mods? What happens if you open Oblivion.esm? My only other guess is Windows 7 or Vista need to be run as Administrator, and Oblivion should NOT be installed to the default location that the game will try to load to. Oblivion needs to be in some neutral location, like c:\games\Oblivion. I have never heard of nor seen this error. It sounds scary to me; I would not try to go ahead with anything. But, if you do go ahead, change something and save a new mod, does this happen when you reopen the mod?
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I am just as puzzled as you David.

I use WinXP for Oblivion & morroblivion [but have Win7 Pro on a different partition [multiboot].

Here is what I am doing:

In the CS I tick morrowind_ob.esm [v44] and do not try to make it active.

It then loads oblivion.esm then morrowind_ob.esm [but gives that one warning] then if I click Yes to continue it loads ok with no visible probs.

Tried a test by moving a barrel and putting it in a new location in Balmora,then saved it out as test.esp.

Closed the CS and reopened it and loaded the test.esp as activated file,it loaded oblivion.esm and also morrwind_ob.esm and test.esp,but after morrwind_ob.esm the warning still showed.

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I've had this error for a long time when opening Morrowind_ob.esm.  Started happening at least fifteen or twenty versions ago.  Doesn't seem to cause any problems.  Other people have brought it up too, but no one know what it is or what it does.

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Cheers thermador,that cool with me as my morroblivion & Oblivion runs ok.

The wording of the warning seems to refer to reading data from a chunk2 file,then fails,but I have no clue to what chunk of text or data it is refering to.

But as it does not cause any probs,thats cool with me,but Badgerlegs has the same warning so I quess it`s his call.

 Re downloading v044 in case I have a corrupted file,worth trying I quess.:)

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Unfortunately, the .ini remake didn't change anything.

Hmmm. *chinstroke*

For the record, I'm running Morroblivion on a Win7 Bootcamp partition on a 2010 iMac. Neutral install location, and the most recent version of the CS. (And the UK version. I don't know if/how that would affect things... I suppose it would depend on whether the localisation involved a major change in content, rather than language/spelling changes, that sort of thing)

Ironman & Thermador: Not just me then. Which is good/bad, I guess. I'm not getting any problems running the game either, at least not that I have experienced. I'm really reticent to start modding with it still happening, in case I write it into the mod, you know?

From the wording of the error message, I've been wondering if it's the result of a positive message getting pointed to an error message format to express itself. (Or something. I'm not a coder, as you can probably tell.)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I think you are close with your point about it being a positive [good] result that for some reason gets sent to an error trapping subroutine in maybe the UK versions only.

And to back that up the message also states that it completed successfuly.:)

Imo,it should be ok to mod as it obviously does not harm anything from a coding point of view.

Error trapping is a part of every program,and sometimes [in C/C++ code at least] a semi colon or colon missing on the end of a coding statement can trigger a warning.If it had been serious it would have triggered an error not just a warning and you and I would not have been able to click "Yes" as a choice.

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I did not know that, about error trapping. But now I do! Cheers. :) *makes a mental note*
Might have to do some modding, then. :D
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

To explain it more deeply:

When a coder [programmer] writes code he/she does it in a high or low level programming language,and each of those languages use what is called a syntac [proberbly spelled wrong].

He/she writes variables/statements/functions etc into an editor that is checked before being compiled for syntac errors.

Then it is compiled into machine level code [assembly code],binary or hex that the system can read.

As part of that code there must be a way to catch and deal with any slight or more serious coding errors [sometimes called bugs],so error trapping code routines are a very important part of any code.

A warning usually means that it does not effect the functioning of the program,but a fatal or near fatal error message should and usaully does,only give the user the option to exit the prog.

Scripting in the CS is the same and must also be compiled into machine readable code,but that is handled by the CS with no user input,at least most of the time.

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

"... [in C/C++ code at least] a semi colon or colon missing on the end of a coding statement can trigger a warning. ...

 

If your c complier allows you to have a semi colon missing and just generates a warning, you probably should look for a more robust compller ..

:)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Haha, yeah true dat Steph :D

But yeah, it shouldn't be able to compile. The statement technically wouldn't be finished.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Wow Ironman, thanks for sharing that stuff; its really cool to hear about. :D

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I realized that what I had stated was not actually correct steph,but just did not correct it as it was simpler than trying to describe a function not returning properly or something more complicated.:)

But the error trapping in the editor before compiling is highlighting that sort of syntax error,so I quess it still points out that error trapping is important.

 

 

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Problem solved [at least for me]:

I tried loading just the master morrowind_ob.esm into the CS and got the warning,but this time I let it load by selecting "Yes to All" and then reloaded it again using the files/data menu without closing the CS and it loaded without displaying the warning,so I can only assume that there is nothing wrong,and that the warning is being displayed for some wierd reason wrongly by the CS.

Imo if it was important it would have done it every time the master was reloaded.?

It did not mess up anything by reloading the master while it was still in the CS as it simply just overwrites the same data.

Annoying having to load the master twice but np as it works.

 

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)