Skip to main content

Crashes after trying to start a new game

Submitted by chocobubbba on

So, I read in the FAQs that it means my load order is botched, but I don't see how. I'll post everything I did.

I was following this http://morroblivion.com/forums/morroblivion/mods/2173 Before I started, I had just done a clean installation of Morrowind (Including Tribunal and Bloodmoon, tested to make sure it was working) and Oblivion (with Shivering Isles/Knights, which I also tested) I installed both games in C:\games\Bethesda\(respective game name here)

So, after making sure everything was working, I got started. I installed The Unofficial Oblivion Patch, followed by OBSE, and Ely's silent voice. Then I installed morrowind_ob.esm using the installer, then the complete installation, then DARNified UI, Themed loading screen, protocolled dialogs, (and MenuQ which is required for protocolled dialogs).

I installed no other mods, and after this I opened up wyrebash, and this is my load order.

Oblivion.esm, Morrowind_ob.esm, Bashed Patch (I have no idea what this is or if it needs to be on or not), Unofficial Oblivion Patch, Shivering Isles, Knights, Morrowind_ob files, with CAT last, Loading screens, dialogs, and lastly, the Morroblivion lighthouse home.

To run the game, I always open it using OBSE. It will crash soon after I hit new game. Am I doing something wrong?

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)
Last edited by chocobubbba on 20 Jun 2012 - 16:46.

I have no idea what Bashed Patch is either,but try unticking it in the OBMM as it certainly is not used by morroblivion,and if it is used by other mods you will notice which mod [if installed] is affected by it being unticked.

Try not using DARNified UI, and Themed loading screens,they might not be the reason but worth a try I quess.

 

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

ironman12345

I have no idea what Bashed Patch is either,but try unticking it in the OBMM as it certainly is not used by morroblivion,and if it is used by other mods you will notice which mod [if installed] is affected by it being unticked.

Try not using DARNified UI, and Themed loading screens,they might not be the reason but worth a try I quess.

Well, that fixed it once but my mouse was glitched and not working. Now I can't get it to work again.

Disabling DARNified UI and the Loading screens completely fixed it though...

 

[/quote]

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Now it`s working try putting DARNified UI before the _ob mods,and working on the load order you might get it working without losing anything that way.?

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

ironman12345

Now it`s working try putting DARNified UI before the _ob mods,and working on the load order you might get it working without losing anything that way.?

 

 

I'll give it a shot. I got it working by disabling the two you mentioned, and its mostly working, but I can't use my mouse at all during character creation, or in menus, etc. Also, all the fonts are massive and solid black.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Umm! Is your mouse working ok for normal use.?

Are your running any background progs that might be assigning mouse buttons to other things.?

Not sure how DARNified`s works,but does it assign keys or mouse buttons.?

Also,proberly not the cause of the mouse and fonts thing,but you MUST have your graphics settings in oblivion set to Large to run morroblivion.All other settings can be different,that setting must be Large.

 

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

If you mean the texture size, yeah its on large. But as soon as I start a new game I lose the ability to use my mouse for anything except controlling the camera angle and attacking/picking things up. The moment an interface pops up I have to do some awkward arrow-key stuff.

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

That`s weird,it sounds like something is messing with the game interface in menu`s only.

One thing you could try,but it will mean that will have to set up all of your controls in oblivion again.:(

Go to your My Documents/My games/Oblivion folder and cut and paste a backup of oblivion.ini to your desktop.

Then go to the Oblvion root folder and copy oblivion_default.ini to the My Documents/My games/Oblivion folder,and rename oblivion_default.ini  to oblivion.ini.

Then when you run the game you should have to setup all the control settings again and also the other setting like it was a new install of Oblivion.

GL.

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

The fonts problem you mentioned comes from uninstalling darnified without changing the font settings back to default values. You should either reinstall darnified or change the font settings in your oblivion.ini to:

[Fonts]
SFontFile_1=Data\Fonts\Kingthings_Regular.fnt
SFontFile_2=Data\Fonts\Kingthings_Shadowed.fnt
SFontFile_3=Data\Fonts\Tahoma_Bold_Small.fnt
SFontFile_4=Data\Fonts\Daedric_Font.fnt
SFontFile_5=Data\Fonts\Handwritten.fnt

You could also, like ironman stated, simply delete your oblivion.ini (make sure to create a backup). Next time you start oblivion, it will a create a new one with default values, but then you would have to reassign your controls.

Edit: If your mouse problem still persists, you should try uninstalling MenuQue and Protocolled Dialogs.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Okay so I tried redefaulting the .ini, and Oblivion wouldn't read it. I restored my old one and it worked again, and the fonts already are the default you mentioned, but I'm still getting the giant black fonts.

I removed MenuQ, and it led to closing as soon as I started to make a new game. Also, I can turn off protocolled dialogs, but I have no way to uninstall DARNified. (I installed everything manually)

Oh, and I still lose all mouse control once I start up a new game, and the problem persists when I'm back on the main menu... but it works when I first load up the game.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

ahh ok, so if i understand you right, you didn't uninstall darnified (but how did you disable it??). if the darnified menu files in oblivion\data\menus\prefabs\darn and the darnified font files in oblivion/data/fonts are still present (just reinstall darnified if you're unsure), you should change your oblivion.ini font settings to use darnified fonts:

[Fonts]
SFontFile_1=Data\Fonts\Kingthings_Regular.fnt
SFontFile_2=Data\Fonts\DarN_Kingthings_Petrock_14.fnt
SFontFile_3=Data\Fonts\DarN_Kingthings_Petrock_16.fnt
SFontFile_4=Data\Fonts\DarN_Oblivion_28.fnt
SFontFile_5=Data\Fonts\Handwritten.fnt

...and i would encourage you to read the darnified readme. There's everything explained ;)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Eazzy

ahh ok, so if i understand you right, you didn't uninstall darnified (but how did you disable it??). if the darnified menu files in oblivion\data\menus\prefabs\darn and the darnified font files in oblivion/data/fonts are still present (just reinstall darnified if you're unsure), you should change your oblivion.ini font settings to use darnified fonts:

[Fonts]
SFontFile_1=Data\Fonts\Kingthings_Regular.fnt
SFontFile_2=Data\Fonts\DarN_Kingthings_Petrock_14.fnt
SFontFile_3=Data\Fonts\DarN_Kingthings_Petrock_16.fnt
SFontFile_4=Data\Fonts\DarN_Oblivion_28.fnt
SFontFile_5=Data\Fonts\Handwritten.fnt

...and i would encourage you to read the darnified readme. There's everything explained ;)

That might have been my first mistake, not reading the readme. I usually read them though... Anyways, thank you for all your help, I'll try this out and get back to you.

 

EDIT: Wow. I can't believe the entire problem was something that simple. That seems to have fixed everything, and the game looks amazing. Thank you guys so much for helping me, I really appreciate it.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)