I've been following this project for as long as it has existed. You guys have come a long way; I've tried the latest release and more than anything it's a testament to what is possible when you 'put your back into it'. But it's still not what it should be, which I'm sure is plain to everyone. So I thought of ways I could help; I thought you guys made a lot of really strange decisions on which retextures and replacers etc to use in conjunction with your release, so I'm here to make some suggestions.
Not everything in my Morrowind Modding Guide will be of use to you, but I think a lot of it will be. I also think you'll find that many of the mod authors listed in my guide are open to granting permissions should you seek to aquire them.
Fair enough. Would still be
Fair enough. Would still be nice to see some of these gems from the community given some nice parallax maps.
Criticism
Constructive criticism is very necessary so I thank you for that. Just to make it clear, none of my texture replacers are a part of the official morroblivion project, they are simply things which I worked on which I released for others to use as well. However, all of the community provided texture replacers are completely optional and you are free not to use them; you could try to change something on your own so that it fits to your liking.
Suggestion
Another suggestion I have is to make a list of things that you don't visually like and send it to me and I'll see what I can do.
I agree
I agree knots, that looks amazing! I would love to see that go through the converter. And while it looks amazing, it also keeps the same grungy feel and look as the original Morrowind.
I like how there's a ton more trees, and thus more shade. It makes the swamp areas of Vvardenfell feel more "swampy."
What does everybody else think?
Morrowind (and indeed,
Morrowind (and indeed, Oblivion) doesn't support static shadow casting by default, RobertNeville. Morrowind allows actors (NPCs, the player) to cast shadows, Oblivion does that + it puts 'fake' shadow maps under trees to simulate tree canopy shadows.
With MGE XE, every static can cast a 'real' shadow, which is what is creating the 'shade', though there really are more trees.
helpfulperson, I will look into filling that request.
Ok
Ok so you're saying MGE adds "real" shadows, whereas in Morrowind and Oblivion, shadows are mostly just dark spots that are colored onto the ground (excluding character and npc shadows). I know Oblivion does a lot better job at shadows, but it still doesn't seem like there are shadows on everything. Is this what you mean?
Shadows is one thing that has always bothered me, especially outside. Take Balmora for example. On a sunny morning day, wouldn't you expect bright sunny sides on the east walls of buildings, and long dark casting shadows on the west walls? When you think about it, you really don't see shadows that much in Oblivion or Morrowind.
That's another reason why I'm excited about Skyrim. Rain and snow won't just fall through bridges and overhangings. Shadows will be dynamic, and be on everything, rocks, buildings, small objects, etc. Imagine playing Morrowind with that game engine ;)
But back to MGE. So even if MGE creates dynamic shadows, there's no way MGE will make it's way into Oblivion. I've heard it's already a hack running MGE in morrowind.
What are you talking about
What are you talking about 'no way MGE will make it's way into oblivion'? Oblivion already HAS a graphics extender, authored by the same initial person MGE was - Timeslip.
The Morrowind graphics extender is currently way way ahead of Oblivion's, but Oblivion's Graphic Extender has been making quite a bit of progress lately. For example, Tomerk has been working on a better water shader for oblivion.
Damn, yeah, I forgot about OBGE
Yeah, I forgot about OBGE. I remember getting that a long time ago to use motion blur. I also used another mod, I can't remember what it's called, but it allows close up objects to become focused while objects to the side or far away are blurred. Similar to aiming in FPS games, like Call of Duty. Anyway, outside of these mods, does OBGE have similar mods like MGE?
OBGE doesn't have as many
OBGE doesn't have as many features as MGE yet but with time I think it will.
The 'mod' you are thinking of, where things become focused, is called 'depth of field'. It's a shader, not really a mod on it's own, just a feature of OBGE.
Yup
Yup, that's the one.
Now I know we're getting way off topic here, but cmon, how can "Depth of Field" be a "feature" of OBGE if it doesn't come with it?
Depth of Field is packaged
Depth of Field is packaged with the OBGEv2 shaders package which is maintained by the OBGEv2 team. Several iterations of it are, in fact.

AFAIK ... Texture replacers
AFAIK ... Texture replacers are completely optional ... the mod core is shipped with default morrowind textures and content ... no morrowind mods are permanently integrated ... yet .
Besides ... which mods to use is a rather subjective descision that is perhaps best left to the players... i won't necessarily like what you like.