Skip to main content

Adding generic dialogue to new races?

Submitted by Didact1 on

Not sure if this is under the right category lol.. but anyway

How do I add the 'generic dialogue' to completely new races created in the CS? I'm having trouble figuring this out, creating a new NPC with say a dark elf has all his generic greetings/topics... How do I do this for a custom new race? I'm currently learning my way around dialogue so by helping me I'll hopefully be able to help with dialogue and stuff! I"m just messing around, creating a new race as a starter. All the test character for the new race says is 'nothing'. Generic topics doesnt show up, not even rumours? Do I have to add a 'quest' and add topics or what? I would really appreciate it if someone could do a very basic walkthrough of how to add generic topics/greetings/dialogue to a completely new race regards..

Karma: 0 (0 votes)
Last edited by thermador on 9 Nov 2011 - 09:28.

Dialog is controlled by Race and by Quest. On the "General" Tab of the Race Window to the right are options "Male Voice Race" and "Female Voice." These are what control the Greeting, conversation, gossip, and chit-chat of NPC's. So, for instance, when the Heart of Lorkhan has it's Male Voice set to High Elf, it will make idle chatter like "You look like a bright one," or "You must have spent some time repairing your gear." The Queen of the Ashlands had fits trying to get Dagoth Gares and Dagoth Ur to talk to the player. She ended up having to make the races playable. One of the first things Yoshimo did way back when, was to uncheck these as playable, so of course he got the "I HAVE NO GREETING." greeting when attempting to talk to them. No amount of playing around by him got this to work, so he got mad, gave up, and quit the Morroblivion project. If you want your race to have Oblivion chit-chat, then set this to be one of the existing races that seems to be the closest to what you want. Next, you need to have a quest running that holds the dalog. This can be as simple as "DidactQuest1," that is set to "Start Game Enabled." Within here you need to put at lease one response for the "GREETING" topic. Of course, the way you must do this is convoluted; you can't just add it simply. Instead, go to the "MorroDefaultQuest" GREETING topic, and add a response their for your race, like "Hi, I'm Didact's Great Race!" Once you have this response added, right click and "Move To Quest" then select your quest from the window. The Greeting topic will now be part of your quest and you can add to it from there.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)