Skip to main content

Trouble understanding how to install properly

Submitted by Vaskil on

I have downloaded all the files, have both Morrowind GOTY and Oblivion GOTY editions, installed the oblivion nexus mod manager, and have the unnofficial oblivion patch mod. When I start a new game it shows the character creation menu with me in a purple space with yellow boxes all over. Once I create my character me and a few NPCs fall and there are a few random crates floating. In the nexus mod manager I can only see the morrowind.ob.esm file and my oblivion files, none of the other morroblivion files seem to be in there. I have all the other files downloaded and copied into my oblivion folder after I have extracted them using 7zip file manager. I'm not that great with computers, so if you could explain things in a very simple way that would help. 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Nexus mod manager is not supported. Use Wrye Bash to install.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I didn't have any issues installing it with NMM, NMM can freeze or spit out errors due to the massive size, however.

If that happens just reinstall and it should work.

I also have over 180 mods installed so it's probably another mod you have installed.

When troubleshooting mods its best to think of it this way:

install mods that change core systems in Skyrim 1st

then new lands then textures and custom weapons, etc.

Always test Skyrim after every 3-5 mods to make sure nothing is broken.

Only install 1 mod per aspect of Skyrim you want to mod unless you're an advanced user and know how to use the load order to have several mods work at the same time (for example, Deadly Mutilation+Enhanced Blood Textures, they work together but only when you install Deadly Mutilation 1st and don't allow Enhanced Blood to override any files from Deadly Mutilation).

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I didn't have any issues installing it with NMM, NMM can freeze or spit out errors due to the massive size, however.

If that happens just reinstall and it should work.

I also have over 180 mods installed so it's probably another mod you have installed.

When troubleshooting mods its best to think of it this way:

install mods that change core systems in Skyrim 1st

then new lands then textures and custom weapons, etc.

Always test Skyrim after every 3-5 mods to make sure nothing is broken.

Only install 1 mod per aspect of Skyrim you want to mod unless you're an advanced user and know how to use the load order to have several mods work at the same time (for example, Deadly Mutilation+Enhanced Blood Textures, they work together but only when you install Deadly Mutilation 1st and don't allow Enhanced Blood to override any files from Deadly Mutilation).

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I downloaded wyre bash and it has the same problem as Nexus, only the Morrowind.ob.esm is showing up amongst the oblivion files. I think that I must have incorrectly installed all the other morroblivion files into the oblivion data folder. I downloaded all the files, extracted them all at the same time using 7zip file manager, then dropped them into the oblivion folder. Is that how I was supposed to do it or is there something I missed/did wrong?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Drop the 2Gb archive into Oblivion Mods\Bash Installers folder, then go to Installers tab in Wrye Bash and install from there.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean about the oblivion mods/Bash Installers folder. I can't find the folders relating to that. I can find the Wyre Bash Installer, but it does not contain a folder to drop it in. Unless you are talking about droping the 2gb archive into the wyre bash manager, but I tried that and it won't let me drop it in. So confusing.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

'Oblivion Mods' folder is in the same directory as 'Oblivion' folder, i.e. if you have Oblivion installed in C:\Oblivion, it will be C:\Oblivion Mods.

If it's not there, run Wrye Bash and go to Installer tab - it will create all necessary folders on initialization.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Alright! I finally got it to work and it was all thanks to you! You made this much easier to understand, thank you for taking the time to help me!

Karma: 0 (0 votes)