Skip to main content

Grey Screen?

Submitted by The Wasted 1 on

Okay so I installed the games, then installed Morroblivion (Manually, Wrye Bash wouldn't work for me) and the game loads up fine, but when I go to create my character, I see just a grey background behind the character customization. I just name my character and go on, hoping it's just a small bug, and again I get nothing but a grey background with the cross hairs and the stats menus/campus at the bottom. Help? I couldn't take a screenshot. When I try to load without Wrye Bash, I get yellow screen, and it's like I'm falling in the game with a gray background.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)
Last edited by The Wasted 1 on 23 Jan 2014 - 18:35.

to quote myself from another thread

gidz89

Definately a HDR issue, in your oblivion launcher go to the settings and disable it, alternatively you can force the HDR lighting option to work (looks nicer and the game seems to run better) by going to your Oblivion/Data/Shaders directory, making sure you first do a backup of your shaderpackage019.sdp and shaderpackage02.sdp files (incase it doesn't work, there's no guarantees). Then remove the shaderpackage02.sdp file and rename the shaderpackage019.sdp file to shaderpackage02.sdp

Now there's no guarantee that forcing HDR will work, but it should in most cases.

Karma: 3 (3 votes)

Try using  OBMM to Set your Load Order

Oblivion.esm

Morrowind_ob.esm

All Other files Here

Morrowind_ob.esp

Map Replacer Here if you are using it

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Try installing Darnified UI.

My situation: I installed Oblivion with some mods including DarnUI. Then i installed Morroblivion and could play nicely (without gray screen).

Then i deactivated DarnUI and got gray screen. Activating it fixed it again. Changing shaders, HDR or load order didnt help (i had HDR disabled all the time).

I never had gray screen on character creation though, always happened after finishing creation and confirming race.

For trolls: yes i know he asked half a year ago, but i still got here via google...

EDIT: Now i had the gray screen again, solved it by reinstalling Unofficial OPatch...

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

gidz89

to quote myself from another thread

gidz89

Definately a HDR issue, in your oblivion launcher go to the settings and disable it, alternatively you can force the HDR lighting option to work (looks nicer and the game seems to run better) by going to your Oblivion/Data/Shaders directory, making sure you first do a backup of your shaderpackage019.sdp and shaderpackage02.sdp files (incase it doesn't work, there's no guarantees). Then remove the shaderpackage02.sdp file and rename the shaderpackage019.sdp file to shaderpackage02.sdp

Now there's no guarantee that forcing HDR will work, but it should in most cases.

 

I had a similar problem with HDR, I followed your instructions and oblivion seems to work perfectly.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)