Skip to main content

Suddenly corrupted save

Submitted by TheFalcon19 on

I was playing this save for a few weeks with no problems and was almost done with all the morroblivion questlines but it looks like it somehow got half-corrupted.

By half-corrupted, I mean I can still load this save and play normally, however when I try to save my progress (even if I save right after loading the save)I get a CTD, resulting in a 128kb corrupted save.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

Is there anything that can salvage this save (since it loads) or is it a goner?

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

what mods have you recently installed? 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Can you Post Load Order,How do you Run your Game WB,OBMM do you use OBSE to Start your Game and What Quest are you Up to When you Cannot Save

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Have you tried disabling all mods?

And does saving work if you start a new game?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Thanks for the replies,

I made this file just to try out Morroblivion v59 so I only had the mods necessary to run it. "Trying it out" turned into a 40 hour save, but after that I stopped playing because I couldn't continue the Tribunal and Bloodmoon quests.

Almost one year later I decided to start up Oblivion again, so I made a clean Oblivion folder and installed the latest version of everything (v61) to make sure I don't have any leftovers from old stuff I don't remember.

This was the only major change to the mods used for this file.

After this I played this file for another 40 hours with this setup and I was ready to wrap up Morroblivion and move on to Oblivion when this happened.

Questions:
Recent mods: Voice Overs V002.esp

Saving otherwise: loaded my vanilla Oblivion character with all the mods active and I can save

How do I start the game:
Load order set up with OBMM while looking at Boss and the load order advice on this site. I start the game by running obse_loader.exe as an administrator.

Active quests:
Fighters, Flin for Elith-Pal
Bal Molagmer, Books for Vala
Hlaalu, Twin Lamps
Thieves, kill Hard-Heart
Temple, Cleaver of St. Felms
Thieves, eligible for Master Thief
Morag Tong, eligible for Grandmaster
Main, Sixth House base
Fighter, attained Warder
Mages, attained Master Wizard
Temple, attained Diciple (typo?)
Champion of Clutter
Escort to Molag Mar
Imperial Cult, attained Invoker
Morag Tong, Threads of the Webspinner
Just a little trip
Stuck Quests (started these in v59):
Helseth's Champion (Almalexia exits conversation)
Azura's quest (the one Golden Saint didn't have the ring)
Disappearance of Carius/Ritual of Wind (I probably messed these up with console commands back then, because Korst says he wants to talk about the Ristaag (which is a later quest) but there's no topic)
EEC, Catch a Thief (same here because I'm already the factor of EEC)
The Natural (he just doesn't show up again)

Load Order:
Oblivion.esm
Morrowind_ob.esm
Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp
UOPS Additional Changes.esp
UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp
Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp
DLCShiveringIsles.esp
Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp
USIPS Additional Changes.esp
DLCHorseArmor.esp
DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCOrrery.esp
DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCVileLair.esp
DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCSpellTomes.esp
DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCThievesDen.esp
DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp
Morrowind_ob.esp
Morrowind_ob - UCWUS.esp
Morrowind_ob - Conversation.esp
Morroblivion_Chargen_And_Transport_Mod_v10.esp
Morrowind_ob - Morroblivion Maps.esp
Voice Overs V002.esp
DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp
DLCFrostcrag.esp
DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp
Knights.esp
Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp
Oblivion_Character_Overhaul.esp

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

For bloodmoon quest you probably really messed up with console commands,becouse these quest are not completable without them,until I finish to debug then. East empire company quest however are completable and debugged in v61. But if you start a quest from previous version and then advanced with console commands it is possible that the game doesn't allow you to end that.

P.S What you are saying about the Ristaag can be a bug. I will invastigate it.Thanks for the report

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

What you are saying with Active Quest in a V059 Save File that don't work,, you have Quest in your Listing that have Been Corrected since V059, you Could be Creating the Save Corruption  by having these incomplete Quests, where they are Correct in V061,and Oblivion can not Save Correctly into the Save File End Result Crashing,,You Can Not  Load an Old Save into any Oblivion Game If you Have Quest Listing all Ready in for,, Quests that have Been Corrected or Altered..

Start a New Game Play up to Same Save Point you Will have a lot Less Quests Incompleted Almalexia Quest have Been Completed  ( Mournhold  Quest ) Since V059 and don't use Console Commands

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Yes, that makes sense, the thing I don't understand is that, why did the save corruption happen a few weeks later instead of right away when I tried to load that save for the first time with v61.
The fact that it loaded made me think there won't be problems I just have to ignore those quests (I know that upgrading to a new version won't fix something that's already baked in the save)

Back when I played v59 I used setstage left and right like it can fix anything, but now I have a better understanding of how things work in Oblivion and Skyrim.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Using SetStage  can Create Errors also it does not Place everything in it Correct Place for Quest,,Info is Saved in Save

Could try Cut your  Saves Out  6 or More Place them in another Directory,,load your Game and Re_save if that Works Delete the Save you Just Re_Made,, Go through your Saves  1 at a Time Till your Saves Crash..

Then Activate Each Quest 1 at a Time, Use Console and Showquesttargets.. ,,

Write Down the Quest and Targets for each Quest you Have in Your Listing when you Have done them All...

Use TES4Edit Activate Oblivion.esm\Morrowind_ob.esm,,, Activate Only these 2 go through the Quest Looking  for Quest Linking,,To suit what you have written down,, 

Linking to the Quests that have Stuffed Up in your Saves to See if this is Causing  some of the  Problems..

Could have all Amounted up all together at this 1 Point..

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Voice Overs V002.esp doesn't do anything, so you can ditch it.

Yes, that makes sense, the thing I don't understand is that, why did the save corruption happen a few weeks later instead of right away when I tried to load that save for the first time with v61.

Updating doesn't cause save corruption by itself. If it was the case, Morroblivion would've been basically unplayable.

I'm afraid I don't know what caused your problem - for all we know it could've been just bad luck - corrupt saves can happen in Oblivion, even unmodded.

Do you use any OBSE plugins?

Does the problem occur if you disable everything except Oblivion.esm, then load your affected savegame and try to save in a new slot?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

OBSE plugins: Elys_USV.dll, Elys_USV.lip, Elys_USV.mp3, obse_jail_fix.dll, obse_trainig_fix.dll

I tried loading with only Oblivion.esm and of course everything related to Morroblivion is gone but I can now save.

So that means I could restart Morroblivion from zero but with my character stats and money intact.
I think I'm okay with that(and this way my previous save won't feel wasted)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I tried loading with only Oblivion.esm and of course everything related to Morroblivion is gone but I can now save.

Now activate mods one by one starting with Morrowind_ob.esm and see which one is causing your problem.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I activated everything one by one until everything was activated and I can still save.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Did you use any UCWUS enchanted items in the save? I did and that seemed to corrupt my saves until I stop using them.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

It's possible that you were using Universal cast when used system beta4 and than updated to beta5, or greater, without clean save?

Beta 4 had a bug that made the save corrupted in certain conditions. Beta 5 fixed that

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I do remember I didn't have cast when used items in the old version and as a result I had some op constant effects.
After the update I saw those are cast when used so I unequipped those and used actual constant effect apparel.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Something similar seems to happen to me when I do the Bal Molagmer quests, any saves I make after I finish the Hlervu Locket quest are corrupt. 

Comparing my mod & quest lists to yours the only thing that stands out is I have the Thieves Guild - Kill Hard-Heart quest active when I do the Bal Molagmer quests. 

When I get around to it I will be going way back in my save history to see if I get the same corruption issue when I do the Bal Molagmer quests without having the Thieves Guild - Kill Hard-Heart quest active.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Well I went back & tried the Bal Molagmer quests before Jim gave me the Kil Hard Heart quest & the saves didn't corrupt until after I had done the Braillion's ring quest.  Any saves made after I activated that quest were corrupted & resulted in CTD when trying to load.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Alright, im just going to confirm that I had the same issue. I loaded up my latest save, played for like 10min and every time after the 10min, the game crashes when saving, resulting in corrupted saves. I loaded an older save from like... 12 hours back and im playing up to the point where I was. I don't know my load order and I don't have a copy of the save as I have changed mods and deleted the corrupted save since, thinking it was simply a ME issue and just bad luck rather then something possibly bigger. I am using the latest version of morroblivion and I did use console to get as far into bloodmoon as I could. I did use the setstage command to get through several quests, but I am somewhat familiar with the command and know to do the commands in order of quest updates. Also when I saved the game that was corrupted, I had a wild levitate spell active and I saved 3 times to move all my recent saves for that character to the top of the save list (for organization reasons). Not sure if this info helps, but to say that this issue has effected me as well I thought may be worth mentioning.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)