Skip to main content

Basic LOD Test

Submitted by Vevonus on

It works fairly well except for some odd texture wrapping on a few objects.  Includes generated LOD data for all the city *_far.nifs in addition to LOD for cathedrals.  Just download archive and extract to Skyrim's data folder with Skyblivion installed.

EDIT: Something much more in depth is being worked on by Ormin.  This was just something very basic I put together using vanilla Oblivion files and generating normals CK could use for the textures.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-Uitcc36q25bXZ0QWswWHJQRjg/edit?usp=sharing

Karma: 0 (0 votes)
Last edited by Vevonus on 8 Sep 2013 - 14:53.

How did you create lod meshes? Ormin is creating LOD objects for Skyblivion now, but we found out that "far" meshes from Oblivion mods are way too high poly.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I do not think we like it, that people not claim the things they plan to work on. It is such a waist of time to throw stuff away / or not include it at the end.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

How funny, been working since a week on LODs. What I can say though is that my LOD version has included a lot more meshes ( including the ayleid ruins forts etc ). :P It's a great release though and looking forward for more. :)

@Edit

Those are original meshes which are not really optimized for LODs. Lets say imperial city walls are over 5800 vertices ( and have collision?! why the heck LOD would need collision ) while LOD generator requires for performance reasons, that LOD0 ( nearest lod ) are up to 2048, LOD1 are up to 1024, and LOD2 ( map ones ) are up to 512 vertices. So, this release isn't that useful ( i have a fully vanilla lod optimized ready if someone wants ). Sorry :( but thanks for contributing though! :)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

 

The only meshes I created prior to CK generation were for the cathedral nif, and those were just manually made shapes in Blender to replace several objects in the full detail nif.
 
Glad to hear that there's a better version in the works!  I loved the Really AEVWD for Oblivion!  What method are you using to reduce complexity?  I tried decimate and a few poly reduction scripts in Blender and got mixed results.
 
I noticed CK complaining about excessive vertices after it generated the files from Oblivion's original LOD nifs.   I deleted the collision data from most of  them and applied transformations before generating.  I must have missed the "imperialcity" nifs.  Some would wind up at pretty strange angles otherwise!  
 
I also have 20 crash inducing meshes that I'm fixing collision on for personal use.  Should I make these available for download or is something else forthcoming?  Thanks!
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Please share anything you have.

IC architecture (mostly walls) need some love too since some of them don't cast shadows. I also noticed that collision on some of objects inside several IC shops are displaced since something blocks movement there.

Also ledges/ladders/steps need some collision tweak because the only way to get up is jumping.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I used meshlab's decimation algorithms and merging vertices ;)

About any problems regarding mesh tell me - I do know a thing or two regarding NIF format and making it work :P

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I need all of your current updated meshes first before starting to hunt down errors and issues. :)

Did you also change texture paths in all meshes to textures\tes4? I'm going to install Skyblivion again soon since there is a boost in development, and don't want to put anything directly into textures since it can affect my Skywind's packaging script.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)