Skip to main content

[WIP] Story Manager for Quests

Submitted by mrcling on
Attachment Size
StoryManager.esp 35.14 KB

I've decided to attempt to tackle using the Story Manager for all of the quests. I created a spreadsheet that shows what is marked as being Start Game Enabled based on the current Skywind master. Any of the quests that have not yet been completed are just marked as "No" by default. My intention is to convert all of the currently merged quests to using the Story Manager and try to provide guidance for people working on new quests to use the Story Manager as well. I've only recently taught myself how to do this, but that won't stop me from putting countless hours of my life into it. This effort is to reduce the amount of actively used memory when starting a new game.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvBNCINj6dJNdEN3SkgzY0pDaGlnb1RBR1NSVGN6X3c&usp=sharing

There are a certain number of quests that will always be marked Start Game Enabled for obvious reasons. These being things like MorroDefaultQuest.

Update: Added the esp file. Had to change the quest fbmwMGSharnNecro. This quest is supposed to be doable without being a member of the Mages Guild, but it had a requirement that you be a member of that faction to get the Necromancers topic. I removed the faction requirement.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)
Last edited by mrcling on 3 Jan 2014 - 12:32.

Daedric quests, wilderness/city quests can indeed be updated to that regard. The basic idea of them being start game enabled was mainly to have the dialogues available to start the game. Now that we have the basics, we can indeed optimize/get fancier :)

Faction advancement, fbmwMSGreetings (although I thik it's not really useful now), and morroDefaultQuest (as you mention) should continue being start game enabled.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I have completed converting all of the quests that are already merged and are Start Game Enabled into using the Story Manager other than Boethiah's Quest, since it doesn't appear to be done when I look at it in the CK, but maybe that is just my machine.

I have left certain things untouched, mostly any of the chargen stuff and the script placeholders (such as advancement, vampire, and were scripts).

The question now is whether or not I should convert non start game enabled quests to use the Story Manager. While time consuming, the perks of this would be that the random dialog options for some things wouldn't show up until the point that the quest is first activated. I've primarily used ChangeLocation events, which trigger irregardless of whether or not the Story Manager is being used and created some more locations to help narrow that down so entering Balmora doesn't trigger every possible Balmora quest. The biggest issue I see for this is whether or not that will trigger a quest to start on it's first entry or if I can make it just allow it to finally run in the background. For the ones that are not Start Game Enabled, I don't know that there would be a significant increase in memory efficiency, but I'm unsure exactly what kind of memory all of the various dialog options take up. It could be minimal or huge, but I'd need someone with a little more knowledge to put their input there.

I'll post the esp after I test it a bit.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

this has been merged.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)