Skip to main content

Bonemold Weapons

Submitted by TheOwlOfTrollu on

Hey guys

Was just wondering what you thought of the Bonemold bolt so far? I need to improve the textures but i would like some feedback to go off.

The original from Morrowind:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120330142306/elderscrolls/images/b/ba/BonemoldBolt.png

My early build:

http://gyazo.com/d8fac3f1aee86912301c2b8fdd606ae3

http://gyazo.com/34c5bb6d1659aa1412325ac954114885

Karma: -1 (1 votes)
Last edited by TheOwlOfTrollu on 5 Feb 2014 - 18:07.

That looks good - might make the tip look like sharpened bone instead of metal, though.

I know Morrowind only had steel and Dwemer crossbows, but why not include a bonemold crossbow as well?

Karma: -1 (1 votes)

that actually is a bone texture but it hasn't worked too well as i find it a bit bright. Yeah the crossbow sounds like a good idea :) ill make up a model and see what you guys think

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Nice!

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I like the feathers but I wouldn't waste vertices on making a notch. A crossbow bolt is going to be so small in-game that it won't make a difference. Instead, you should use more vertices to make the head look more organic. I know the texture makes it look metallic, but the silouette of the head is very symmetrical and has too many straight lines. Bonemold is organic, so add a little curvature. Also, add some fluctuation in the thickness.

It is good that you tried to stay true to the original, but we aren't as limited now as they were then. If you stray from the original models by improving upon them, the project will be much more exciting in the end.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

That would make a better arrow than a bolt. Bolts tend to be shorter, thicker, and heavier, with a narrow head and small flights or no flights at all. You may find this article helpful.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Update:

http://gyazo.com/8a2062fc401b5f1d2bbfc44616b9d78b

The shaft size has been reduced 

the head has been altered to try look more organic:

http://gyazo.com/991b0e5e02521d5cf6c42eb38bdae2c3

(not yet complete)

Notch removed and flights reduced in size

http://gyazo.com/2653e3e0a12517e682bb51b16f507d9a

 

Would also like to know if you guys would like to see a Bonemold crossbow?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

That looks a lot better. Now you just have to sell it with a good texture. Personally, I don't think that Bonemold would make a good crossbow material, and we should probably finish re-making everything that was in the original before we start adding new weapons. Thegreatgamecreator2 could probably get you on the path of your next asset after you finish this one.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Thanks :D and I have a crossbow to make for a project anyway so I'm working between both so i was looking for opinions on it because it was mentioned in the comments :) and i agree i don't particularly like the texture i have now.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Just pointing out that you can’t just pick one in game item to redo, you have to do all weapon sets of that same type. Otherwise its pointless to add it to the mod. All weapons of a set have to be made in the almost exact same style. Plus they have to match with the corresponding armor type.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I am working on the bow at the minute. I just started with the bolt because there was no crossbow for the set. So i will do the arrow after the bolt and bow 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Glad to have you here!

Do you know how to Uv map and bake textures?

Also the feathers at the end of the bolts/arrows should be flat planes with alpha'd feathers applied not modeled geometry. Keep in mind how many of the will be used in runtime.Keep in mind what the bolts are made they should look organic, like sharpened bone. We can see about getting you a concept for em.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

The concepts would be great thanks. I am going to sort out the UVs soon i am going to redo the tip though because i'm not particularly keen on it at the minute.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Quick update:

I will be making a new Bolt, Bow and Arrow very soon with an original concept as to how Bonemold should look.

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Hey guys

I decided that my first designs were to minimal, so i decided to go back and start from scratch on what i think Bonemold could become.

This is an Early Build of the bow, i will continue to tweek it depending on feedback but this is what i have at the moment.

http://gyazo.com/07ed76894ba0f55715a5e8f584b7c6b1
http://gyazo.com/06544a60dc9c1c47bcd8663322d7bc8c
http://gyazo.com/d56f92bd6d70ce0519ac0549c7c1f89e
http://gyazo.com/964152d7c0ecdedde7d419e4d8cbe640

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Long time no see Owl. The handle on that bow looks a little dwemer, but I want to mention poly count before you get too invested in that design. I'm not sure you'd be able to pull that off without bringing people's computers to a screeching halt. Check the poly counts of the Skyrim bows to get an idea of what numbers to shoot for.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I think carved_bone or glued composite_bow is better idea.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)