Skip to main content

Un-cluttering the topics list

Submitted by digitalparanoid on

Hi guys.

I'm working on something to make the topic list cleaner and shorter.

When all the work on dialogue is done, the list of topics of a NPC will basically include:

- Quest topics

- NPC specific dialogue

- lore/generic dialogue

- (various others)

Lore and Generic topics are very numerous and basically clutter the topic list, making it difficult to find quest and NPC-specific topics.

I propose to have a topic called "What do you know about..." (text is can be changed) on all NPC. This one would be the entry point for all the generic/lore topics.

A NPC topic list would look like

- MonsterXYZ

- QuestABCD target

- What do you know about...  > Argonians | Morrowind | Shortswords | ...

- Background

...

Pros:

- Reduces greatly the list of topics in the topic list

- All generic/lore topics are grouped and easy to access

Cons:

- You have to do one more click to talk about a generic/lore topics.

 

Please give feedback !

Karma: 0 (0 votes)
Last edited by grumpycat on 14 Mar 2014 - 20:58.

I'd also prefer it if some NPCs just didn't want to blab to you about whatever. It makes no sense with outlander hate that they all want to talk about EVERYTHING.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Lots of the npcs in original morrowind wouldn't talk to you unless your disposition was way up
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

In skywind, the disposition system is basically mapped with the relationship rank  http://www.creationkit.com/Relationship

Your actions/quests will modify your relationship with the NPCs and thus impact your dialogue. Your friends will tell a great lot, while your foes will just ask you to f*ck off.

That's not as precise as the disposition in morrowind but it seems a good compromise.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Admittedly, Morrowind was a bit broken in that respect anyway. You could easily just throw money at any social interaction. I like digitalparanoid's solution.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

To be honest the whole site should be remade because it doesn't look that good.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

^ lol

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Twisted Logic

Admittedly, Morrowind was a bit broken in that respect anyway. You could easily just throw money at any social interaction. I like digitalparanoid's solution.

 

I don't think you quite understand what he was saying. lol

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Probably. I was only half-thinking/paying attention when I wrote that. :P

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

it's annoying how the current site has skywind active topics but lots of the time the feed is completely over run with skyblivion things. since so many people want to work on it i think it needs it's own category of feed.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

it's annoying how the current site has skywind active topics but lots of the time the feed is completely over run with skyblivion things. since so many people want to work on it i think it needs it's own category of feed.

Lol...this is a Skywind topic about quest development and you've put in a post about forum thread management...do you see the irony in this? rofl

Simply nobody has time to organize this site, it just relies on people not filling the forums with crap...little hope in that, oh well.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

OK. considering the poll results, I guess I'll work on this ;)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

or even a new dialog UI could work. One big list on the left hand side similar to morrowind. 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

This looks great. I admit I get lost in topics in the original Morrowind. Especially in the Morag Tong questline where there's a topic for all 26 threads of the webspinner.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

ok this is mostly completed. This should be available soon. (it's not very difficult to come back to the usual display if necessary).

@drakonman: That's one thing I thought about but I must admit I have no knowledge in skyrim UI.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

any screens?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I'll post something tonight

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Thanks digital,the dialogue list was way too long in morrowind imo,great! idea.:)

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

ya it would be cool if you plays as a dunmer so other dunmer wont say outlander too much but for nord or imperial (Or even argonion or kajhit) they treat you like an outlander

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Even as a Dunmer you're an outlander. In fact, native Dunmer tend to dislike outlander Dunmer even more than other outlanders, as they don't know what it means to be a true member of their proud race.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)