Ok I have discussed this with happy and eloth before, but I'm not sure everyone agrees.
We have an issue of legality with our meshes. So many of them are from morrowind, and many from mods.
I'm sure we have or can track them on a seperate spreadsheet, but why not make things simpler by adhering to a strict code of filenames?
This has been drilled into me whilst working with Ironbelly and Guns of Icarus, we track the origin( and therefore legality) of meshes with their file name.
When files are in folders, its not needed as much, but files are often reintroduced or moved.
old morrowind files are to ignore this system and to be pruned.
Here's the structure I have been following:
(SW_)Env3D_Dwem_Rav_wall1.nif
structure:
(optional) SW=SkyWind
Env3D = Environment Mesh (ie rocks, houses)
Env3DTx = Texture applied specifically to Env Mesh (non tiling/unsuitable for landscape mesh)
Env2D = texture applied only to landscape mesh, tileable.
CH3D = Character Mesh Rigged
CH2D = texture applied specifically to that character (baked)
Weap3D = WeaponMesh
Weap3DTx = texture for weapon. (baked)
Dwem = Dwemer
AI = Ascadian Isles
Imp = Imperial
etc.
We need to confirm the codes we're already using for different vvardenfell areas.
Rav = Author.
Most important aspect, we track the origin of this file.
ie:
Elo = Eloth
Hap = Happy
Kura = Kurasaki
SilT = Silgrads Tower
BethSR = Original Skyrim model that has hardly changed.
Let me know what u think of this system, once fully developed, it should be a lot of easier to track files and, most importantly, when we leave alpha and near end of beta, when questioned on the legality of our grand mod, we have more of a leg to stand on.

All bow down before the
All bow down before the Syntax God.
We won't bother with the "SW_".
Renaming files is my forte, so I'll retrospectively alter as many that I know of. But these will mainly be models. Eloth changed most of the textures. The least I can do is filter through to see if there are any original Beth textures, but I'd say most of them will be gone.