Skip to main content

Where is Skywind.esm?

Submitted by Pendor Vengion on

I've recently attempted a download of Skywind, and whenever I attempt to run Skywind.exe, I am received with an error telling me that no skywind.esm could be found. I found no file by this name anywhere in the installation, and though I have followed all manner of instructions I have found, none of them have solved my problem- I've extracted the whole of the download into the Skyrim folder, and placed meshes and textures into data- my Skywind-Patch, Skywind.bsa and skywind.cmf files are all in the data folder as they should be. It seems as though the skywind.esm file simply does not exist. What am I doing wrong? I used 7zip to extract the files from the primary download- does it only work if I use WinRAR? I've been at this for hours, and I can find neither the file I am looking for nor any meaningful advice towards fixing this issue, which I know I am not alone in having.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Nevermind, alexanderb quite helpfully directed me to the necessary installer. yes

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Yeah, guys, maybe you will help me with this problem too? I've got just the same thing as Pendor Vengion: I did everything by instructions and found out that skywind.esm file is nowhere on my PC, neither in the installation archives nor in unpacked folders. Btw, I'm also using 7zip.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I can’t believe I am going to try and explain this!

If Skywind is not installed on your system, then there is no Skywind.ESM in the Skyrim data folder. That’s why the installer is telling you that it can't find the Skywind.ESM. The installer is just checking if you have Skywind installed or not, in order to do a full install or that you need to update a current installation.

In other words; You need to install or update Skywind!

How hard can it be to hit the install or update button?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

SB, If Skywind is not installed on a system then there will not be a skywind.esm in the data folder.

The installer is supposed to do a first time install,so why is it looking for the skywind.esm,?, it is supposed to install that file, not look for it.? 

The installer checks for a morrowind and skyrim install,but how can it find skywind.esm before it has installed it.?

 

And if the skywind.esm message is given then the "Install" button is greyed out,so how can skywind be installed,?, the installer installs the master files,so why is it looking for them before it has done it`s job.

The Assets can be installed without an installer,but are no good unless the installer installs the master files.

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Yes, exactly. I can't click the "Install" button while having both Morrowind and Skyrim installed properly and recognized by the program. I've downloaded the installer and assets just a few days ago so I think I have a right (latest) version of it. So, what am I doing wrong?
And this problem is pretty common, I suppose. 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

The installer gives 3 options (install, update, uninstall) that is why its checking for a current installation. It's not first time installation only, there where even plans to include download of the Skywind assets if the assets where not detected before installation.

Show me a screenshot, only then I can reproduce it. I debugged the installer together with Averrin. The installer is noob-proof, you can't mess up the installation or it not to work.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

But the point is that the "Install","Update" and "Uninstall" bottons are grayed out even when a valid Morrowind and Skyrim install is found,as posts by other users are proving. I know that the installer is supposed to be used after doing a first time install for updates etc,but unless it lets first time users install using the "Install" button,it has a fault somewhere that needs attention.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Show me a screenshot, only then I can reproduce it.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Avus posted:

"Yes, exactly. I can't click the "Install" button while having both Morrowind and Skyrim installed properly and recognized by the program. I've downloaded the installer and assets just a few days ago so I think I have a right (latest) version of it. So, what am I doing wrong? And this problem is pretty common, I suppose. "

I have not got skywind installed myself at this time as I am updating my main system,but if Asus and others are having problems,then I guess a screenshot from them would help,but to be frank asking for a screenshot is bit like saying they are not seeing grayed out install and other buttons.?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Yup, you are 100% correct I think there faking it, but if there is really a problem then I can only reproduce it by use of just one screenshot. It sounds silly but I really need to know how the two games are detected to set up my own system that exact same way to see the exact same result. Only then I can confirm there findings.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/827/38ub.png/

Here you are.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Thanks! Avus!, well there you go SB,both morrowind and skyrim in green and detected,but the "Install" button grayed out in the pic.?

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Your Skyrim is very outdated, just so you know.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Okay. I've been out for a bit, then I saw a new version, downloaded everything again, updated Skyrim to the latest version, got both installed and recognized. I don't know if I have an arrow in the installer or something but it's still the same problem, folks. The same greyed out button.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

where's skyrim installed?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)