Good day! I asked around yesterday how I could get information for an article on Skywind, and everyone told me that creating a thread would be the best way since everyone's on different timezones.
I saw an article on Kotaku featuring your mod and because it's such a huge undertaking, I pitched it to my SciTech editor. He wants more gaming articles on our site, so he approved it, and now I'm here.
I read the FAQs and watched some videos, but I'd rather have it explained by the people who are actually making this happen- hence the weird questions. Please feel free to answer any of them. If I use your answers in the article, I'll definitely credit you.
General Development
- Why Morrowind?
- Who were the original eight members mentioned in the developer video?
- How much did it change since more volunteers started coming in? How many people are involved in this now?
- Is it a very loose operation i.e. no hierarchies, no deadlines?
- What's the biggest challenge in producing the game?
Quests, NPCs
- Will quests be affected by the gameplay mechanics from Skyrim?
- In a video, it was said that dozens of quests have already been implemented. Does that mean they're playable, or have they merely been coded into the game?
- What other gameplay elements other than the armor system are coming back?
Concept Art, 3D Modeling (architecture, items, weapons, armors)
- Morroblivion was taken off Nexus for copyright issues, right? Does that mean that every texture made in the game is unique?
- Which programs were used in creating these objects? I didn't quite catch the name of the program used to animate the 3D models from the video.
- Are the concept art followed completely, or are they modified for software restrictions, etc.?
Landscaping and Level Design
- How much of the map has been finished?
- Were major rehauls necessary for quest-specific dungeons, given that Havok means a bigger space needs to be filled?
- What was the plan for the landscape/what were the pegs for it?
Voice Acting, Music
- Is it difficult casting for previously unvoiced characters? How did you cast each race/unique NPCs?
- Which unique instruments were used in the making of the game soundtrack?
Personal Stuff
- What made you volunteer?
- How much time are you dedicating to this project?
- Why is it important to you?
- Are you considering putting this in your portfolio?
If any of you have anything else to add, I'd like to hear it. It's going to mean a lot to TES fans and, to be honest, my career if the article turns out well. Thanks for being kind to a stranger, and more power to everyone!

Answers by Brandon Giles
Answers by Brandon Giles (SquallyDaBeanz) - Lead Landscape Designer
General Development
Q: Why Morrowind?
A: Morrowind is often referred to as the best of the Elder Scrolls games. Many people have fond memories playing it as a child, and we want to recreate that for the current generation that never had a chance to experience it. Morrowind also has a very unique and alien atmosphere that fans enjoyed, and has a vast world and compelling story/culture. We hope to capture that feeling in Skywind. We feel we owe tribute to an amazing Elder Scrolls game and hope to recreate and reimagine it with today’s technology.
Q: Who were the original eight members mentioned in the developer video?
A: I don't know the answer to this, or if it even was eight. This has always been a community effort, and people come and go all the time. Thermador runs the website and would have more information on the matter.
Q: How much did it change since more volunteers started coming in? How many people are involved in this now?
A: The project has changed drastically since more volunteers started coming in. For the first time, the project is looking like a real possibility. We've had hundreds of new volunteers come in, all contributing in different ways. We have a lot more modelers hard at work, which we were in dire need of before. The music department has also exploded with original pieces for the game's soundtrack. We have new concept artists to inspire us, landscapers to populate the world, and coding specialists to get everything working in the game, like armors and creatures. The exact number of volunteers is hard to pinpoint, but a couple hundred have helped in some way. To put it mildly, we are achieving a lot more than we were before, and great things are coming.
Q: Is it a very loose operation i.e. no hierarchies, no deadlines?
A: The project is and always has been volunteer based. While some are more dedicated than others, we don't demand a certain amount of work from our members, but we also expect a certain quality standard to be reached. Those who wish to put in the effort are the ones who produce the most quality work, often with self-imposed deadlines to keep the work flow going. Each area of the project has dedicated Team Leaders to ensure quality work and assist other members when needed. As a community, we are very open to criticism, feedback, and support. We want people to know that we are fans just like them, and all help is welcomed. If we want to remake an Elder Scrolls game, we want the Elder Scrolls community involved as much as possible!
Q: What's the biggest challenge in producing the game?
A: The biggest challenge, in my opinion, would be replacing all of the original Morrowind assets. Because Skywind started as a direct port into the Skyrim engine, we need to replace all of the original models for legal reasons. Every tree, rock, armor, weapon, structure, and creature needs to be remade in order to release the game. Again, we need all the 3D modelers we can get to help do this. On top of that, we need to get all these models into the game, and make it function right. Updating a game from 2002 to 2014 is a lot of work in almost every aspect.
Quests, NPCs
Q: Will quests be affected by the gameplay mechanics from Skyrim?
A: As much as we try to have the appropriate mechanics from Morrowind carry over to Skywind, the Skyrim engine has its limitations, but also its advantages. Quests for the most part should remain unaffected however. There will be options to disable fast travel and quest markers for those who want to experience the game like Morrowind. Perks and other dialogue options will also make a return (i.e bribe, charm, luck, etc).
Q: In a video, it was said that dozens of quests have already been implemented. Does that mean they're playable, or have they merely been coded into the game?
A: A bit of both! Most have been coded and scripted into the game, but it takes more than just that to complete a quest. NPC behaviors, dialog options, quest items, scripted events, and other mechanics still need to be finished before the quests are "playable". However, many of the more simple quests are in the game and completable already, though it would be best to wait before attempting to do any of them.
Q: What other gameplay elements other than the armor system are coming back?
A: A lot of gameplay elements are still up for debate, while many are already in the works. We are trying to bring back as many great features from Morrowind as we can, while still working them into Skyrims systems. While this is still subject to change, we have plans to bring back spell crafting, armor layers, and real mining, while also taking advantage of Skyrims systems, like smithing and alchemy using Morrowind materials. It will be the best of both worlds!
Concept Art, 3D Modeling (architecture, items, weapons, armors)
Q: Morroblivion was taken off Nexus for copyright issues, right? Does that mean that every texture made in the game is unique?
A: Yes, Skywind is a remake of Morrowind rather than a direct port. By the time the game is finished, we will have replaced every mesh and texuture with our own or those already in Skyrim.
Q: Which programs were used in creating these objects? I didn't quite catch the name of the program used to animate the 3D models from the video.
A: (3DS Max is the only one that comes to mind. I have no knowledge of modelling and it would be best to ask some of out modelers, like Ravanna.)
Q: Are the concept art followed completely, or are they modified for software restrictions, etc.?
A: Concept art is used like it should be: as a concept. They are there to inspire the modelers and level designers, and are extremely helpful to the project. While there are restrictions, especially when it comes to towns and cities, we are able to do much more than what was done in the original Morrowind. Often, the models made are almost direct replicas of the concepts, like many of our armors prove. Our concept artists have the imagination and creativity to make Skywind a truly unique experience, and with the help of Michael Kirkbride himself, we are designing Morrowind in its true glory.
Landscaping and Level Design
Q: How much of the map has been finished?
A: It's very hard to say at this point. Morrowind has a much bigger world space than Skyrim, and it will take a lot of effort to finish. There are so many parts to landscaping and each region is at a different level of completion at this point. It's difficult to give an estimate, but if we had to guess, we'd say about 1/3 is done. Sufficiently more volunteers will be needed to finish it.
Q: Were major rehauls necessary for quest-specific dungeons, given that Havok means a bigger space needs to be filled?
A: Dungeons have remained mostly untouched up to this point. However, we are working on completely new tilesets to update them. Dungeons in Morrowind were much smaller than those in Skyrim, but there were also a lot more. Small caves, mines, and tombs are almost on every corner, but hopefully with the new tilesets, we can make them sufficient enough to be explored and rewarding to the player. We will have more information once more work begins on this.
Q: What was the plan for the landscape/what were the pegs for it?
A: Given that Skywind was originally just a direct port of Morrowind, it's landscape was severely lacking in detail, especially with the updated visuals of the new engine. For this reasons, every region needs to be remade to reach Skyrims standards. While we have modelers working on new meshes to decorate the land with, we also need to reimagine areas to work with what we have. Aside from just populating areas, we are also taking creative freedom and advantage of the newer engine to make breathtaking regions. Overall, more detail is being added to truly bring the world of Morrowind to life, and dozens of landscapers are putting in the time and effort to do so.
Voice Acting, Music
Q: Is it difficult casting for previously unvoiced characters? How did you cast each race/unique NPCs?
A: Voice acting is one of the most ambitious parts of the project without a doubt. Like the rest of the project, it is entirely volunteer based. Countless people have auditioned for parts, and while not all are qualified or have the right equipment for the job, many talented actors have already started recording lines. Basically, we have a whole list of NPCs and their lines, and volunteers "try out" for the part. After, the voice acting team leaders review these recordings and decide what best fits the character. If someone has the quality voice and equipment, they are assigned to that NPC or race.
Q: Which unique instruments were used in the making of the game soundtrack?
A: (I don't have the information on specific instruments used, and most are done on programs rather than recorded. I can tell a bit about the soundtrack though) Morrowind had roughly 45 minutes of music, and for a game so large, we felt is was necessary to create an original score for the game. We've had a large influx of musicians join, each bringing a unique style and sound with them. We have specific songs for each region, as well as general exploration themes and combat suites. We also have covers and remakes of the original soundtrack in the works, with talented vocalists to enhance them.
Personal Stuff
Q: What made you volunteer?
A: I've always loved map making. Ever since I played Time Splitters, I've been obsessed with creating and playing my own and other peoples content in games. Making worlds and unfolding stories is what gaming is all about to me, and so I was hooked when I started playing the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series. When I learned about the creation kit and modding, I decided to give it a go. Being over ambitious, I worked tirelessly on my own worldspace and massive mod. Sadly, it never saw the light of day due to technical issues and lack of time/resources. However, other users content kept me occupied, but eventually it wasn't enough. To sate my landscaping craze, I looked online for projects that I could get involved with. I was curious about Skywind and decided to check it out just over a year ago. I eventually decided to give landscaping a try and couldn't stop. With a supportive community, I had finally found something I loved doing, and haven't stopped since.
Q: How much time are you dedicating to this project?
A: I have been landscaping for Skywind for over a year now, and with over 800 hours just in the Creation Kit, I plan on putting much more time in until me and the fans are satisfied with my work. I am very dedicated to the project, and it is something I wish to see finished and possibly pursue as a career in the future!
Q: Why is it important to you?
A: This project is one of the most important things in my life right now. Aside from it being a hobby, I think this mod is a huge landmark in gaming history. It's a chance to show corporations and other gamers what we are capable of. I hope that gaming companies in the future consider adding modding features and tools to their games, because if the game is all about the player, then the player should also decide what they see and experience in a game. Games are changing, and I think modding capabilities will be one of the most promising and rewarding feature that can ever be implemented.
This project has also given me a chance to be part of a great community and work hard to achieve something. It's taught me how to cooperate with others, manage my time and work, and do something I love. Watching fans come together to create something they love is truly inspiring and not a day goes by where I don’t get excited to see what others are doing for the project and watching it grow.
Q: Are you considering putting this in your portfolio?
A: Absolutely! As videogames become a more recognized art medium in this generation, I hope it will be more widely accepted in society and the work field. Businesses and other corporations will hopefully realize the dedication and work it takes to manage and work on games.
If any of you have anything else to add, I'd like to hear it. It's going to mean a lot to TES fans and, to be honest, my career if the article turns out well. Thanks for being kind to a stranger, and more power to everyone!
Skywind is one of the most ambitious undertakings ever done my modders. It really goes to show the determination and talent of the fans, and I hope to help make this project a great experience for everyone. As I mentioned before, I think the world is just starting to accept gaming as an art medium. People are moving past the notion that games are just a waste of time or for children. Games have the potential to tell stories and explore worlds that you can’t do with a book or movie. Skywind is giving me a chance to create something I have imagined and share it with others in an immersive experience. This goes way beyond just making a mod for a loved game, and instead, really shows what fans and players can do. I encourage everyone reading this to take the next step in gaming and show people what it really is. I hope this project inspires others to make the most of their gaming experience and push for a new direction in gaming.
(If there are still questions, I’d contact Eloth. If you need me to clarify anything or answer more questions, I’d be more than happy to do so. I probably have quite a few typos and other grammatical errors, so hopefully you can fix these up. Feel free to contact me any time at SquallyDaBeanz@hotmail.com. Thanks!)