[WIP/REL] Morroblivion - Silt Strider Overhaul
Morroblivion - Silt Strider Overhaul
This mod will attempt to bring more detail and diversity into Morroblivion's silt strider travel network.
* Better visual quality (100% done)
- Higher resolution silt strider textures + improved UV-maps
* Restored silt strider sounds (100% done)
- A random chance of playing one of the 5 sound effects
- Sounds have high radius, so you can usually hear strider's moans from most parts of the city
* Silt strider diversity (~45% done)
- I want to make all the silt striders in Morrowind look different from each other
- Every silt strider will have unique features, depending on its location
* Cluttered silt strider ports (~15% done)
- I thought vanilla strider ports were kinda small and empty. This mod will expand them and add some new items (mostly crates, sacks and barrels) here and there.
* Expanding the network (0% done)
- I'm thinking of adding at least 1 new strider port - most likely in Sadrith Mora.
New textures: 1 2
Seyda Neen Strider with some moss. It travels around swamps a lot, after all.
Seyda Neen Strider Port: Day Night
You can physically jump inside the cabin. Not much to do there, though.
Post your ideas!
I'm starting this topic before release specifically for this. Post any ideas about how you think different silt striders may look. Or maybe you know some good artwork?
If you are familiar with Morrowind modding, were there any mods which done similar things?
In short, anyting I can use as inspiration is more than welcomed.
You sir, amaze me.
This is awesome!
Wow, amazing work!!! I have always hoped someone with texturing skills would retexture them!
Since you asked for ways to make them unique, here are a few ideas that I could think of (obviously do whatever you want, you are the one doing it
- different moss, mud, dirt, and sand depending on where they are located
- different accessories like the saddle bags, chests, and canopies
- different colors / textures suited to their environment - in real life, one insect can have tons of different species and varieties adapted to different climates. Maybe silt striders in wet places are darker and glossy, and ones in sandy places are colored more like sand, and once in cold climates have lots of little hairs on them, who knows? That's what real insects are like anyway.
- slightly different sounds (if this is possible anyway)
Thanks! qwerty!,morroblivion is getting better and better.
I'm adding new features
Different sounds would be possible if someone provides the sounds
I do have a suggestion if i may, to improve the mod even further, you could make something like this: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=9122
Would make the Silt Striders even more immersed into the game.
Ha-ha, I'd like to see something like this myself
Unfortunately, I have no idea how to script this.
On the other hand, check this out
looking very cool (is that your character actually being able to control the silt-strider?) i must admit i always hated the silt striders as-is so this mod is gonna be a godsend
Ah well hopefully someone proficient in scripting will take the idea up be an amazing addition (unless of course you like to travel instantly, then i suppose those people would hate the idea)
Let say we turn a Silt Stider into a creature, would that be a good option.
New animal animations and an animation for mounting, and riding around.
Sounds like a easy thing to setup, no hard scripting involved.
Yes, I've created a mountable silt strider (in fact I just rigged our silt strider model to skeleton from this mod)
But there are several problems:
- Upon dismounting player falls to the ground from great height (this could be fixed by repositioning EntryPoint bone in skeleton, but still)
- The game simply isnt designed for creatures of this size. There are rocks and trees everywhere . In real life creature like silt strider would simply walk over all these objects, but in oblivion it just collides with them and can't move forward. Its manageble when silt strider is controlled by player, but AI-controlled strider will only look good in some big open space.
- When you walk in water on silt strider player begins to drown . I don't know what causes this (does anybody know which part of the mesh determines the detection of player being underwater?). Funny thing is that when you get into water deep enough for silt strider to actually swim, and not just walk in water, bug goes away.
LOL, You need to set Creature can walk on water.
I am at the moment trying to fire up 3DsMax and see it I can help with the animations.
The program is giving me a hard time at the moment, dam thing does not work.
Well, that's an option
Animations for mountable silt strider are already there, unless you mean something else
Just let me know if you need something fixed, maybe I can help you fix it.
I almost finished "base" strider model. I think I'll upload first "beta" version in a few days
What kind of annination do you have at the moment ?
All what is included in the mod I linked in post #10 - mount\dismount, movement, swimming and jumping
Pictures look good, but it would be hard (if not impossible) to make a creature use different animations on water and on land.
Don't know if silt striders are supposed to have wings or not. I never even thought about that
In The Shivering Isle is a creature that walks on land and swims in water. We could modify that into a Silt strider that walks on land and kind of walks on water.
What creature are you talking about?
Most of the creatures in Oblivion have walking and swimming animations, but swimming animations are only used when creature is actually swimming, and not walking on water. If a creature walks on water (with appropriate magic effect) regular walking animations are used instead.
About the player drowning problem,I think the reason is that when the player is on the strider,he/she is governed by the settings of the strider.
So if the striders legs go deep enough [about player hieght] then the player starts to drown.
So by making the strider a walk on water object,it should be ok.
All striders would need constant walk on water magic effects that activate when it moves.?
Well, here we go
First version features improved "base" model and textures and a unique looking silt strider in Seyda Neen.
I just downloaded the release, and my first impression is really good. The Silt Strider is looking amazing in game. I did fought you sad you turned it into a creature so we could mount it and use it to ride around.
No, rideable Silt Strider is completely separate
And here it is (requires main download for the textures)
Note that this is just the test version. You can find a free strider just outside Balmora (hard to miss, really).
Issues: The mesh isn't fully finished yet, so player legs don't touch the floor in the "cabin". Footstep are from spider daedra. Bug with water breathing still happens even if I gave silt strider water-walking ability.
Becouse of the mounting .ESP my game does no longer start.
What do you mean "no longer start"? Does it crash? If it does, when it happens?
You can try: a)reinstalling; b)loading esp last; c)deactivating everything except Morroblivion and mounting esp
Never mind that post, I got it to work again.
Oblivion does not like the other programs I have running for modding.
This type of crash usually indicates missing master. Are you sure you dont have any esps highlighted red in Wrye Bash?
Does it crash with only the following load order:
Morroblivion - Mountable Silt Strider.esp ?
Can you be more precise on where to find this wild Silt Strider, I do not see it ?
LOL, he was hiding behind the big one !
Riding around with this young Silt Strider is so dam cool. I think I will never stop using this one. It works perfect, even moving over the sea works.
To be honest, I'm not liking the wings. It just doesn't make sense that these huge, heavy creatures would have wings, they're not meant to fly. As we can see, the legs are the most dominant feature, since they're meant to walk aka "stride" not fly. Plus, their body isn't exactly streamlined. What I mean is like, if they could fly, where would their long (really long) legs go?
But that's just my artistic, subjective take on it. Others might agree with you.
NO the wings are not to make a Silt Strider FLY ! That would be hilarious. The wings are on the silt strider give it the ability to increase forward propulsion and skip (Stride) over the water with greater speed. According LORE: While the dessicated remains of Silt Striders may be found in various parts of the Ashlands, little is known of the habits of Silt Striders in the wild, as no encounters with such have been recorded. I cant find any LORE on how they supposed to move over water. All I know is that they have really long legs with which they can walk on ground and in shallow water.
NO the wings are not to make a Silt Strider FLY ! That would be hilarious. The wings are on the silt strider give it the ability to increase forward propulsion and skip (Stride) over the water with greater speed.
While the dessicated remains of Silt Striders may be found in various parts of the Ashlands, little is known of the habits of Silt Striders in the wild, as no encounters with such have been recorded.
I cant find any LORE on how they supposed to move over water. All I know is that they have really long legs with which they can walk on ground and in shallow water.
Ah ok, I see now. But eh, still not digging those wings
You need to think BIG, think about long range transportation to the providence of Skyrim.
Em... Silt Striders don't travel to Skyrim.
And as you mentioned there isn't any lore information about are they supposed to walk on water or not
Check this one out:
I've seen this video before and it is awesome
I've also seen several screenshots of concept art-based silt strider model from the video, but wasn't able to find it anywhere as a release. Which is a shame, because it looks so cool...
As I know, this video's creator is Mr. Fyr, he is member of the Andoran's team. But this is his own concept art. Not related to the Andoran.
That is definately the coolest silt strider I have ever seen.
Yeah, it almost looks like concept art.
Well, new version is up.
- Maar Gan Silt Strider (the same as in the picture 3 posts above)
Great stuff man!
This is just more textures to look at 2 total conversion we played in 2010 turned them to .rar.. Your work Quailty doesnt need to go Past what you have shown with the pictures you see here.Looks Great..
|Silt Textures.rar||1.63 MB|
Beautiful work as always qwertyasdfgh. Amazing stuff.
I would be surprised indeed if this did not make it into either the next version or the complete installation. Amazing work.
Do not know if you are still looking at siltstriders found a few more, still in .dds left readme in..
Thanks, but these textures are made for original silt strider models. They aren't of much use to me since I changed the UV layout.