Skip to main content

[OUTDATED] PyFFIed Morroblivion Mesh patches

Submitted by XJDHDR on

Name: PyFFIed Morroblivion Mesh patches
Version: 1.1.01
Category: Models and Textures
Author: XJDHDR
Source: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37360


Table of Contents:
==================
Description
Details
Requirements
Install
Incompatibility
Known issues or Bugs
History
Contacts
Credits
Tools used
Licensing/Legal


Description
===========
Meshes for Morroblivion optimised with PyFFI.


Details
=======
Morroblivion is an enormous mod for Oblivion that adds Vvardenfell and all of the content from ES3: Morrowind as a playable area to Oblivion's world. Much of the work that would be required to create a mod of this scale is saved by the use of a tool that converts the meshes, textures and ESMs from Morrowind to Oblivion format.

This upload contains patch files that will convert the original Morroblivion meshes into ones optimised with PyFFI. PyFFI modifies meshes so that they are easier for the game to render, hence improving performance and FPS.


Requirements
============
Oblivion with Shivering Isles

Morrowind with Tribunal and Bloodmoon

David Budreck's Morroblivion_ob.esm project

PyFFI v2.1.9 or later (v2.1.10 beta 1 or later preferable)
 -Used to apply the patches to the meshes. Don't worry, the beta versions are very stable.


Install
=======


The installation instructions are different for each patch archive so consult the included readme for specific installation instructions. Each readme uses the following as a general guide though:

1. Open Windows explorer or equivalent then browse to <place you installed PyFFI>\PyFFI\utilities\toaster.
2. Extract contents of archive that is going to be patched into PyFFI's "In" folder.
3. Extract the contents of the archive you downloaded from my Morroblivion patch files page into the "Patch" folder located in the location mentioned in step 1. Then double-click on "patch_recursive_apply.bat" (located in the same place as the "In" and "Patch" folders (ie location mentioned in step 1)) and wait for PyFFI to finish.
4. When it is finished, move the contents of the "Out" folder into the "In" folder and let the Out meshes overwrite any conflicts in the In folder.
5. Next, install the meshes in the In folder into your Oblivion Data folder however you prefer (manual, OBMM, BSA or BAIN).


Incompatibility
===============
Not compatible with the meshes provided with either Hashmi's or Eloth's visual overhaul mods; only use these with the meshes that David Budreck's project provides. Hashmi claims that his meshes are optional and not required though and I will see if Eloth's meshes require optimisation one of these days.


Known Issues or Bugs
====================
None known.


History
=======
1.00, 2011/02/28 - Initial release.

1.01, 2011/03/03 - Updated to support v23 of David Budreck's Morroblivion project.

1.1,  2011/05/01 - Completely changed format of patch uploads. There will now be 1 archive per download from the Morroblivion website.
         - Optimised using PyFFI v2.1.9 stable (fixes a bug with some objects having improper collision data).
         - Updated to support v30 of David Budreck's Morroblivion project.

1.1.01, 2011/05/23 - Updated to support v32 of David Budreck's Morroblivion project.


Tools Used
==========
7-Zip - http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=15579
Readme Generator - http://lhammonds.game-host.org/obmm/tools_readme_generator1.asp
PyFFI - https://github.com/amorilia/pyffi/downloads


Licensing/Legal
===============
You may do what you want with this mod. In fact, I recommend that David integrate this into his project.
 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)
Last edited by Daggers on 28 Oct 2022 - 09:53.

Nice work :)

I already applied Pyffi to the meshes for my texture pack ... but then I didn't do the distant objects.

Anyways ... can you confirm that these meshes are not causing dead NPC's to fall through the floor  ... I am getting that with my version and I *suspect* that Pyffi did that :S

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I believe that dead bodies falling through the floor is just because they are positioned to close to the ground. I don't think it would have anything to do with this mod. Where does this happen?
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

The falling-through-the-floor thing happens with more than just dead bodies - items, large and small will do it too, sometimes just by bumping them.  I too suspect it may be related to Hashmi1's retexture, but I haven't tested it to be sure. 

In this thread

http://morroblivion.com/npcs-fall-through-the-floor

I said that I had vanilla 022 installed, but that is incorrect, I also had Hasmi1's texture pack.  I will try and test it tonight when I get home from work.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

@Hashmi1

If you want to optimise the _far NIFs, you simply ask PyFFI to run the modify_makefarnif command on those meshes. Then you have to figure out which textures each mesh requires then copy those textures from textures/<path to texture>/texture.dds to textures/lowres/<path to texture>/texture.dds. Then you need to reduce the resolution of those textures. Arthmoor and myself personally shrink the textures to 25% of their original resolution.

If you want to optimise the _far NIFs without having to work with textures, the opt_cleanfarnif command does exactly the same optimisations but without modifying texture paths.But either way, these optimisations can reduce the mesh's size to at least half of original and fix some bugs with Oblivion's distant landscape. This topic pretty much covers all the benefits.

 

I haven't personally seen or heard of anything fall through the floor after using PyFFI but I am interested in what Thermador's tests reveal.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Well, my tests support the theory that it's Hashmi1's texture pack that causes this: http://morroblivion.com/npcs-fall-through-the-floor

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

thermador Well, my tests support the theory that it's Hashmi1's texture pack that causes this: http://morroblivion.com/npcs-fall-through-the-floor



As suspected ... well I guess it can be fixed by moving back to the unaltered meshes ... I originally only did that to update the tangent spaces...but I guess that can also be done in nifscope if it is necessary at all.


BTW have you tried with XJHDR's meshes? ... maybe I just messed up PYFFI's settings or something.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

What version of PyFFI did you use to optimise your meshes? I used v2.1.9 beta 2. Also, is updating the tangent spaces the only change you made to those meshes compared to vanilla?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

The latest one I could find was 2.1.8

I only "wanted" to update the tangent spaces ... but I was told it came automatically with the default optimize spell so I choose that. I don't really think I messed with any other settings ... but who knows.


Anyways its all fine if your PYFFIed meshes do not allow dead people and things to fall through ... it can overwrite my meshes and should work seamlessly with the texturepack.

 

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

After doing a bit of searching, I've found that some people have indeed complained about collision-related issues in regard to PyFFI optimisations. The mentioned scenarios have been fixed as of PyFFI v2.1.9b5 though. From what I can gather, my PyFFIed meshes should also be causing collision issues but I haven't received any bug reports yet. I think I will have to redo the mesh patches using the latest beta at some point. BTW, the latest beta versions of PyFFI are found here: https://github.com/amorilia/pyffi/downloads.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

So how much more FPS would one get using these optimized meshes? Anyone else tested this out?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Hi, its maybe a little bit lame, but what Im doing wrong if it says "system cannot find the path specified" ?

And the "my patch" from here: ......Then copy the meshes folder from my patch download.....   is RAEVWD or what? I don't understand it.

Thanks. Ciba

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

You most likely didn't copy files to the right places. I would suggest you try again and make sure you follow the documentation that comes with my patch files (and PyFFI's documentation if you get stuck).

As for your second question, the name of my upload to TESNexus and the title of this topic should answer your question.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I have just updated the opening post with details of a new version I have just uploaded.

The Mesh Patches now stand at version 1.1.01 and the update was simply to bring the patches in line with David's latest project version uploaded yesterday.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)