Skip to main content

Still crashing... oblivion.ini settings?

Submitted by Mike P on

Yep, it's me again. I've mostly gotten rid of the 0xc0000005 (insufficient memory) crashes, but I'm now consistently experiencing "exception code" 0xc00000fd crashes, specifically with "fault offset" 0x004a0a92. Over the past few hours, I've had these in areas near Balmora and Arkngthand, but wouldn't be surprised if they started turning up elsewhere as well. I've read that exception code 0xc00000fd crashes in general often have to do with mesh issues and/or creatures/NPCs getting stuck in the landscape, and I've definitely seen many instances of glitched collision with both my own character and other creatures (e.g. dead kwama foragers sinking into the ground after being killed, dreugh stuck in the sand at the bottom of the water, etc.).

Anyway, it's really getting gamebreaking, so any ideas would be as usual hugely appreciated. (My detailed specs/load order etc. are posted in the "Freeze on entering Sterdecan's farmhouse?" thread. However, I'm now running Morro version 0.60.) Thanks!

Karma: 0 (0 votes)
Last edited by Mike P on 14 Sep 2013 - 11:23.

Exactly these kind of outside cell crashes happened to me as well during my playthrough. The only sollution for me was to go around the affected cell( s ) and come back some ingame days or weeks later and everything worked again. No idea what's wrong but I think it might be a problem in the game itself that can't really be fixed. Just waiting for days with the t function didn't fix it btw I had to actually play the game for that many ingame days.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Could be corrupt spawnpoint - try going into interior and waiting for respawn perion (3 ingame days by default)

EDIT: I tried your save and wasn't able to reproduce the CTD. frown

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Thanks as always for the ideas! I created a crash dump with OBSE v21beta4 (attached), but I can't open it in Visual Studio (error: "The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800703EE)"). I doubt I'd know what to do with it even if I could open it, so if possible, would someone else mind taking a look?

Also, since it seems these crashes may be caused by corrupt spawns (I've seen many creatures stuck in rocks/landscape, slaughterfish spawning outside water, etc.), and I don't seem to be the only one with this issue, will these spawn problems be fixed in a future Morroblivion update? I assume since the issues are occurring in Vvardenfell, it's a mod problem, and not a vanilla Oblivion problem.

Attachment Size
OBSECrashDump.rar (external) 81 bytes

Attachments

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

(I've seen many creatures stuck in rocks/landscape, slaughterfish spawning outside water, etc.)

These are not 'corrupt' spawnpoints, but badly placed spawns or pathgrid nodes. And yes, this can be fixed if you report exact locations.

Corrupt spawnpoints are errors on engine level and they can occur with both vanilla and mod-added spawns. More info can be found here. Fortunately, these are quite rare.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Sorry Mike P but for the crashdump file seem that obse cannot create correctly the crashdump in case of crash dued to corrupted spawnpoints(I don't know if this is applicable to all crash with the 0xc00000fd exception code(reported as "Unknow exception"). I issued a bug report on the obse topic, if you want you can issue anothe one too.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I tried installing v60 last night and am having a bit of a problem - seems to be on oblivion's side not morrowind's. For some reason, it just keeps crashing the game.

I'm not sure that mine is related or not to ini settings at this time.

Install Steps:
I install the original oblivion vanilla game including SI,
then the official patches for oblivion and SI both,
then I install the unofficial patch for oblivion,
then I start the morroblivion install (doing the v60 installer first then the v60 complete and adding Ely's OBSE Silent Voice.)

I am using wyre bash as suggested to install morroblivion.

After that I launch morroblivion using either the oblivion launcher or the obse launcher, and in both cases it's crashed several times - immediately upon launching the game and a couple times (only) I was able to launch a save and it's crashed immediately upon launching a save.

I ran v59 just fine this way for a few months now, but is there something I'm doing wrong with the install? I'm not sure..

If anyone can help with suggestions I'd appreciate it. Kinda need this to work so I can work on modding Tri for y'all. :)

I'll check back tomorrow. Have a good one everyone!

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Post your load order.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Where his Save is just Below Saturan went there in My Game V060 No Problems Ran All Over the Place. No Crashes,,,,

Had to Run OAF.exe Over his Save to Get his Save to Load...Other than running oaf.exe His Save Just Crashed to Desktop..

First time i Loaded Walked Down the Rise  it Crashed..Reloaded now Before going of the Rise Killed 1 Cliff Racer 1 Rat 1 Guar,, Then went Down the Rise Ran Around NO Crashes..

The Corrupt Spawn Points are Comming  from Something Within His Game Going By 3 Cliff Racers in 1 House All With the Same Number

The Game Doesn't Place Critters in The Game Without Some Thing Telling it to Random Generate them in These Positions.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

UPDATE - CLOSER TO A SOLUTION!: I'd still appreciate any answers to the questions in my original post below, but I've had a breakthrough - purging cell buffers (either through the console "pcb" command or Streamline's Streampurge function) before crossing the cell border that would otherwise cause a exception code 0xc00000fd/fault offset 0x004a0a92 CTD solves the problem. I'm now thinking people not experiencing these crashes may just be avoiding them due to the use of mods that frequently purge buffers. Anyway, of course I now have more questions:

1) Does anyone have a recommendation as to how best (and most safely) automate this process? I was using the "Purge Cell Buffers" mod to purge at every cell for a time, but some folks don't seem to like it - is that just because it "cleans" actors and items in every cell more frequently than the standard 3-day respawn cycle, causing people to miss out on items left lying around? I'm already using Streamline's Steampurge function with the default settings. 
2) Do purging cell buffers and the 3-day cell respawn cycle have identical in-game effects?
3) I found this in the documentation from Kuertee's Clean Up mod: "Remember that normally, actors will be removed by the game when the cell they are in is reset. Only actors that were corrupted will never be removed by the game." Since my crashes are apparently fixed when I either reset the cell by waiting 72 hours or purge cell buffers (again, I'm not sure whether these two processes have identical results), this indicates the crashes aren't being caused by corrupted actor spawns, as these would never be reset, right?

ORIGINAL POST: Brainslasher/Ilde/qwerty/roxon - huge thanks for your continued help. Unfortunately, it looks like nobody knows how to fix these exception code 0xc00000fd/fault offset 0x004a0a92 crashes Brainslasher and I are having. In my case, there's no save bloating, no a-bomb issue, none of my non-Morroblivion mods have anything to do with spawning (you'll see from my earlier post they're all UI mods, map mods, the Character Overhaul, and OSR/Streamline), and other than that weird cliffracer issue I had - and considering qwerty and roxon couldn't reproduce the recent crash using my save - there doesn't seem to be save corruption.

But to make sure I understand the whole spawn issue, it'd really help if someone could confirm/edit the below facts. Also, I've been assuming these crashes have to do with corrupt spawns only because I first noticed some "badly placed" spawns and thought they were "corrupt" (not knowing the difference at the time), and because many forum posts link corrupt spawns with CTDs while crossing from one outdoor cell to another. That said, are there any other common causes of such crashes?

"BADLY PLACED" SPAWNS/PATHGRID NODES:
-Result in actors spawning in strange locations (e.g. fish outside water) and/or within landscape/rocks
-Do not cause CTDs (???)
-Do not cause (permanent) save file corruption (???)
-Can be fixed if spawn location is known

"CORRUPT" SPAWNS:
-Result in actors... (???)
-Cause CTDs
-Do not cause (permanent) save file corruption, but may be a symptom of corruption (???)
-Cannot be fixed (???)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I'm now thinking people not experiencing these crashes may just be avoiding them due to the use of mods that frequently purge buffers.

I'm not using any pcb mods.

Do purging cell buffers and the 3-day cell respawn cycle have identical in-game effects?

No. They do entirely different things. PCB does only what it's supposed to - purges cell buffers.
Example: when you go from one (interior) cell to another you get a standard loading screen, but if you decide to immediately go back to previous cell the transition will be instant - because the original cell is still in memory. Now if you type 'pcb' in console before going back you'll get a full loading screen, even though you were in that cell just a second ago.

I found this in the documentation from Kuertee's Clean Up mod: "Remember that normally, actors will be removed by the game when the cell they are in is reset. Only actors that were corrupted will never be removed by the game."

Kuertee is talking about different type of 'corruption' here - dead actors which aren't properly despawned after 3 days, therefore preventing their spawnpoint from generating new actors. This is not the same error we were talking about and it doesn't cause crashes.

"BADLY PLACED" SPAWNS/PATHGRID NODES:

-Result in actors spawning in strange locations (e.g. fish outside water) and/or within landscape/rocks
-Do not cause CTDs (???)
-Do not cause (permanent) save file corruption (???)
-Can be fixed if spawn location is known

Yeah, pretty much this.

"CORRUPT" SPAWNS:

-Result in actors... (???)
-Cause CTDs
-Do not cause (permanent) save file corruption, but may be a symptom of corruption (???)
-Cannot be fixed (???)

The cause of corrupted spawnpoints is unknown - it can happen even with vanilla spawns sometimes.
And they can be fixed as mentioned above - by going into interior cell and waiting for respawn time, allowing the game to naturally 'refresh' bad spawnpoint.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Thanks, qwerty! So from your explanation, it doesn't seem the crashes have anything to do with corrupt spawns (as I can "fix" the issue with either a PCB or a cell respawn/reset). But at least I know PCB is doing something to clean things up and prevent them. I understand the "Loading" version of the PCB mod has similar problems to other mods that force operations during loading screens, but the "Cell Change" version recommended by others on the forum is working great. Cheers!

Karma: 0 (0 votes)