Skip to main content

[OUTDATED] We need voice acting for skywind.

Submitted by ironman12345 on

.

THIS THREAD IS OUTDATED PLEASE GO HERE:

 

http://morroblivion.com/forums/skywind/skywind-development/3022

 

.

.

.

I have quoted a Pm that was sent to me by Khar`lor regarding voice acting,and think that we should be considering getting some voices done for Skywind like suggested.?

quote:

Hi,
I know your a diff department but you seem connected to who may know where or what's going on with the voices. These need to be done. I just don't have the tech side of this down. I'm willing to work hard on the voices and get them done. I have the actors and the equipment. I need a tech guy to get me the scripts. Then take the recordings and make them work with the actual game. With all the bad ass stuff going down for skywind it needs voices too or its going to fall short even with its sweet graphics and everything. Spread the wordd around see if you can figure out what's going on, what's been done. Idk I've tried but can't get anywhere. If you could help or get in touch with some one who can that would be great. I have myself, my friend, and if it goes good I could recruit many others if need be. This is what I'm offering but I can't get there alone. I'm not a tech guy. If you can get a tech guy to help me out I can facilitate the rest of the voices.

............................................

Can anyone involved in the voice acting for morroblivion and/or skywind help with this please.?

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)
Last edited by grumpycat on 8 Dec 2013 - 19:18.

@Thermador:
I get a Con-Set crash when exporting those quests. After the crash there is no information in the export file. The file I send you with the missing dialogue does contain those lines, but only the text and file names. I hope someone gets all the needed information out of Morroblivion.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Ok that's what I figured. There are 6000+ lines of dialogue in MorroDefaultQuest. The CS and egg translator don't like to export dialogue that applies to more than one npc. That is why the egg translator only exports 21000 lines - they are all the lines that have just one speaker. I managed to get tesgecko to export dialogue, but it's no different from the CS's simplified method. I got a lot of work done on this last night, just missing those quests. Can anyone else try to export them as I described above?
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I just tried the Con-Set-Extender and same result, Fail to export.
Maybe ShadeMe could fix this bug, so the Con-Set-Extender can pull it off.
Its just an idea!

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I think if we make a mod that creates generic NPCs (like 0genericDarkElfMale) and then assigns all of the generic, multi-npc dialogue to that NPC, we can maybe get an export. I dunno. I will look into it. This is why the 'voice type' system used in skyrim, fallout 3 and fallout NV is so much easier.

Edit: Hmm.  From looking at the dialogue that is missing, the reason the CS didn't export it is because Oblivion requires a race and a gender for file paths.  So for example,

Data\Sound\Voice\Morrowind_ob.esm\High Elf\M\fbmwA1Dreams_1disturbingSdreams_00320C0D_1.mp3

The exports seem to crash (or if you're lucky, ignore the lines) if you are exporting INFO's that don't have BOTH a race and a gender assigned to them.  So the task would be to assign a race and gender to some INFOs (the responses) and see if that fixes the crashes.  I will report back and see if this works.

Edit2: Nope, that's not it.  There are some INFO's that have NPC's defined for them that also fail to export - so it's not just the ones that apply to multiple NPCs.  I can't find any pattern to this crash so far...

Edit3: Something is very troubling about all this.  The different ways of exporting dialogue give very different results.  INFO = npc's response to the player character.  DIAL = what the player asks them.

  • Egg translator: only exports dialogue that has an NPC assigned to it.  Result: 21,335 INFOs, but with good data on the NPCs, the INFO, and the associated DIAL with that INFO. 

    However, the tool seems to skip certain INFOs for unknown reasons.  It seems that it skips anything that isn't directly assigned to an NPC but there are also dialog lines that it skips that are assigned to just one NPC - some of the Dagoth Ur lines for example.

  • CS: File -> Export Dialogue
    Exports a abbreviated dialogue list of all INFOs. 29,735 INFOs total.  (Just the Morrowind_ob.esm ones).  Doesn't provide info for which NPC is saying it.  Just quest, topic name, topic ID, and the INFO text. 

    Luckily, the associated DIAL can be looked up in one of the Wrye Bash "export names" files, but there is no easy way to look up what NPC is saying it (except by looking up the INFO formID in a better quality export, such as the one below:

  • CS: Quest Panel -> Export Quest Dialogue
    Most quests work, but some crash the CS.  It appears that this option exports all INFOs EVEN IF no NPCs actually say these INFOs.  For example, if an INFO has a condition that makes all NPC's with the class "Jerk" say it, but there aren't any NPC's assigned to the "Jerk" class, it will still export this INFO anyway. 

    So even though I only exported 167 of the 493 quests in Morrowind_ob.esm, I already have 28,530 lines!  This is almost as many lines as the previous export type (29,735), but I've only exported 34% of the quests!  Extrapolating, if you exported every quest using this method, you'd have about 90,000 lines of dialogue!

  • CS: Character Menu -> Export Dialogue
    Crashes for me.  Should give same results as "Export Quest Dialogue" but for all quests.
  • Tes4Gecko: gives a similar output as CS: File -> Export dialogue.  Complete, but not very helpful.  Creates a file with exactly 29,700 lines of dialogue.  Close enough to the same as the CS:File->Export results (29,735).
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I am proberly totally losing the plot,but in the oblivion CS [version 2.x] you could make voice files and lip sync files.?

Has the CK got any functions that can be used to input sound [from mic or file] directly into the CK for inserting into the game.?

If it is possible,could the voices be added to each NPC etc after we have got the NPC`s into the game.

Or is the CK actually out of date compared to the CS.?

It seems unreasonable for Beth to release a CK that can`t handle voice input/output,because it is an important part of producing mods.?

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

You can create LIP files in the Skyrim CK.  Here's a video on that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TobpP1BMQo8

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Thanks thermador,but is there any way to get the actual voice [sound] directly into the CK,like an audio editing program does.?

A bit like adding adding audio to a silent movie.?

It is the 21st century,so from my seat it should be as easy as:

Get the character on screen in the CK,with dialogue showing.

Speak [voice act] into a mic,that sound should then be linked to the character and a key press to save.

LIP sync should then be added to the sound file later or during the process.

But is this just dreaming.?

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

@Thermador:

I know exactly how you feel buddy. When I was working on the computer generated dialogue project I encountered all the same issues as you are facing at the moment. Even I had to accept that it was impossible to get a good export containing NPC data and dialogue data. You did manage to compile a very useful database of dialogue information for us to use. I do hope you come up with a method of extracting 100% of the dialogue info from Morroblivion.

 

@Ironman12345:

Recording voice files directly into the Con-Set or Creation-Kit is not a very good way to do it. The Con-Set and Creation-Kit are not professional recording tools, but if the option is available then it should work to some extent. If the NPC’s and there dialogue lines have been entered into the Con-Set adding the voice files + lip-sync is very easy. The Creation-Kit is quite similar so its just hitting a few buttons and your set.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

SB,would it make any difference if the actual sound was routed through good quilty sound devices during the recording.?

And if not could the sound files be cleaned up in pro audio tools after the process,?,I quess I was just trying to think of a way to quicken up the process.:)

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Here is the "final" version of my dialogue spreadsheet.

This includes:

  • all dialogue that is unique to one NPC - 22,084 lines
  • a very fancy filtering system that automatically creates UESP links for NPCs and Quests (if you use those filters)

There is some missing dialogue:

Generic dialogue that applies to more than one NPC, is difficult to extract from the construction set (although it can be done with Quest -> Export Quest Dialogue) and yield results that are useful.  If you want to do it manually in the CS, you can use the filtered dialogue tool and check the results from the CS against the spreadsheet and see if you're missing anything important.

If, at some point, all of that dialogue gets good voice acting, then maybe we can figure out how to handle all of the multi-NPC lines.  Those 7,928 lines are on a separate page, but there just isn't good data on WHAT lines would need to be recorded - what races and what genders for each line - for each of these lines.  For example, those 7,928 lines could turn out to be A LOT more actual lines of recording, depending on how many different versions of each line need to be recorded to cover the races and sexes.

Use the drop-down green boxes to filter the dialogue by NPC, Quest, etc.

 

Attachments

Karma: 0 (0 votes)