Skip to main content

[BETA] Lost Magic (OBME-based Addon)

Submitted by qwertyasdfgh on
Attachment Size
Version 0.7 55.07 KB

This addon will restore most magic effect that were present in Morrowind, but were removed in Oblivion.
Note that some of them are already available in Morroblivion, but only as scripted spells. This addon, with the power of OBME, will restore them as new base effects, which will allow using them in spellmaking, enchanting and alchemy.

List of effects:

College of Alteration:

  • Jump - Done. Low/medium spell cost.
  • Levitate -  Done. High spell cost. 
  • Lock
  • Slowfall - Done. Low/medium spell cost.
  • Swift Swim - Done.


College of Conjuration:

  • Bound Spear - Done.
  • Call Bear
  • Call Wolf
  • Summon Ancestral Ghost - Done.
  • Summon Bonelord - Done.
  • Summon Bonewalker - Done.
  • Summon Bonewolf
  • Summon Centurion Sphere - Done.
  • Summon Fabricant
  • Summon Greater Bonewalker - Done.
  • Summon Winged Twilight - Done.


College of Destruction:

  • Corprus - only used once for entire game, so I don't see much point in including it.
  • Poison - Done.


College of Illusion:

  • Blind - Not sure how to implement this on NPCs. Decreasing combat skills?
  • Sanctuary - I want to make this one the same as Morrowind's - a % chance of avoiding all damage from a melee attack.
  • Sound - Decreasing spell effectiveness?


College of Mysticism:

  • Almsivi\Divine Interventions
  • Detect Enchantment - Done.
  • Detect Key
  • Mark\Recall


College of Restoration:

  • Cure\Resist Blight\Corprus Disease - A separate mod is now released.
  • Fortify Attack - Done. Effect provides static boost to damage dealt with any melee weapon (but not H2H).

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)
Last edited by Daggers on 26 Dec 2021 - 15:39.

??? How did you make levatatation. I've been trying to make that for a long time now. as for mark/recall I have somthing like that but it still some bugs.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Levitation is part of main esm since v049
Mark and Recall probably longer 
You can lookup scripts in CS, I didn't write them :)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I'm sure Sanctuary is exactly the same as Fortify Agility. You can even see the increased Agility in white font whenever there is a Sanctuary effect going on. You are right about Sound, Blind and Fortify Attack. I feel that these are the best options.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Hmm, but agility doen't work the same way in Oblivion as it worked in Morrowind. We'll need something else to mimic the ability to dodge attacks.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Hey, that sounds really great :)

qwertyasdfgh

Blind - Not sure how to implement this on NPCs. Decreasing combat skills?

Would be suitable.

qwertyasdfgh

Sound - Decreasing spell effectiveness?

Would also be suitable. Maybe lower willpower additionally?

qwertyasdfgh

Sanctuary - Doesn't make much sense with Oblivion's combat system. Any ideas?

Difficult. Maybe increase block skill?

Are you going to add the new effects to ingredients?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll think about it.

Eazzy

Are you going to add the new effects to ingredients?

Yes. (where they were originally)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I vote that once you've finished this addon it be merged into the main file. This is absolutely fantastic!

As always, great work qwertyasdfgh!

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Isn't Lock already available but Bethesda said "Do not use?"
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Ice, thanks, but I don't think that making OBME a requirement for main esm will be popular, cause it can sometimes cause crashes on loading savegames made without it.

EnvyDeveloper, yes, it's aviable, but this "DO NOT USE" thing is there for a reason. I recall reading somewhere that this effect is bugged, so I think it's safer to just create a new one.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Yeah, the wiki says this about the oblivion lock: "After some testing, it seems to work most of the time. Both interior doors and exterior doors were tested. Some doors do not seem to be lockable, and you cannot cast it on something that is already locked. If you lock an interior door that is already opened, it will say it's locked, but can still be closed normally, after which it will no longer be locked. Casting it does not seem to be a crime, though if you cast it on a door which is "owned" by somebody, then picking the lock will be a crime. Casting on containers seems to work every time, even on containers that aren't generally found locked in the game, such as sacks or lecterns. It's likely that one reason this spell was removed from the game was that it would confuse the AI of the characters if a door they were expecting to be able to go through was now locked. For example, if you manage to lock a pursuer in a room, anyone who comes to your aid will run towards the door and flicker back and forth. Also, if you run into another cell, they will still follow you even though they are locked in. Another is that it could be possible for the player-character to lock him/herself, with no lockpicks or Open spell, in an area prohibiting fast travel, thus trapping themselves forever." The last point is very important to consider. Any ideas? Though in morrowind, I did try to lock ordinators in prison cells but they always unlocked the doors when chasing after me. Maybe this could be replicated?
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I'd say, if you can't lock your enemies, what's the point of lock spells at all? :)

Another question: do you think summoned creatures should have fixed level or be levelled within certain range?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Hmm, true. It was weird that enemies could auto open doors, even if their lock level was 500. :S I think just adapt Oblivion's summoning system with all of those creatures? I can't really say because I always assumed that their levels were fixed. :)
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I'll just leave summoned creatures stats the same as regular ones.

BTW, Conjuration is almost done.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Preview of new spell icons used in the mod:

[External image]

 

And the first beta version: Download

Notes:
- Obliously, OBME is required. Get it from Nexus (link in first post)
- It's best to load this after Bashed Patch, since Bash can get confused by altered esp structure
- If you want to test new features immediately type in console "startquest mwlostmagictest".
This'll set your intelligence and all magic skills to 100 and add spells with all the new effects - Slowfall, Levitate, Swift Swim and Summons. It'll also add 20 Scrolls of Windwalker, which grant you 500 pt. Levitation. Just try it :)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

just tried them, i especially love the summon winged twilight spell, very good job! :)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Awesome mod and everything works great, except it causes my game to crash upon entering the Balmora Mages Guild when it's activated.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Are you certain about that? Cause it doen't alter anything in that cell and I play with it activated all the time and visited Balmora Mages Guild multiple times.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I'm positive. I tried entering the Mages Guild 5 times with the mod activated and my game crashed every time. I also made a save inside and tried loading it up and the second it got done loading it crashed. I then booted the game up without it and it worked perfectly fine. 

Next time I play I'll reinstall the mod and try it again.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

That's weird. Try waiting for cell respawn period (3 days by default)
Also try loading with just this mod and nothing more (well, apart from Morroblivion master)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I tried both of those and it still crashes when I enter the Balmora Mages Guild. 

Too weird...

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Does it crash if you start a new game?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Nope. I just started a new game with your mod activated and went straight to the Balmora Mages Guild and it didn't crash.

I'm going to try dropping all my items on my main character file and try walking in again.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Accidentally locking yourself in would be a problem indeed. Maybe the lock spell could only be used if you had an (castable at your full magicka not taking into account buffs, but taking into account anything lowering it) unlock scroll or spell of equivalent or greater strength (or intervention spell/scroll). This would have three problems: being able to lock yourself in while holding unlock scroll[s], then wasting them and getting stuck, not being able to cast lock even though your magicka is buffed just enough to where you can cast a high enough unlock, and possibly getting magicka lowered after locking yourself in.

However, everyone has the console and you can just click on a door and use the unlock command. It might be a bit immersion-breaking, but then just pretend your character never got locked in where they would starve to death because they foolishly locked the door behind them without unlocking abilities in the first place. Or you could just go back to the most recent save before locking yourself in. 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

@Nebbie That's why it was removed. Mark, Recall, Intervention, Jump, Levitate and Lock could break quests. But I don't see why Slowfall and Swift Swim were removed. Oh well...
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

They didn't break quests in Morrowind. Makes you think, maybe the problem is not with spells...

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

But in oblivion, you get some quests where you get stuck in another world of some sort. Using Mark or Recall could break these quests. That's why you see the Lost Magic mods warning you to use the new spell effects with caution.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Hi qwerty, i know you said it was best not to try to merge this mod (learned the hard way first lol) but if i really wanted to, is there any way i could? Not really important, so if the answers still no, just ignore the question lol. 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

What do you want to merge it with?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I was trying to merge it with the bashed patch. I get an error, as I probs would have known if I'd read your comments on the mod a bit better. I was just wanting to do it for convenience, but if its to much trouble or if its just a bad idea all around, no worries, its understandable, and definitely a great addition to Morroblivion

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I was trying to merge it with the bashed patch.

You can't. And it's not because of OBME or anything, this is simply not the kind of mod that can be merged by Wrye Bash automatically.

In short, Bash can only merge mods that change existing game records. If a mod adds something new (for example, this one adds new scripts for spell effects) it can't be merged.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Update: v.0.6

Changelog:
- New effects: Jump, Poison and Detect Enchantment.
- Esp updated for v060 master.

Download from first post.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

snanctuary could decrease damage taken.... like adding a new armor spell? i don't know..... best i got.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Update: Version 0.6.1

This is a small update to fix a couple of minor bugs, reintroduce levitation effects to ingredients and to carry over levitation restrictions introduced in v062 of the master.

Download from the first post.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Update: Version 0.7

This version introduces Fortify Attack effect.
I had to change the effect to work with Oblivion's combat system - now it provides a static bonus to damage dealt with any weapon (except fists). This bonus will not be displayed in your inventory (where weapon damage is shown), but it will work nevertheless.

Download from the first post.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I installed the plugin with Wryne Bash and I had some serious problems. My last save stopped working and I get a crush every 20 min. As I deactivated the plugin everything became ok again. 

Are there any known compatibility problems with this plugin ? 

Do you have to start a new game for it ? Or does the plugin require a special load order ?

Mods I'm  using :

  1. Phinix master summon
  2. Tree Replacer
  3. Clothing Galore
  4. Spell Failure Chance DV
  5. StolemItemOwnership
  6. Better Water Morroblivion
  7. Chargen and Transport 
  8. stfsummonspells

 

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Ok, I realised how f****** stupid my question was. So I downloaded OBME from nexus. And I have to admit, that the whole thing is a little too hard for me. I "installed" the OBME, how the readme file told me, which simply was through copying the Oblivion folder from the rar archive into my oblivion installation folder. And what next ? The readme tells me, that the mod "activates" himself, but what with the lost magick plugin ? How can I activate him ? Certainly not through Wrye Bash...

Sorry for bothering you, I just want to have those spells working.  

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

OBME.dll should be in Data\obse\plugins folder. It doesn't have an esp.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you're asking.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Please forgive me then, my English language abilities are not optimal yet [External image]

So.. the OBME.dll file you mentioned is in the right place. But I still don't know, how to activate your "lost magic" plugin. I downloaded the files you uploaded, but I don't know what to do with them, since I can't install them with Wrye Bash. Due to the fact, that Wrye Bash underlines Oblivion.esm with a red stripe, as I try to mark the Morrowind_ob - Lost Magic OBME.esp file.  

I just have no clue, how to install your mod xD. 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

The red stripe means that the two files have the same date. The load order of Oblivion is based on file dates. Just edit the date of one file with Wrye Bash (simply add a second) and the red stripe will be gone. If this doesn't work make a screenshot.

I recommend you use a tool like LOOT in order to optimize your load order.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Lost Magic is installed like any other mod - put all its files in to Oblivion\Data and activate the esp.

It's rather strange that it'll highlight Oblivion.esm in red, but Bjorn is correct - you need to sort your load order. The fastest way to do it is BOSS\LOOT.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I DID IT ! IT WORKS ! MUHAAHAH ! 

Ok, but seriously thanks for the support mates. The mod is great, love the new icons xD. I'm deeply thankful to qwertyasdfgh and Bjorn. 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Per the Wrye Bash description text do I still need OBME_CS.dll installed?  If so where can I get it?  I installed the plugin but don't see the dll file anywhere.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Per the Wrye Bash description text do I still need OBME_CS.dll installed? If so where can I get it? I installed the plugin but don't see the dll file anywhere.

OBME_CS.dll comes with OBME. It's needed if you want to edit OBME mods in CS.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I can confirm this mod suffers from the same crash as its progenitor. For whatever reason, sadly, this mod causes crashes when attempting to buy spells in the Balmora Mages Guild.

 

EDIT: Lol, idiot alert here. I didn't have the OBME dll's installed. I expect this to be the cause of most people's crashes regarding this.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I am speechless with wonder at Morroblivion. Thank you all.   A note and request re. Lost Magic:   1. The lost spells do not appear to get added to the makable/enchantable spells list, for existing characters from Cyrodiil transported to Morrowind, when buying them in Vvardenfell. I had to add them using the startquest tester.   2. The constant effect slowfall enchantment is set at 7pts. Can I change this in a config file to 1pt? If not would you please provide a 1pt slowfall constant effect enchantment esp (or whatever gets changed to do that).   Thank you.

Edit: Ignore point 2. I have dealt with it. Thanks again for such quality work on what appears to be a large project.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

1. The lost spells do not appear to get added to the makable/enchantable spells list, for existing characters from Cyrodiil transported to Morrowind, when buying them in Vvardenfell. I had to add them using the startquest tester.

This can happen if you bought the spells before installing the mod.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Nope no spells were bought before the mod was installed. The mod was also installed before I moved to Morrowind for the first time, and got the Azura speech etc.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Is this compatible with v0.64 ?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Announcement

This mod in it's current form will not receive any more updates from me. Please consider it "public domain" and fell free to change/update it as you wish.

The reason for the above is that I'm actually redoing whole thing from scratch, with different esp name. This redone version will not be standalone, but based upon Av Latta Magicka and will require it.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)