Skip to main content

Skywind coverage round up

Submitted by digitalparanoid on

Hi guys,

I've seen this article (in French) today in my google news alert for Skyrim :

http://www.journaldugamer.com/2012/09/20/skyrim-morrowind-mod-skywind/

Maybe we can use this thread to list articles talking about Skywind ?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)
Last edited by grumpycat on 14 Mar 2014 - 22:53.

Featured in PCGamer - looks like its going around the web now =)

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/20/skywind-mod-aims-to-bring-morrowind-to-the-skyrim-engine/

I think its because of my reddit post that reached the front page with 200+ upvotes, since a lot of game journalists lurk there for material to grab. Not trying to sound arrogant or anything, but its most likely the cause

Hopefully this gathers a lot more attention to Skywind, and maybe some  decent modders too =)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/105fhr/skywind_the_resurrection_of_morrowind_with/

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Haha thats really cool, but I was just wondering that with all this attention its getting will bethesda not get pissed and try like shut us down? :O

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

They already know about us anyway. I bet they browser our forums every few months.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

^ Our pace is too slow to require them to browse our forums that often =p

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I'd go with more like every other day.... (at least now that we are getting all these articles).  Yeah, I feel a bit uneasy, but I also feel like nothing bad could happen because of it.  I'm actually excited to see who will show up to help or try the project out now.

(Yeah, and I've kind of been lurking for the last while too, there is too much going on in real life at the moment)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Mehh

They already know about us anyway. I bet they browser our forums every few months.

Yes, but if it's just a few developers, they can easily ignore us. If we get this kind of coverage, the Zenimax legal machine may feel obligated to take action.

Let's not forget about Zenimax's little tussle with Notch over the use of the word "Scrolls."

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Mooncat

Mehh

They already know about us anyway. I bet they browser our forums every few months.

Yes, but if it's just a few developers, they can easily ignore us. If we get this kind of coverage, the Zenimax legal machine may feel obligated to take action.

Let's not forget about Zenimax's little tussle with Notch over the use of the word "Scrolls."


Didn't the second Morroblivion get a huge amount of coverage too?
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Holy........  248????????  I think the max I have ever seen was 60.....

True Mooncat, but you also have to remember that we are a non-profit group, and this project will in every likelyhood give Zenimax MORE money.  Though I guess that more money point didn't work out for Morroblivion.

Oh, and it seems that most of the articles are misrepresenting Eloth as the leader of the project.  I mean he is doing AWESOME work, and his title is Project Lead, but they should have made it sound more like a group effort in my opinion.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Shadow
Oh, and it seems that most of the articles are misrepresenting Eloth as the leader of the project.  I mean he is doing AWESOME work, and his title is Project Lead, but they should have made it sound more like a group effort in my opinion.


Nobody will know we ever did anything ;_;...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-20-skywind-morrowind-recreated-in-skyrim-by-a-fan
Oh wow, my shitty video actually got linked. If I knew that would happen, I would have spent more than 5 minutes making it, and would have put more effort into it! lols
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I, too, feel a bit uneasy about this publicity, and never mention morroblivion/skywind if I post on the official forums or skyrim nexus (which if I remember correctly was the recommanded approach back in the days).

Now, these articles are out there, so it's interesting for us to know about them.

 

Now, and that's just my two cents : Bethesda has been aware of morroblivion for ages. I doubt they would be absolutely surprised by this initiative. So probably their feeling wouldn't change. If I even want to be optimistic, I would say that now that some gaming websites talked about us, should something happen, they will probably report it also and that would be bad publicity. Just my thoughts. (I'm not advocating for more publicity by saying so).

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Well, when we actually finished up the project, we would have gotten this amount of recognition anyway. I'd rather get shut down now than later in the project.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

hmmm, maybe we should focus on using as little morrowind content(meshes, textures) as possible, perhaps

avoid them completely, to avoid getting into trouble. Most meshes have already been made from scratch by the

vvardenfell mod team for oblivion, that total conversion was never finished, and it died out some years ago.

Or perhaps donate everything to bethesda when this project nears completion. and they can do what they

want with it.

 

I think it will be wise to lay low, only team members working on the mod can have access to files etc.

What is your opinion guys? Think we need a debate on this.

 

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Perhaps closing the forums to guest, and allowing certain members access to certain sections?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Hey, you're the press-designated leader of the project, you decide :P

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

digitalparanoid

Now, and that's just my two cents : Bethesda has been aware of morroblivion for ages. I doubt they would be absolutely surprised by this initiative. So probably their feeling wouldn't change. If I even want to be optimistic, I would say that now that some gaming websites talked about us, should something happen, they will probably report it also and that would be bad publicity. Just my thoughts. (I'm not advocating for more publicity by saying so).

Not singling you out, just pointing out something about this statement: we're making the error of thinking of Bethesda as a single entity. There are doubtless people in Bethesda who think we're doing some awesome work here, but there will also be those (the business/legal-oriented folk) who will have an obligation to shut us down. It's easier to ignore us when we aren't in the news.

That said, let's hope I'm blowing this out of proportion! :D

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

makes sense.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

First of all, using unique textures and meshes will be very good (for example all our armor and weapon will be made from scratch)

Moreover, we could try to don't post for publicity our pre-pre-pre-alpha versions only share it with team etc

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Not singling you out, just pointing out something about this statement: we're making the error of thinking of Bethesda as a single entity. There are doubtless people in Bethesda who think we're doing some awesome work here, but there will also be those (the business/legal-oriented folk) who will have an obligation to shut us down. It's easier to ignore us when we aren't in the news.

Thats why i think its important to avoid using copyrighted meshes/textures.

When i think about it, the whole morrowind.esm file is most likely copyrighted also, with

all its landscape, mesh placements etc, and it wouldnt probably help creating the esm

from scratch either, because then it would probably fall under the rule of plagiarism lol :)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Hey, you're the press-designated leader of the project, you decide Tongue

No im not, you must be mistaken ;)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Ooops my bad. I can barely read english you know. Well I can barely read, period ;)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I'm not really involved with the project, but I'd hate to see all this fantastic effort go to waste because of some legal issues, especially if those can be avoided.

At one point I think I was led to understand that the issues around the original Morroblivion were something like this: some of the models for Morrowind were created by some subcontractor or something and licensed to be used in one game only, so that Bethesda were worried about getting sued by the subcontractor for using their models in TWO games rather than one. They forbade speaking of Morroblivion on social networking sites etc to avoid the impression the were endorsing the use of those specific models in more games than one. Am I correct?

If so, what I wonder is whether the models for Oblivion had the same legal issues?

If not, perhaps the converting Cyrodiil into Skyrim will be more palatable to Bethsoft / ZeniMax than Morrowind?

Also, using the remade models employed in Morroblivion as much as possible seems to be a very good idea for Skywind.

Just my 5 cents'.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Hey Eloth! Why did you bump down from Project Leader to Contributor? ;) ;) ;)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Guys, another thing I think we need to do if one of us makes any more promotional videos for Skywind, is to give credit where it's due, for example, really quick before or after the trailer in a video:

  • First and foremost, Bethesda, for making an awesome game (Morrowind) and game engine (Skyrim).
  • Secondly, the Morroblivion Project, because without them, we wouldn't have any of the meshes or textures we have to work with. 
  • Thirdly, the Andoran Project. I think people are starting to forget how Anry and the Andoran Project are the ones who supplied us with a converter, and without that, we wouldn't be anywhere close to where we are right now.
  • Fourthly, Eloth, for his amazing textures and meshes he's blowing our minds away with. Without those pics, we would definitely have not gotten nearly as much attention as we are right now (whether you view that as a good or bad thing.)
  • And the rest of the guys working hard on the Skywind Project. I was going to name everyone out, but I know I would miss someone. Just know that you are important, and that this is all for a better cause, so people who maybe could not enjoy Morrowind before, can now enjoy that amazing experience in a new updated engine.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I lol'd.

 

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?uen4u45zhdeizf4

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

HAHAHAHAHA! OMG  :bigsmile:

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

http://www.generation-nt.com/skywind-morrowind-dans-skyrim-video-171662.html

another french article

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Mehh

Golden Phoenix

It is sad what i can't help Skywind now :( But i want to join after we complete Andoran!

Here new podcast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWBzhw-hH5g&feature=g-u-u


Neat, I hope there will be an english version, because I'll try ya mod when it's finished.

Sure, there will be english version.  ;)

P.S. Andoran is very close to Morrowind so you will love it!

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

malgarroth

I lol'd.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?uen4u45zhdeizf4

Well, if Bethesda didn't know about Skywind before they sure do now....  Posted on the front Steam page for Skyrim, now that is fuuuuuny. :D

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I am the guy trying to put the master file together for this project and love doing the work and seeing this amazing mod grow.:)

But I store the installer which installs the master on mediafire,and mediafire have my email address and proberly IP,so I am am right on the front line as far as Beth is concerned,because no master = no project.

I am not concerned about the above...but maybe I should be.?

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Yeah, I agree, you are all doing amazing work, not just one guy (girl? I don't even know, lol). I was brought to the site by PC Gamers article and I plan on helping out alot, so, the attention can't be all bad!

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Trailbreaker

Yeah, I agree, you are all doing amazing work, not just one guy (girl? I don't even know, lol). I was brought to the site by PC Gamers article and I plan on helping out alot, so, the attention can't be all bad!


It's made by the Skywind team, and there is no 'I' in team!

If ya wanna help, it depends on what you know. If you don't know a whole lot, I suggest you check out the npc conversation thread. That job is easy, just tedious. We even have a video guide on it!
http://morroblivion.com/forums/conversion-to-skyrim/conversion-to-skyrim/2483
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

On skyrim nexus

 

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/news/185/

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

digitalparanoid

On skyrim nexus

 

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/news/185/

 


Effing christ, a member I used to think was pretty cool, and actually like is being a complete dick in the comments. Boy has my opinion changed on him.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

who? i saw a lot of depressing comments there

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Don't let it get you down, 'tis the nature of the internet sometimes.

My overall impression is that the people who are working on Skywind are doing so because THEY want to play it.

So the TESNexus community are bitching, f*ck 'em. It's not like anybody is getting paid.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Yea, don't let the Nexus get ya down. I used to be quite active there, and yeah, I'm glad I'm no longer. Oh, and I'd rather not name drop on who it is.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Beth has Tesnexus by the balls so much, it's not even funny. If Beth told them to sell their moms and sisters on the streets, they'd do it.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Clint

Beth has Tesnexus by the balls so much, it's not even funny. If Beth told them to sell their moms and sisters on the streets, they'd do it.


That's actually pretty true. Some of the users still even refuse to try out Morroblivion because Beth told them not to.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

The Nexus has spread the word D: Is this bad news?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Well no one from Bethesda has barged in with a full team of lawyers yet, so so far so good?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

The Skywind news thread on the Nexus was closed. Only took them a day or two, but hey, they're quite fast to close it huh? =p

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Also there's a thread on the official forums talking about skywind. The moderator closed it, only saying they can't discuss it on the forum due to re-use of assets. Same old, same old, I'd say.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Nws thread got closed on Nexus, but you can still leave comments using the news section of the site. That'll sure show those users for talking about a forbidden mod!

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

digitalparanoid

Also there's a thread on the official forums talking about skywind. The moderator closed it, only saying they can't discuss it on the forum due to re-use of assets. Same old, same old, I'd say.


Got a link to the thread? I tried searching for it, but I don't wanna register. I did find this thread while looking for it http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1406017-dawnguard-or-shivering-isles/ How is that even a comparison? Dawnguard gave us a couple new things and umm stuck in 3rd person view vampires. While SI gave us a whole new world >_>
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1412517-skywind/page__p__21567090#entry21567090

Anyway, and that's just my opinion, this place and this project shouldn't be used to ill speak of Bethesda, Bethesda Forums, or Skyrim nexus. Their sites, their rules. I think we have enough work in front of us to use our energy in more constructive ways ;)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)