Skip to main content

I got banned from tes nexus

Submitted by Ice on

Hey guys. I just went to tes nexus and found out I've been banned. =/

Here's a link to the tes nexus site rules regarding bans, which I found while researching my ban. ;)

Well, I guess I'll make a new account just for downloads.

I'll move any mods that were there (that pertain to Morroblivion) to media fire and list them in the Morroblivion Mods files thread.

Whelp, that's a bummer, but what did I expect, working on a site that was banned? I guess it's fair, though I wish morroblivion wasn't banned. Oh well, Morroblivion is still the best mod project out there. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT10-16-2011: IT TURNS OUT I WAS NOT BANNED FOR MORROBLIVION MODS. I WAS BANNED FOR UPLOADING A MOD THAT I DIDN'T REALIZE CONTAINED MESHES THAT HAD BEEN RIPPED FROM ANOTHER GAME. I HAVE NOW BEEN UNBANNED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Thinking about this ban has made me appreciate you guys all the more. I love that even though Mororblivion's been banned its still protected with an installer. I love that this site works to maintain integerity. 

Now that I'm banned, I have a model to follow. I have your guys' model to follow. Thanks for giving me that model. :D

Karma: 0 (0 votes)
Last edited by Ice on 16 Oct 2011 - 13:27.

I would say Bethesda is putting pressure on Tesnexus to stop this (purely a guess though). People can get it from this forum anyway.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Wow, so Tesnexus is Bethesda's little bitc}{ ?
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I think you may be right Speedy.

Haha, I appreciate the support Robert, but its a weird situation, because without bethesda, we wouldn't have morroblivion, and withotu tes nexus, I think we'ed be a lot worse off too. I totally disagree with their descision to ban Morroblivion etc, but I still like the companies a lot if I look at it from a distance. I guess it's a love hate relationship, lol

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Yeah...I guess you're right, Iceberg. Like any company, they're protecting its assets. Still sucks though. Why don't they give you a warning for why they're about to ban you? So they just ban you?
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Yes, we live in a world run by lawyers. 

I sincerely doubt Bethesda cares anymore, but the lawyers just might.

In any case, most likely it is a mod on TESNexus who is bummed about their real life and is excercising their "power" to compensate.  Feh.

 

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Post Removed

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Bethesda wouldn't care if Morroblivion only included their assets but they borrowed a few from other companies to use in Morrowind and Morrowind only and since we are using them in Oblivion the companies could sue Bethesda so Bethesda banned the file to send the other companies the message that Morroblivion is not official and that they are removing it from every official site. Since this site has nothing got to do with Bethesda they aren't making us delete it. But what makes me wonder is, why did they remove this mod? They only remove things that allow you to download Morroblivion itself. They don't care about mods dependant on Morroblivion unless it has a link to Morroblivion. Type "Morroblivion" into search, there are tons of mods for Morroblivion that have been up for years and they haven't been removed. So you shouldn't have been banned and the file shouldn't have been deleted. Maybe you had a link to Morroblivion? If not then that moderator is stupid.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Robert: thanks for the support man. And ya, it stinks.

I'm wondering the same thing... I think I may get on tes nexus and ask them to make their banning process better: like banning certain files instead of the whole mod, and explaining 'why' that mod was bad. I thought since (as Vivec said) there were other mods for Morroblivion, I was okay. So I'm still really guessing as to the exact reason I was banned. =/

Thermador: =/ You wonder. Who knows? If I knew exactly why I was banned it would help...

SB: That's not a bad idea, but on the other hand I dislike valve and like bethesda. Bethesda has let people mod themselves, while valve seems to want to guess what people want and then mod it FOR them. I hope bethesda doesn't continue to become more like valve, and give less and less power to the people. :/

Vivec: Ya I think you're totally right here. Trying to follow the rules, I listed Morroblivion as one of the required files everytime. Lol, maybe Ironically that's what got me. For the Morroblivion in Tamriel, I added an optional mod that made an external to mournhold in tamriel: that used morroblivion meshes. It got deleted shortly after, so I re-uploaded Morroblivion in tamriel, but not the mournhold mod. So I thought I put out that fire.

I also had put up a mod that gave a quest to some Halo Armor resource files that another guy had made. It dissapeared, but I thoguth it was because I hadn't gotten experss permission from the author, so I put it back up after I had gotton that permission, but maybe there was something bad about that file too.

So who knows, maybe I'll ask tes nexus to make their banning process clearer... lol, that seems somewhat ironic.

Thanks for the support though people, it makes having to re-upload all my mods a lot less painful. :)

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Maybe you left a link to this site on the page by accident or maybe the moderator thought that you were letting people download morrowind files even though you weren't.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

maybe we should find out which assets that is borrowed, and see if we can come up with

replacements?

who will volunteer to send bethesda a mail and find out? In a descreetly manner of course :)

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I would, I'll try my best to sound professional but I doubt they would ever reply to such a message. Maybe we can find out some other way, they could have even mentioned in the credits(but I doubt it). 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

After contacting Dante he said that you uploaded Morroblivion itself. I told him that he misunderstood you and that you only uploaded a mod that allows you to walk to Morrowind if you have Morroblivion, he just said "Why are you even bothered? He hasn't posted an appeal" so I think the best thing is for you to post an appeal explaining what you actually did.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Seconding Vivec. Contact 'em and see what they say.

With regards to the licensed Morrowind content, I'm willing to bet it's something like the shoe textures - a lot of them are photos of actual shoes, and look like historical examples from a museum.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I'm not sure Bethesda would want to pay a company for a licence to use a shoe textures, especially for one game only.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

You'd be surprised... It may have been cheaper to pay for stock or specific licence photos that they could wrap around a mesh, than to hire an artist to create from scratch.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

iceburg: As Vivec suggested above, I think you should appeal the ban as it was a misunderstanding. Damn moderator did not even read the mod description it appears *angry*

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Personally I think that the 'third-party asset' problem is irrelevent. There are several other issues:

1) Morroblivion ( both the current installer and the old ESPconverter) lets you bypass Morrowind's original Copyright-Protection mechanism (requiring the original CD in one's drive while playing). So in essense it can be thought of as a work-around NO-CD crack <--- thats not something that Bethesda would allow.

2) On the official forums the stance is that:

“Using assets from one game in another, even if those games are made by the same company and you own both the games, is not permitted.”

So the whole concept of "Morroblivion" is illegal, no matter how it is achieved.

3) Morroblivion is currently a complete, downloadable package with all Morrowind Assets packed into it, if Bethesda was unhappy about a conversion-utility ... how can we expect then how can we expect them to accept an upload of the entire game.

^^^ There is no going back on this ... first of all much of the Morrowind's content (scripts, quests, dialouge, creatures, animated objects and particle effects) can not be converted by the utility and so have been manually converted and need to be shared as complete files; further the conversion process tends to produce different results for different people (often missing out meshes and textures at random).

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

You don't get it do you. Google "Fallout new vegas requiem". The first result is for a mod on Tes Nexus that is exactly like Morroblivion except for Fallout 3 and NV.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

And he shouldn't have been banned for uploading a mod that requires Morroblivion because there are tons of others on Tes Nexus that haven't been deleted and the uploaders aren't banned. Dante was being an idiot.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Simmer down now fellas.  This is really no big deal.  Hashmi's post above is by far the most informative and realistic analysis of the situation.

DO NOT contact Bethesda.  Currently they most likely think the Morroblivion project is long dead, and I would like to keep it that way.

Legal contracts are what they are.  The goal of Morroblivion is to eventually reach a mod package that does not use any textures or meshes from the original Morrowind, as those are the in-game assets that are legally questionable, and hopefully we'll get there.  Eloth and Hashmi's texture work has been a huge help here.

And in any case, since Morroblivion is a community site that does not charge fees, display advertising, or ask for donations, Bethesda would have little legal ground behind them -- in its current state, Morroblivion quite clearly falls under fair use.  See the Disclaimer for more information.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Hasmi didn't get the point though. There are tons of Morroblivion mods that hadn't been removed so Iceburg shouldn't have been banned and if the fallout NV mod "A requiem for a dream" is allowed then Morroblivion should be too if what Hashmi said was right. The reason why Morroblivion isn't allowed and it's Fallout NV counterpart is, is because Morrowind used assests that Bethesda were allowed to use for Morrowind only so they banned talk on Morrowind on every official site in case they got sued. They asked Tes Nexus to do the same and Tes Nexus did it too.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Vivec, I'm blown away that you  even mailed tes nexus on my behalf. I really really appreciate that.

What Hashmi said makes sense, and Thermador as well. We definitly don't want bethesda finding out about this site and having to 'come down on us'. I love the idea by Eloth and Thermador of reaching a point where we don't use origional meshes, that would be a glorious day. :D

I've been thinking about appealing and asking them to give more info about a ban so people can do better at avoiding them, but I have no idea how to. I'm banned, so I can't make a post or even log in. How do you appeal a ban? Do you have to create a new account?

"Why are you even bothered? He hasn't posted an appeal" -That's awesome you went to bat for me Vivec; as soon as I figure out how to I will make an appeal. And I'm glad you're bothered!

Haha, Uploading morroblivion itself, I wish it were that easy!

Anithinks: Haha dude, I appreciate the consolation. We have to give the guy the benifit of the doubt though, but ya hopefully that was the misunderstanding....

Thanks everybody for the encouragment etc. :D

 

EDIT: I sent an appeal through the contact section. If anyone knows of a better way please let me know. I'll keep you all posted on what happens: hopefully this was a big misunderstanding after all.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

@Vivec: I was talking about Bethesda and not Nexus. The Nexus didn't ban morroblivion until Bethsoft sent a personal request to the Nexus admin ... and even then they have allowed for mods dependent on Morroblivion (unlike Bethesda which immediately locks any threads on the official forum which even mention the name of morroblivion).

As far as I know (and I might be wrong), but Fallout new vegas requiem isn't accepted on the official forums ... and it might not be long before it receives legal threats and eventually gets taken down from the Nexus on Bethesda's request.

I think its a mistake to think that Bethesda would ever change their stance on us ... it is a very intolerant company when it comes to legal stuff: earlier this year it took down the "Morrowind Graphics and Sound Overhaul" for missing out permission from some modders ... and now they have filed a lawsuit against Minecraft's dev for using the word "scrolls" as a working title for their new game (they say it infringes their trade mark "The Elder Scrolls").

The only chance of us getting acceptance is probably when(if) Morrowind gets released as a free game like Arena and Daggerfall .. or if we manage to replace all art assets with 'made from scratch' material (which could take decades considering the current level of assistance that we get).

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

It's scary when you step back and look at it Hashmi. And I'm sure morrowind won't go free for decades either. Not until its as massivly outdated as a dos game is today... =/

A'corse there's a good chance some of us may still be playing it then too... lol

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Tell us what the reply is. I don't care about my nexus account so I'm willing to take on the moderators to try and get you unbanned.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I've been thinking, would Planet Elder Scrolls allow us to upload Morroblivion? 

To Thermador and Hasmi: Bethesda don't think we're dead. They probably have people watching this website every once in a while. This site isn't hidden, in a google search it's top of the list when you type "Morroblivion". The reason why they haven't tried to remove this site is because as long as the companies they got the assets from know that Morroblivion is completely unofficial then they can't sue Bethesda. They could be sued if this was possible with the CS alone but since we used tons of other tools it isn't Bethesda's fault it was possible for us to make this. The copmany Bethesda borrowed to assests from can't sue Bethesda for a completely unofficial hack(since this used a converter it is more of a hack then a mod)that was only made possible by tons of unofficial modding tools.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I'll let you know as soon as I get a reply....

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

So would Planet Elder Scrolls allow us???

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I have no idea. *eyebrow raise

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Is anyone willing to contact the PES staff?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

 

I've been thinking, would Planet Elder Scrolls allow us to upload Morroblivion? 

To Thermador and Hasmi: Bethesda don't think we're dead. They probably have people watching this website every once in a while. This site isn't hidden, in a google search it's top of the list when you type "Morroblivion". The reason why they haven't tried to remove this site is because as long as the companies they got the assets from know that Morroblivion is completely unofficial then they can't sue Bethesda. They could be sued if this was possible with the CS alone but since we used tons of other tools it isn't Bethesda's fault it was possible for us to make this. The copmany Bethesda borrowed to assests from can't sue Bethesda for a completely unofficial hack(since this used a converter it is more of a hack then a mod)that was only made possible by tons of unofficial modding tools.

 

 

+1

Exactly my thoughts as well, Vivec. We're not exactly hidden, and as you said, we're number one on Google search. I'm 99% sure that Bethesda knows we're still active, but doesn't do anything since we're "unofficial." So I personally don't see the harm in contacting Bethesda.

We're not pirates here, and that's something I know we all agree on. So I know Bethesda can't get on us for that.

Good idea about Planet Elder Scrolls. I'm interested in what they'll say, even though I'm pretty sure they'll respond the same way as TES Nexus.

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Yeah I think they'll be the same as Tes Nexus but they have never been as conected to Bethesda as Tes Nexus are now, even before Tes Nexus came and stole it's thunder. I think we should try contacting the administrator of PES and tell him how we have improved and made Morroblivion much more legal since we were banned. Then maybe, just maybe he will allow us to upload Morroblivion there.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I like this idea a lot, but make sure that Thermador and David and some other project leads feel comfortable with it first, as its always a gamble. Just to make sure we play everything real well.

On a different note, does anyone know how you're supposed to appeal a ban on tes nexus, when you've been banned?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Yeah, Iceberg is right. We shouldn't contact anybody until we have the approval of the project leads.

Nah man, I don't know how to appeal a ban. Vivec, do you think you could look into that, since it looks like you've already done some digging?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I don't know. Maybe you could write a ban appeal here and I'll PM Dante it?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

That sounds good Vivec, if you don't mind. I saved the appeal I sent through the contact thing. Let me edit it and add some details and I'll post it here. Thanks man!

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Bump, none of this would have happened if Dante wasn't an idiot... :angry:

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I can`t understand why morroblivion is banned,as all who use it have to install Morrowind and Oblivion,surely that is keeping them on the market and making them more money,,,,wierd!.

Or are Beth just pulling thier hair out because they never thought of doing it themselves....childish!

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Well there are two reasons : They would get sued because Morrowind used assets that Bethesda borrowed from other companies for Morrowind only and since this mod allows you to use them in Oblivion, Bethesda banned Morroblivion so the companies that they borrowed the assets from wouldn't sue them. And the second is this can actually allow someone who didn't be Morrowind to play Morroblivion. How? Because the only thing that protected Morrowind was you had to have the dvd in your computer but with this you only have to have the Oblivion dvd. So someone could just pirate Morrowind and be able to play Morroblivion without even needing a no dvd crack because Morroblivion doesn't need the Morrowind disc to be in, you only have to have Morrowind installed. You don't even have to download Morrowind from any pirate site, if your friend has Morrowind all you have to do is borrow their disc to install Morrowind, give it back and then you can install Morroblivion and play Morrowind in Oblivion via Morroblivion. Your friend can do this with all his friends so soon everyone in town can play Morroblivion without having to buy Morrowind as long as they own Oblivion.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I understand Vivec,but when you say Beth borrowed some assets,imo they should have purchased those assets instead,that way Beth would have had the right to maybe [if they wished] help modders achieve what imo they should have done themselves,but morroblivion will get finished and at least then some of us will get to play the whole story in one go.

I am playing morrowind [morroblivion] from the start and then intend to just get the amulet of kings and carry on into oblivion.

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Hey Vivec, here's my appeal:

"Hello, I was recently banned. A friend emailed the moderator, 'The Vampire Dante', and the moderator said I was banned for uploading Morroblivion. He also said "Why are you even bothered? He hasn't posted an appeal". I can't seem to find an official way to appeal, so I sent a message to the site author through the contact section, and I'm hoping to appeal through my friend as well.

I uploaded esps that were Morroblivion related, (some even required Morroblivion), but I didn't upload morroblivion. I'd really appreciate knowing why I was banned and what files I was banned for, as I believe I may have been banned due to a misunderstanding. I have no desire to break site rules, and I've been careful to follow the rules I was familiar with, such as giving credit to authors who have let me use their work.

"For a first strike offense members will normally be warned of an impending strike by a moderator and told to stop the wrong act they are performing" I have seen my mods disappear three times. I now realize this was probably my three strikes. Unfortunately, I was never told I was doing something wrong, or what it was I was doing wrong. Consequently, I've made my best guess at what could be wrong and attempted to fix it before re-posting whatever mod there was. I repeat: To my knowledge, I had no explanation at any point as to why a mod was removed, until after I was banned.

I'd appreciate your consideration and would be willing to submit files for approval or whatever's necessary.  If the ban wasn't a misunderstanding and is permanent, I'd appreciate knowing what file was offensive and why.

I believe I had three mods that required Morroblivion (and I've seen many others on tes nexus that do the same) and 6 mods that were related to other things. For example a spell sorter for midas magic or a menu replacer that replaces the map loop with the Skyrim trailer.

Thank you for your time and keep up the good work,

Iceburg333"

I'd really appreciate it if you sent it to the moderator, along with any good words you can spare. :D

If anyone else has the time, it'd be awesome if you sent him a message on my behalf as well, perhaps we can recover my account by popular account. :D I'm up for following rules and what not, and I'd like to keep using tes nexus, so any help would be appreciated.

Of course, I already appreciate the people of Morroblivion anyhow.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I sent it to DarkOne.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Sweet. Thank you Vivec. :D

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

nexus has been instant banning people alot these days,  often time s people are uninfomre, furthermore they allow anyone to see who was banned or not, instead of just emailing them.

with that said  I have a few thoughts

morroblivion uses vanilla morrowind assets which is a big no no, you cant use cross assets from another game, even if it is the same franchise or from the same company, and as we have learned for a good reasion.

morroblivon is an illegal mod, I am sure bethesda is aware of  this site, but from what I hetrthey follow the  rule of "if you dont ask we wont make a rule about it" , if someone emialed bethesda about morroblivon, then this site could be potentially taken down by legal action....so dont bring up  morroblivion to them.

morroblivion uses several resources from other authors, I dont know whether we have gained permission from said authors, but if not we should start looking into makeing our OWN textures since we could get into allot of trouble, I mean has anyone heard what happend to the morrowind visual pack 2011 author ? yeah not good

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

The wierd thing imo,is that the nexus site has 44 morroblivion related files,some of which have been downloaded over 1000+ times and there is even a graphics user interface program there that includes or can be used with the converter.

Surely if the nexus mods really wanted to discourage the use of morroblivion there would not be any morro mods on the site.?

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Idk.. cant ansewer that one

 

anyway I personally dont like the nexus aside from the way they will arbitrarly ban people ,although most do deserve it. there is also too much damn   HGEC files and female textures, I mean really mods for nails,bouncing boobx (boobs dont bounce in leather, it would be chaffing), the endless amount of sleazy female only armor, it makes me wonder if some people play the games just to do dress up...

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Ironman brings up a very good point. There is quite the precident that shows that mods FOR morroblivion are totally fine. Only mods that ARE morroblivion are 'banned' (I don't believe they're actually illigal).

 

Elderago: Ya no kidding. I'm equally weary of seeing the hot files are always about dressing up girls. I want a good adventure or a castle or something like Morroblivion. But other than that (and my ban :P) I really like Tes nexus.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

yes this is true  no wonder why slof forbids here mods from being used for such things as hgec (I dont like henti anyways anyways and it certainly is not gentelmanly)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I know you folks don't like my posts since I seem to anger anyone who reads them, but I think you need to leave Bethesda and the Nexus alone and just quietly make morroblivion better and more playable without getting involved in someone's legal battles. You can't help Iceburg333 - he has to do that himself. Being 'banned' is not a bad thing ... I quit putting any of my mods on the Nexus. The site has become just one more "Bethesda Clone" and can't be trusted. I never visit any of the 'official sites'. I've been a member at the Nexus since 2004 and have watched the site grow and become more restrictive every year. It's sad. So, feel free to delete this post if I offend anyone .. no PMs please, I won't read them.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)