Skip to main content

Skywind Project Release [Updated 4 November 2013]

Submitted by Shadow on

Skywind v0.9 Released!

Skywind is a remake of Morrowind in the Skyrim game. It is a large mod that really plays like an entirely new game. As such it is a very large download at about 3.5GB. It has several plugins (a master file and patch) and all the graphics and sounds to make up the world of Morrowind. Skywind is in an Alpha state, meaning you can move around the world, interact with a few things, but the full content of questing, gameplay and many other various elements are not part of the game yet. These Alpha releases are more for getting people interested, inspired and up-to-date with development so they can help with the project. This is truly one of the most open public forums for developing an Elder Scrolls mod and we rely on the the continuous addition of contributors for the success of a playable game. When you can finish the main quest line with much of the game elements in use, we will update the status of Skywind to Beta. Please consider how you can contribute in any small way when you see the potential of one of the best games being developed for 2013/2014.

Because we are introducing expanding content and code, bugs will occur between releases. You are as much our testers as anyone, so please report anything but be specific, otherwise your posts will be ignored.

We are also going to reduce the number of public releases we do. If you are interested in joining our development team, we have development releases to make sure that everybody has the latest version. These releases are regular.

If you are interested in helping with the project please read this thread.

 


Important Notes

  • REQUIRED: Skyrim and Morrowind Game of the Year (GOTY), or Morrowind plus the Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansions. These can be installed in any location of your choice, but they must be installed on your computer.
     
  • Originally, Morrowind had almost no voice acting, however if you wish to experience Skywind with voices, head on over to the Voice Acting Thread where you can download (or help create) some quality voices!
     
  • The changelog for all versions can be found on the Skywind Project History Thread.

 


Installation Steps

1: Download the latest Skywind Installer and run the contained SkywindInstaller.exe, then follow the onscreen instructions.

You may have to run the program as an administrator. This copies the required plugins to your Skyrim folder that you want to install Skywind to. They are separate from the Complete Skywind Installation Pack, because you are required to have Morrowind already installed on your PC.

The current file is dated 4 November 2013. (Fixed Windows 8 bug in installer)

1a: Download the Skywind Installer ( 0.9.0.1 )

 

1b: Download the Skywind Assets Pack ( 0.9.0.1 )

Extract the content ("textures", "meshes" etc...) of the both the complete installation and any update packs directly to your Skyrim/data folder.  All files should be placed in the same directory structure as the downloaded file, so look for the "Data" folder in the download and copy/merge to your Skyrim Data subfolders.

If you have "free-falling" issues its because you have not put the files in the correct place. You must have "...\data\meshes\morrowind\..." and "...\data\textures\morrowind\..." in your Skyrim folder.

Upgrading: The complete installation is now at v0.9.0.1. If you have previously installed an earlier complete install, please download the latest version and just let it overwrite your current install.

2: Enable Skywind.esm and Skywind - Patch.esp in your launcher or mod manager, and please make sure the Skywind - Patch.esp is at the bottom of your load order.

You can either start a new game where you will be given the option of beginning in Skyrim or Morrowind, or you can Download This Mod, which will place a Dragonborn style mapmarkers to allow you to travel back and forth between Morrowind and Skyrim.

And last but not least, check out the Official Skywind mods list

 


Notes on Future Updates

As updates happen over the course of the project we will have patches that you can download and install in sequence as they become available. Our complete package will be updated to include these updates, but for most users because it is such a large download, the patches will be more desirable. These patches will be based lined from Skywind 0.8.0 onwards. They will include the change log of what has been added or changed.

Keep in mind that this is an extreme alpha, and many things do not work at all. Right now what we can do is limited, so if you are good with anything in the CK, please let us know, and start working on something.  And once again, if you have a bug and wish to report it, please be as specific as possible, or your posts will be ignored.

That’s it!  Have fun.

Installation video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZyukMSzwf0

 


Working with Skywind in Creation Kit

Due to a large size of Skywind.esm, the Creation Kit can't load all of its records together with Skyrim.esm. This leads to "out of array handle" errors and random objects being removed from cells.

You need to download a stripped down version of Skyrim.esm which was originally from SureAI.de Resources.  It is from the authors of Nehrim conversion for Oblivion, and they most likely have the same problems with CK and large mods.

Before running CK replace skyrim.esm with this version, when starting the game restore the original back. If you are trying to load a saved game but it drops to desktop, you most likely forgot to restore the original master.

Also, here is small program to do the master switching automatically. It is basic, but it gets the job done: Download Skywind Exchanger.

Click here for a full tutorial on getting set up to work with Skywind in the Creation Kit.

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Okay, apparently your Morrowind meshes aren't in the correct location. I haven't seen this bug in quite a while, but les see.

First go to your Skyrim folder, then look for a folder called "Data" and inside of that folder, you should find a folder called "meshes", open that and use the Windows search feature and search for the following without quotes "*prisonship.nif"(yes, include the star).

Tell me the location of that mesh file, and if you cannot find it, search for it in your data folder(which would mean you installed everything in the wrong location).

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Thanxxxxxxxxxxx Oh damn prisonship.nif is not in Skyrim but in the location where I DL the files. So it's an extract prob. With the version before the prisonship appeared greatly. Is it possible that those prob comes from skyrim assets bsa ? I have tryied to unpack those but the bsa commander won't open those. Will try to put those stuff by hand in the right folders. "sorry for my bad English I am french".
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Who can do the right deck of a boat? Boards are perpendicular to the direction of the ship. Boards must lie parallel to the ship.

Attachment Size
seyda.jpg (external) 488.19 KB

Attachments

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Thanks for that, something most people wouldn't pick up on! I'll rotate it 90 degress ftw.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Since was asked, I thought I'd just throw out there that touching the ash piles in Crypts and Temples causes me to immediately crash to desktop. The Spiral Stairs in Imperial towers/forts also does this. But only when I actually move my character into contact with them.

It's a consistent thing, I've tested it.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

^ Second part with the spiral stairs was already fixed. I didn't know about the tombs causing ctds, which tomb caused you to crash? lol

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Great work as always!

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Just any of them as soon as I touch the round ash pit things. It's fine so long as I don't bump any of those.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

How far is this done? I tried Morroblivion half a year ago. Lots of bugged quests. Other than that, awesome job!

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Will it be redone in the slightest detail? I mean by this, vanilla Morrowind had lots of "secrets", lots of hidden artifacts and such.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

QUESTION!:

If we play on this alpha state of the game, after further updates and further advancement such as beta and final release, will the alpha game save still work on any future updated version of the Skywind?

 

Har

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

You should consider the current versions as tests. Walk around, test some quests, give feedback.

We might find bugs that require a new game to be started in later versions...

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I am tempted to do some interior cell edits for improving dungeons. Mind you ive said similar things before. Would it be ok for me to use the .7 release that is installed on my system instead of downloading the .8? Because I don't know when yall are releasing .9 and don't want to have to download skywind 2x.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I guess for dungeons it should be ok.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Hey Guys,

ive played skywind since v.01 was released :) but i always was wondering whether you can install skywind and skyblivion at the same time .

now my question : is it possible ? Will it be possible ?

 

sry for bad english

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Yes it is possible (although at the moment there's no travel mod whatsoever so you need to use the console).

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Thanks man :) 

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Just to clarify, the downloads in the first post are the latest updates? If there's any more files since such as voice/textures or anything really could you tell me please :)

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Steve:

V0.8 is the latest public release. It contains everything that was released so far (obv. the project is far from completed)

There's also a list of optional downloads.

http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-mod-releases/5650

Enjoy!

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Yay, the new release and easy downloads let me play. Yay! Good job making it easy guys.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Just came here to say how awesome you guys are and thank you laugh. I played the crap out of morroblivion and cant wait for skywind and skyblivion.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

just an idea:

Try teaming up with this guy: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/22793/? for his awesome armors. If you take the armor it will save work and they work/look perfect!

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

I've seen a glitch where the stairs are too high and you have to jump up them. The map marker the Dwemer cube shows you to the wrong chamber. Could you make it so that it has the use WASD to move like it did in skyrim after Alduin attacked. Also have it say E to open. Make it so you don't have to wait for the guard in the beginning boat to let you go to the character creation. Everything like the dagger, lock pick and guild chests are considered stealing. Guards don't walk around on streets. I crash entering Vivec. What does the dagger of Judgement do since we don't have endurance or strength. And the dialog is messed up and confusing. If you could put categories: Ex. CC (blades leader guy) "Blades Member, Orders, People (involved in orders), miscellaneous" he has like 1000000 dialog options in one line. HOPE THESE HELPED

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Dude those armours don't even look good... ANd as forf the stairs, everyone knows about them but we haven't gotten around to fixing all of them. The stairs up to Arrille's tradehouse are an example of fixed stairs.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

that isn't the only glitch I said and I said "HOPE THESE HELP" which means if they are already found it doesn't matter but if they weren't it was cool. What about my other spotted glitches/stuff not done. Have those been found? And about the armor, I see why they aren't "perfect" and really hd, but why so harsh? I'M ALSO A "Newbie" so I wouldn't know anything. 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Think it’s more that members get sick of random people suggesting things to do and include. In other words don’t suggest things we should do. Just become a contributor yourself or get others involved in the project to get stuff included.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Omg yay, sjors understands :) Jeez I think I get it the worst... You Tube comments :|

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

For newbs, it's a huge project that requires a lot of work, and those of us working on it can only do so much. If you are comfortable with the CK, or other modding tools, help. There are tons of little things that need to be fixed, so, the you should do this, or you should do that stuff is sometimes more of an irritant than a help. Some of these folks have been working on it far longer than I, so I can imagine them getting annoyed by it. Don't take it personal.

Lot's of progress has been made since I've been working on it, so be patient, or help, but if you are going to help, don't half ass it. Having the rest of us clean up your work is not going to get the game done any sooner.

I see something wrong, I fix it, make an esp and share it. Then that fix get's added to the main file. That's how this process works.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Hi everyone,

I've been following this project for a couple years now but have never registered or posted til today. Morrowind is still my favorite Elder Scrolls game. I was so excited when I found out Skywind would be possible. The game looks amazing so far!!! I went running around exploring for hours!!! :)

I had one issue though other than a couple random crashes here and there (not nearly as many as morroblivion :) I installed all the voice files on the optional downloads page but nobody's saying anything. Any ideas?

I wish I knew how to use the creation kit to help out. I've tried before and failed miserably. :/ I did take some cool screenshots of the ghostgate, an ash slave and zombie, netches, dagoth ur, vivec and some dwemer ruins (inside and out) while exploring. I was wondering if I could post them here or send them to you to check out if you want to maybe put them in the gallery.

Thanks for all the hard work and making this possible!!! :D

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

There's a Skywind screenshots thread you can put those pictures up on, also for the voice acting there are only a handful of characters done for Skywind so most people won't say anything
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Not all the voice files are done yet. Mostly bits and pieces of main quest dialouge.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

What about the other glitches, did you not know about any of them?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

LASentry

Omg yay, sjors understands :) Jeez I think I get it the worst... You Tube comments :|

 

I hear you on that, and I haven't made a video in a while... sheesh indecision

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Yeah I still watch your vids though, to see all of the development :D

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

LASentry

Yeah I still watch your vids though, to see all of the development :D

I've been wanting to make a new one, but I'm waiting for the next version of Skywind and Ormin's meshes for Skyblivion. Lot of progress I don't want to neglect. But I hope they are close to being finished, I've been waiting for a few months now, and am getting hammered by those sincere Youtube comments you were talking about. cheeky

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

You mean version 1.0? That won't be out for a few months since 0.9 just came out :D Oh and yeah, I'm not sure what's happening with Ormin, I've barely seen him on. 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

He was on yesterday.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Yes, well I wasn't. 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

LASentry

You mean version 1.0? That won't be out for a few months since 0.9 just came out :D Oh and yeah, I'm not sure what's happening with Ormin, I've barely seen him on. 

 

0.9 just came out? It's late so I'm probably not seeing something, but this thread hasn't been updated (still says 0.8 from July 31st) and I can't find mention of 0.9 anywhere.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Apav

LASentry

You mean version 1.0? That won't be out for a few months since 0.9 just came out :D Oh and yeah, I'm not sure what's happening with Ormin, I've barely seen him on. 

 

0.9 just came out? It's late so I'm probably not seeing something, but this thread hasn't been updated (still says 0.8 from July 31st) and I can't find mention of 0.9 anywhere.


We were supposed to have a release last Sunday, but a few things happened, which happen to delay things. The next release should be this weekend. On the bright side, the Hlaalu quests will make it in and probably the Ogrim.
Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Skywind 0.9.0 has been released! Check first post.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Change log hasn't been updated yet, what's the major differences(Cant download just yet)?

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Since 0.8: http://pastebin.com/ZHV5WZmm

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

New download link is up, sorry for the troubles.

 

 

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Eloth told me I should host a mirror for the assets zip cheeky       https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B05L-QAi7xESYk5McmVsSkVwc0E/edit?usp=sharing

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

updated download link for the assets mirror.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Hey guys. I have a problem with the Skywind Installer. For some reason, it keeps saying "Not found Morrowind on your computer! I have Morrowind installed in the default Steam subdirectory. I haven't moved it and i'm not sure why the installer is telling me its not found or installed. 0.7 and 0.8 worked fine. Here is a picture of my Steam library with Morrowind installed and the error message. If someone could please help that would be awesome. Thanks.

Attachment Size
Morrowindnotfound.jpg (external) 255.07 KB

Attachments

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

Anyone have a assets link that works?

Both are down with that stupid "sorry" message.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

both links should work now

Karma: 0 (0 votes)

youtube.com/watch?v=LhQvZETtAYs

 

Will tell you how to bypass the links not working. They're up again xD. If you have a gmail account then you can use this, if you don't get one and then do it...or wait.

 

If you have questions post below and I'll do my best to answer.

Karma: 0 (0 votes)